Options

landscape focus question

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 12, 2006 in Technique
landscapes....
when i shoot birds, i focus on the bird obviously. But when it comes to landscapes i'm a "bird brain". Suppose your standing on the bank of a river looking out onto the wide river ( and there are boats and other things of interest in the river ) and across the other side where in the background there are mountains in the far off distance. So lets say I want to take a picture that shows as much of the scene sharp and in focus as possible. Where do I focus?? And do I strive for f/8 and higher? This is just an example ( and maybe a bad example ) of situations when im not sure where i should be "focusing". I remember Andy once telling me something about either 1/3 or 2/3... out in the distance..
if im not clear about what im asking I apologise in advance..... but i think you get the idea.

troy

Comments

• Options
    spudjerspudjer Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Try Hyperfocal distance
    Windoze, check this out:

http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html

It explains how to handle large scenes and lots of depth of field

Hope it makes sense... mwink.gif
    I'm worried about Gort. I'm afraid of what he might do, if anything should happen to me.:dood

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    "Hyperfocus" is the term used for obtaining the maximum DOF harpness from infinity back to some point colser to the camera. The Hyperfocus settings varies per lens lengh and aperature ... I am not an expert on hyperfocus ... so do a google for more info ... probably some great info here as well.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    spudjer wrote:
    Windoze, check this out:

http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html

It explains how to handle large scenes and lots of depth of field

Hope it makes sense... mwink.gif

Some time ago, I have been investigating about the hyperfocal diatance.
    http://www.vividlight.com/articles/3513.htm also might be useful.
    Remember that, to be accurate, the distance varies with the camera you use.

Regards. thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    Hyperfocal Chart
    Seefutlung wrote:
    "Hyperfocus" is the term used for obtaining the maximum DOF harpness from infinity back to some point colser to the camera. The Hyperfocus settings varies per lens lengh and aperature ... I am not an expert on hyperfocus ... so do a google for more info ... probably some great info here as well.

I already mentioned this in a couple of threads ago...
    I made a little chart for my camera (YMMW), and made it wallet-size, so I can always refer to it..
    It's for 30D, I think 20D should be the same.

79572762-L.jpg

Just remember - when you set the HF distance D, you'll get everything from D/2 to infinity in focus.
    E.g. at 50mm and f/8 HF = 16m, so if you focus at 16m (~50ft) you'll get everything from 8m (~25ft) and upto oo...

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    Nikolai, correct me if I am wronge:

The CoC (Circle of Confusion) for the 20 D is 0,019.
    I do not know if it's the same with the 30 D.
    If it is not, then the table is not perfect but enought for general purposes.
    Anyway I do not find a great use in this table as the lenses do not have, as they did, the little dots of distance in the barrel ...
    The table is important to give a notion of where you are in relation to infinity.
    I have also a table similar to this - show you later today - for my lenses.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    I found this
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11015&highlight=Depth+field
    It was when I made the "investigation" about CoC, DOF ...
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    Antonio
    Nikolai, correct me if I am wronge:

The CoC (Circle of Confusion) for the 20 D is 0,019.
    I do not know if it's the same with the 30 D.
    According to all the source I've read, their CoC values re the same.
    Anyway I do not find a great use in this table as the lenses do not have, as they did, the little dots of distance in the barrel ...
    The table is important to give a notion of where you are in relation to infinity.
    You're correct, not all lenses have the distance scale, and even those that do are not very accurate ones.
    However, if the table says that under giver circumstances the HF distance is, say, 10m, you can then locate an object 10 m away and use the AF to focus on it, thus acquiring desired HF conditions.

I wish our cameras were smart enough to have something like "HF Lock" rolleyes1.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    f16, tripod, focus on a distant object, fuggedaboutit. 1drink.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    The table again here:
    84136488-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    Sid,
    wxwax wrote:

It really depends on what you call a distant object... A distant mountain peak 20 miles away? A tree across the river?

At 400mm and f/16 the HF distance is 530m = 1,600ft.
    With the mountain peak you'll overdo it and lose the details in the hills which you could have had.
    With the tree across the river you'll blur the horizon...ne_nau.gif

BTW, is anybody aware of a cheap laser (or whatever based) distance meter? rolleyes1.gif
    I mean, I know of construction tools, but they are for relatively short distances, and they get pricey with the range getting above 100ft...
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    It really depends on what you call a distant object... A distant mountain peak 20 miles away? A tree across the river?

With the mountain peak you'll overdo it and lose the details in the hills which you could have had.

BTW, is anybody aware of a cheap laser (or whatever based) distance meter? rolleyes1.gif
    I mean, I know of construction tools, but they are for relatively short distances, and they get pricey with the range getting above 100ft...
    Nikolai,
    I have a distance meter for my profession (Architect).
    Laser. You see the target. The problem is when there is too much sun...
    We can't see the point.

DANGER - NEVER look directly to the laser. NEVER direct it to your or somebody eyes !

Hilty have them.
    I own a Zeiss witch have been giving me good services...
    It was my ideia to show it to you but, as it is 5/6 years old and could not find it fast in the net.
    I'll remember that, tomorrow.
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    i thank everyone that replied, now i am going off to digest all this techie stuff with a large bottle of excedrin. After i understand hyperfocal distance i plan to write a thesis explaining quantum mechanics ( which might be easier ).....

thanx again...

troy
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:

You're right.

I just never thought about shooting a landscape with a 400mm. No reason why not, I guess.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    Nikolai,

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-11725

this is the link for the instrument I was refering yesterday.

Regards.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    i thank everyone that replied, now i am going off to digest all this techie stuff with a large bottle of excedrin. After i understand hyperfocal distance i plan to write a thesis explaining quantum mechanics ( which might be easier ).....

thanx again...

troy

:lol4 I feel your pain Troy.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Print your hyperfocal distance sheet on A5 paper
    and have it sealed in plastic at your local copy shop
    costs 2$ and adds an invaluable piece of equipment
    to your bag. Not only if you like shooting landscapes.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Print your hyperfocal distance sheet on A5 paper
    and have it sealed in plastic at your local copy shop
    costs 2$ and adds an invaluable piece of equipment
    to your bag. Not only if you like shooting landscapes.

Smaller is better. A6 or A7.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    Mine fits the wallet:-)
    Smaller is better. A6 or A7.
    thumb.gif
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    Antonio,
    Nikolai,
    http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-11725
    this is the link for the instrument I was refering yesterday.
    Regards.
    thumb.gif
    Obrigado!
    By any chance you know the price ballpark?
    I hate it when they "quote you upon request".
    Also - what's the working range?
    The website is wonderfully silent about all these little details... ne_nau.gif
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Obrigado!
    By any chance you know the price ballpark?
    I hate it when they "quote you upon request".
    Also - what's the working range?
    The website is wonderfully silent about all these little details... ne_nau.gif
    Thanks!

I'll tell you the price in Portugal on monday.
    I drive throught the road I'll stop and ask.
    Nice week-end. :):
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Is that an Ansel Adams quote? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    I'll tell you the price in Portugal on monday.
    I drive throught the road I'll stop and ask.
    Nice week-end. :):

Hilti: about 90 / 100 € ...thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    I post today a new hyper focal distance table/chart I build for my own lenses and cameras (Canon 20 D; 350 D).
    The formula is included in the document so you can do one for yourself using an Excel sheet.
    The numbers in italic correspond to the use of the converter 1.4.
    The converter is not used with 16mm or 20 mm focals.

Remember that the CoC (Circle of Confusion) differs from camera to camera. Refer to manual.
    Remember that the HD (Hyper focal Distance) is the distance at which you focus the lens and get everything focused from half that distance to infinity.
    5 STEPS PROCEDURE
    1. Frame and adjust aperture and speed.
    2. Use a divise to measure a distance.
    3. Focus on that target with the central focus point of your camera
    4. Switch off auto focus.
    5. Go back to the frame and shoot.

To measure the distances I can use this instrument I have bought in September 1997 for 1.000 € ! which I have been using for work since then.
    86066459-M.jpg .86065435-M.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 5, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:

Nik - Take alook through a hunting catalog from Cabelas or Gander Mountain or Bass Pro looking for rangefinder - There are scads of them made by Nikon, Leica, Bushnell and several others. They range in price from about $150 on up. The range varies some according to price, but 400 to 600 yards is not unusual.

Here is a Nikon one - http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0034280711907a&type=product&cmCat=searchFeat&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=rangefinder&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=rangefinder&noImage=0
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nik - Take alook through a hunting catalog from Cabelas or Gander Mountain or Bass Pro looking for rangefinder - There are scads of them made by Nikon, Leica, Bushnell and several others. They range in price from about $150 on up. The range varies some according to price, but 400 to 600 yards is not unusual.

Here is a Nikon one - http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0034280711907a&type=product&cmCat=searchFeat&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=rangefinder&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=rangefinder&noImage=0

It looks good for the purpose...
    Good suggestion. thumb.gif
  • Options
    01af01af Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    Suppose your standing on the bank of a river looking out onto the wide river (and there are boats and other things of interest in the river) and across the other side where in the background there are mountains in the far-off distance. So let's say I want to take a picture that shows as much of the scene sharp and in focus as possible. Where do I focus?
    Most will tell you to set the lens to the hyperfocal distance---however that's not a good idea generally. If there is an obvious center of interest, focus on that. Otherwise, set the focus to infinity. This way you'll lose a bit of (relative) sharpness in the foreground ... but since the objects in the foreground are closer, they also will be rendered bigger so a bit more blur will hardly hurt them. The objects in the background however will be rendered much smaller, so they need to be in good focus in order to appear sharp to the eye. Think of it as 'relative sharpness' ... the smaller the detail the better the sharpness must be. That's why in the type of landscape shots you've desribed above, using the hyperfocal setting is a bad idea.

If possible, use an aperture of f/8 or f/11 for good depth-of-field. Avoid smaller apertures as they will yield poor sharpness due to diffraction effects. Use f/16 or f/22 with 35-mm-format or APS-C-format cameras only if you desperately need more DOF and can sacrifice some resolution. With larger-format cameras, you may stop down one or two f-stops further before diffration sets in. With smaller-format cameras, like digital compacts, use a wider aperture as diffraction sets in earlier on small image formats.

Read more on this topic in Harold M. Merklinger's excellent article The Ins and Outs of Focus---download the article in PDF format here (92 pages, 2.2 MB). It has a lot of math but it's not too hard to understand ... certainly no rocket science. And you may read diagonally across the math parts if you want; just make sure you get the conclusions.

windoze wrote:
    I remember Andy once telling me something about either 1/3 or 2/3 ... out in the distance.
    The one-third/two-thirds rule of the distribution of DOF is pure bullshit. Simply forget it! Actually, the ratio of the parts of DOF before and behind the plane of focus is gradually shifting from 1:1 at large magnification (macro) to 1:oo (infinity) at the hyperfocal distance and beyond. Of course, there does always exist one particular distance where the distribution will be 1:2 (or 1/3 to 2/3) ... but that always holds only at one certain distance; it's not true generally.

-- Olaf
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

nod.gif amen.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2006
    http://www.dofmaster.com/
    Do you know this site ?
    Last week I have been working on a chart like this.
    As a matter of fact I have "built" similar instrument with the same purpose.
    Only next week I'll be able to shoot it and publish it.
    I did it adapted to my lenses.
    intro_scale.jpg