Options

When should this one be ready to fly?

jdouglass@jfti.comjdouglass@jfti.com Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited August 2, 2006 in Wildlife
Not a great pic, but you can tell it's age.

:dunno

85193004-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    the truth is it is dam good when you take in to account the back light you shot that with eek7.gif wow:uhoh :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    ne_nau.gifSo is there any guess as to when I should expect to see it fly? Can you tell it's sex at this age?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    ne_nau.gifSo is there any guess as to when I should expect to see it fly? Can you tell it's sex at this age?ne_nau.gif
    soon looks ready now, do the folks still feed itne_nau.gif --i can not tell the sex of the bird sorry--but it is an osprey lol
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    August 12th at 2:30 p.m. :D

Nice shot but it's difficult to determine when this juvenile will fly the nest. Like a baby walking..it all depends on the individual's ability and the parental encouragement.

I've followed many osprey and their mating habits and care of the young. My last observations of a local family.... had 3 juveniles to the nest. Osprey typically have 3 young (2 their first time around). The young are hatched days apart with the first born becoming the dominant juvenile. This oldest juvenile will be the first to eat and the others will wait ..in order of age to eat what's left of the fish the parents bring back to the nest (typically the male does the majority of the fishing for food).

The first juvenile took over a month from birth to leave the nest. The other juveniles followed suit about a week or two apart from each other. It's difficult to know exactly when the first flight took place, despite visiting the nest daily and watching it for hours at a time. I've also seen young take to flight much earlier than this ..while others have taken a bit longer.

If you know when this one was born then it would be easier to figure out. It's difficult to judge the size of this one without the other young and parents in the shot. The juveniles grow very fast and will be about the same size as the adults when they fly. The easiest way to tell them apart at that point is their feathers have a white pinstripe on the edges. Very attractive. (see my osprey gallery link)

So...basically you can Toss a coin. :D I'd go back every couple/few days if youi can.

Good luck and look forward to seeing more shots of these amazing birds. thumb.gif

Perhaps some visual help to determine the size/age of your chick ?

Early shot from a couple weeks old..taken 4/2/06

http://www.pbase.com/blindmustangpilot/image/58173630

Shot taken a couple weeks later. Note size of chicks already. 4/19/06

http://www.pbase.com/blindmustangpilot/image/58935892

Shot taken 4/27/06. Parents still bring food to nest and chicks are not yet flying

http://www.pbase.com/blindmustangpilot/image/59445454

Shot taken 5/7/06. Early flight shot of juvenile. Note white pinstripe outline of feathers.

http://www.pbase.com/blindmustangpilot/image/59938578

Shot taken 5/17/06 of 2nd born chick flying off with fish brought by parent.

http://www.pbase.com/blindmustangpilot/image/60881128

Shot taken on 5/20/06. First born juvenile landing back at nest after getting fishing lessons from Mom.

http://www.pbase.com/blindmustangpilot/image/62710741

Shot taken 5/20/06. Chicks are flying at this point, but last born is reluctant to leave nest. Parents still bring fish to the young and the other 2 chicks will return to nest and be fed as well.

http://www.pbase.com/blindmustangpilot/image/62721786
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    jwear wrote:
    soon looks ready now, do the folks still feed itne_nau.gif --i can not tell the sex of the bird sorry--but it is an osprey lol

It is difficult to determine the sex of these birds. The stereotypic belief that the females have the neck pattern/necklace is a false belief. Extensive research has shown both males and females can have the "necklace" or both can be without any dark patterns to the neck/chest area. Another misconception is based on behavior. Some think the male does ALL the fishing , but this also is incorrect. I've seen the female leave the nest of young to do some fishing as well. After watching the birds for several months I can tell the male from the female of a certain nest..but the young do not distinquish any hierarchy behavioral traits that would give you a better idea of the sex. Some say when full grown the female is larger than the males. This is also very difficult to tell..as both parent birds are rather large and look the same size often. There are other ways to find out...but good luck taking one out on a date. rolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    I echo JWEAR - damn [sic] good shot ... a bit blue on my monitor. What distracts me is the cut two-bys under/part of the nest. On something so wild and free a reference to man is distracting. My $.02.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    I echo JWEAR - damn [sic] good shot ... a bit blue on my monitor. What distracts me is the cut two-bys under/part of the nest. On something so wild and free a reference to man is distracting. My $.02.

This can be cloned out in PS if it bothers one. I often times clone stuff like this out. It's kind of difficult to find an osprey nest not on a man made structure. About 80% of all osprey nests are found on man made structures. In my area most are found on mile marker pilons on the waterways. This provides protection from predators and easy access to the fishing spots. :D It's pretty common to find nests atop power line posts/ telephone poles and parking lights.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    This is as high as it got today.
    85402791-M.jpg
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    :D Really nice photo
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Regardless of the light difficulties, the shot turn out to be a nice one.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    Regardless of the light difficulties, the shot turn out to be a nice one.

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.

I allmost put in the archives, I never delete any. At least not till I fill my drives and I got 600GB to go. Glad you all liked them. I will have more when it takes flight. And yes the light was VERY harsh, it was noon and the sun was right behind the nest.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    August 12th at 2:30 p.m. :D

Nice shot but it's difficult to determine when this juvenile ................Parents still bring fish to the young and the other 2 chicks will return to nest and be fed as well.

Nice pics, thanks for the info. Will the baby stay at the nest for a while after it flys? Does anyone know when the osprey leave Maryland for the winter? Also, Is it rare to be a single baby?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2006
    Nice pics, thanks for the info. Will the baby stay at the nest for a while after it flys? Does anyone know when the osprey leave Maryland for the winter? Also, Is it rare to be a single baby?

The 3 juveniles at the nest I followed for a few months did stay at the nest for a good month and then some after they started to fly. The parents still brought fish to the nest for them to eat well after they learned to fly . I get the feeling these parents were very protective and not very eager to get the chicks out of the nest. Learning to fish must have been rather difficult for this bunch of chicks as it seemed the parents had to bring food to the nest for them for a good long time. The chicks would be off flying around far from the nest.....and then the gang would all meet back at the nest for lunch and dinner. They would all call to each other. It was pretty neat to see this. The dad would usually provide the fish, but every once in a while the mom would contribute.

It is rather uncommon for there to only be one chick at the nest. The first attempt at young the osprey often only have two offspring. The following attempts usually render 3 chicks. It is also not uncommon for one chick to die due to starvation if the first two chicks are extra aggressive. They can and will knock the 3rd youngest ...least dominant chick out of the nest to it's death. They can also bully it to the point of submission and it will starve to death if there is not enough food to go around.

You may have more than one chick if you have not been watching the nest very long...or don't stick around for several hours to see if any are flying yet. I've seen an empty nest...or a nest with just one chick in it stay that way most of the day...and then in the evening the other two chicks would fly in to spend the night. Perhaps your nest has more chicks and you are just catching the last of the chicks that remains in the nest. ??ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif

Can't help you on if/when the osprey will leave. They are here year around. clap.gif:D I live next to a town called "Osprey". Always wondered why it was called that. :uhoh eek7.gifumph.gif j/k. I've counted a couple dozen osprey just in a half mile radious from my house...so it seems these wonderful birds are making a strong comback here in Florida. :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com