Options

F-18 Hornet...(7 pics)

THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
edited August 17, 2006 in Holy Macro
I'm doing some contract work in Lemoore, CA which is right next to the Lemoore Naval Air Station. I'm working outside and I get to see jets flying overhead all day!

So, today I decided to find the closest road at the end of the runway (1/2 mile out) and sat for ~30 minutes. And then...they came. 6 F-18 Hornets came up from the runway and flew right over my head!:thumb

85676834-M.jpg

85676853-M.jpg

85676863-M.jpg

Then I went to the other side of the Base to see if I could get some of them landing and sure enough, the six that took off came in for a landing about 1 hour later.

85676946-M.jpg

85676922-M.jpg

85676978-M.jpg

85677038-M.jpg

First time photographing a jet. Now that I know what to expect I'll give it another shot. I still have ~2 weeks left so I'll have plenty of opportunities!:thumb

Thanks for looking!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin

Comments

• Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    that's the naval airstation where those birds live. how HOT was it today? Sorry you have to be there...hope the birds make it worth it.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    It's actually been pretty nice this week - Mid 90's! Last week, while we where installing all the equipment it was 110-115!:cry

photodoug wrote:
    that's the naval airstation where those birds live. how HOT was it today? Sorry you have to be there...hope the birds make it worth it.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    I'm doing some contract work in Lemoore, CA which is right next to the Lemoore Naval Air Station. I'm working outside and I get to see jets flying overhead all day!

So, today I decided to find the closest road at the end of the runway (1/2 mile out) and sat for ~30 minutes. And then...they came. 6 F-18 Hornets came up from the runway and flew right over my head!thumb.gif

Then I went to the other side of the Base to see if I could get some of them landing and sure enough, the six that took off came in for a landing about 1 hour later.

First time photographing a jet. Now that I know what to expect I'll give it another shot. I still have ~2 weeks left so I'll have plenty of opportunities!thumb.gif

Thanks for looking!

How lucky are you eek7.gif gawwwwd, least you get more than one chance at shooting, that's wonderful, I bet you were beside yourself with joy to see such a sight clap.gifclap.gif good for you! and thanks for sharing too :D

Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    Yeah, I'm pretty excited! The only time I've seen jets this close was when I went to an air show as a little kid.

Thanks for looking!
    Skippy wrote:
    How lucky are you eek7.gif gawwwwd, least you get more than one chance at shooting, that's wonderful, I bet you were beside yourself with joy to see such a sight clap.gifclap.gif good for you! and thanks for sharing too :D

Skippy (Australia)

- Kevin
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Great captures ! is this more capable plane then F-16 :uhoh
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    In my limited experience, stop up to expose the plane against the sky, Andy posted an example once of a seagull, blowing the sky to expose the gull properly. And the faster the exposure the better. Great shots, the last one is great, almost a silouette with light in the cockpit.

What are the restrictions on photographing military aircraft?

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Stan wrote:

Cheers
    Stan
    Just one.

If they don't like it, they kill you.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Just one.

:lol:lol:lolrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Stan
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Stan wrote:

If you are on public property, there's not much they can do. You might get PD to roll on you and ask for ID, but unless you are on base, you should be fine.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2006
    Great captures ! is this more capable plane then F-16 :uhoh

Thanks Awais!

From what I know...The F-18 is considered a multi-mission aircraft and can be used for several different types of missions. Also, because of it's design, it can take off on a very short runway (Aircraft Carrier) and as a result it's used primarily by the Navy.

The F16 is more of a fighter/bomber aircraft. It's known for it's maneuverability and combat radius. They have a longer range, can fly faster, and cost much less.

I love this stuff!:D

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    In my limited experience, stop up to expose the plane against the sky, Andy posted an example once of a seagull, blowing the sky to expose the gull properly. And the faster the exposure the better. Great shots, the last one is great, almost a silouette with light in the cockpit.

Cheers
    Stan

Thanks Stan. I went +1 on some of them but didn't pay much attention to it - They pass by SO FAST!:D

Restrictions - I was wondering about that while I was sitting on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere! I kept checking all the cars passing by, afraid that one of them would be a patrol!

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Just one.

:wow :wow :wow

- Kevin
  • Options
    chaberlackchaberlack Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    Kevin,

If you had fun, you need to get yourself to an airshow. I've photographed 6 this year and they are a blast. Won't highjack the thread but you can see some here http://chaberlack.smugmug.com/Aviation/210883.

Edwards AFB has a show October 28 & 29th this year. They have a good lineup and should be close. Too far for me to travel from Minnesota.

Craig.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2006
    Craig - Thanks for the tip!

As a kid, we used to go to the Beale Air Force Base air shows and I'll never forget them! I'll have to make it to the one at Edwards - that would be great!

Love the stuff in your galleries!
    chaberlack wrote:
    Kevin,

If you had fun, you need to get yourself to an airshow. I've photographed 6 this year and they are a blast. Won't highjack the thread but you can see some here http://chaberlack.smugmug.com/Aviation/210883.

Edwards AFB has a show October 28 & 29th this year. They have a good lineup and should be close. Too far for me to travel from Minnesota.

Craig.

- Kevin
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    With jets you want fast shutters for crisp detail. With prop planes and helicopoters you need slow shutters to get prop blur. The other thing to watch for is direction of light. In many of your shots you have a lot of shadow in the planes, especially that last shot. As was mentioned, over-expose: sacrifice the sky for detail in the plane. Alternately up some shadow detail in Photoshop. I'd try 10% and see what happens.

If you would, take that last shot of yours and give it 10 to 15% of shadow boost and re-post it.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    BrowndogBrowndog Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    I also like the last one best. I was born in Coalinga,(about 40 miles away), and my family went to the Lemoore NAS on it's grand opening air show it must have been 1960 give or take a year or two.......my how fighters change, I think the Blue Angels performed and were flying A3's(?).
    Mike W....