Options

digital video... help?

LoadedagainLoadedagain Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited February 12, 2004 in The Big Picture
loadedwife accidentally took video on top of a video she wanted to keep. it is a digital 8 type camera. cannon 20. is there any way to recover the stuff she taped over? i think i know the answer to this, but please tell me something positive.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 11, 2004
    loadedwife accidentally took video on top of a video she wanted to keep. it is a digital 8 type camera. cannon 20. is there any way to recover the stuff she taped over? i think i know the answer to this, but please tell me something positive.
    It's not looking good.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2004
    I'm sorry Loaded, I've never heard of old material being rescued off of a tape that has been recorded over.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 11, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm sorry Loaded, I've never heard of old material being rescued off of a tape that has been recorded over.
    I bet the CIA or Uncle Sams boys can do it - But for us mere mortals it may be slightly more difficult..... I suspect it may be possible but expensive ....and NOT possible at home
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I bet the CIA or Uncle Sams boys can do it - But for us mere mortals it may be slightly more difficult..... I suspect it may be possible but expensive ....and NOT possible at home
    at home doesn't really matter, and cost (although a consideration) isn't really a concern unless it gets into the stratosphere.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 11, 2004
    at home doesn't really matter, and cost (although a consideration) isn't really a concern unless it gets into the stratosphere.
    Have you looked into any of the on line videography sites? I have absolutely no experience in this area, but seem to recall something about it being possible - Particularly with digtal tape -
    I KNOW it is possible to recover data from a hard drive that has been overwritten - not erased or FAT table changed - but overwritten - by professional data recovery people. But we're not talking about a few hundred dollars - more like thousands I think. Digital video I suspect is more likely to be recovered than analog - might look around at web sites like this and see what you can find --http://www.usbyte.com/common/DataRecovery_software.htm
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Have you looked into any of the on line videography sites? I have absolutely no experience in this area, but seem to recall something about it being possible - Particularly with digtal tape -
    I KNOW it is possible to recover data from a hard drive that has been overwritten - not erased or FAT table changed - but overwritten - by professional data recovery people. But we're not talking about a few hundred dollars - more like thousands I think. Digital video I suspect is more likely to be recovered than analog - might look around at web sites like this and see what you can find --http://www.usbyte.com/common/DataRecovery_software.htm
    thank you sir! i'll have a look.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2004
    I'll ask at work tomorrow. Maybe they can help. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 12, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    The reason that sometimes works is because blocks are not cleared (or
    erased) until they are written again. You can get software to assist you in
    recovering media that's been erased. For the other stuff, it's off to the disk
    doctors. Someone like www.actionfront.com (a fine Canadian Company too).

Tape doesn't have a FAT and is written serially. I would assume that once
    you write it, it's over. That is unless you are a member of the Ashcroft Companies mwink.gif

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?