Suggestions on good Los Angeles Skyline shot

BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
edited February 19, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
Looking for a good, safe place to get a shot of the downtown LA skyline, probably somewhere on the east side looking west. Any ideas? Post examples and a google maps link if possible. Thanks!
Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    I am going to be out there in August and was wondering the same thing.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    Why not go to Rolling Hills Estates instead--with a 500mm telephoto?
    BeachBill wrote:
    Looking for a good, safe place to get a shot of the downtown LA skyline, probably somewhere on the east side looking west. Any ideas? Post examples and a google maps link if possible. Thanks!
    Steve-o
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    I am going to be out there in August and was wondering the same thing.

I live here, and I'd like to know as well! :D

Most of the views are behind private residence fences/shrubs/trees.
    Chris
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 30, 2006
    I don't know how you define "safe" but I would suggest shooting from any of the bridges spanning the LA River, east of Alameda Street. I would guess the 6th or 7th Street bridges afford the best view of downtown skyscrapers, looking west. The bridges are elevated and front on low laying industrial buildings, for unobstructed views.

I would also travel about the streets around 1st and Main where you're at City Hall, the Music Center, the new, very interesting, CalTrans building and adjacent to Little Tokyo and Chinatown

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=los+angeles&ie=UTF8&ll=34.034915,-118.230915&spn=0.005779,0.021329&om=1

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=los+angeles&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=34.050882,-118.23746&spn=0.005778,0.021329

Other spots for downtown skyscrapers would be:

Sunset Blvd at Beudry at the 110 freeway overpass and the area around that spot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=los+angeles&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=34.063575,-118.249004&spn=0.005777,0.021329
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    Where do filmmakers put their cameras for those "LA at night" shots from the hills?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Where do filmmakers put their cameras for those "LA at night" shots from the hills?

Mullholland Drive.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited July 30, 2006
    Thanks for the map links, Angelo! I'll have to check 'em out.

Does Mulholland have any public viewpoints right off the road where you can see the skyline? I know there are a few parks that require some hiking, I've just never done it.
    Chris
    edited August 1, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Thanks for the map links, Angelo! I'll have to check 'em out.

Does Mulholland have any public viewpoints right off the road where you can see the skyline? I know there are a few parks that require some hiking, I've just never done it.

Well Mulholland Drive was David's suggestion... perhaps he can elaborate.

Here's my experience with MD:

Along most of the western drive from the 405 heading east, there are several scenic points where you can stop to enjoy the view but mostly looking north at the San Fernando valley.

As you near Hollywood, especially above the Hollywood Bowl, just west of the 101 fwy, you get several nice viewpoints of downtown.
    edited August 2, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Along most of the western drive from the 405 heading east, there are several scenic points where you can stop to enjoy the view but mostly looking north at the San Fernando valley.

As you near Hollywood, especially above the Hollywood Bowl, just west of the 101 fwy, you get several nice viewpoints of downtown.

That explains it, I mostly travel on MD between 101 and 405. I've been east of 405 until it becomes dirt, but never west of 101. The valley view is nice, but I've seen it a *lot* so it doesn't thrill me anymore unless the clouds are really cool.

Thanks, Angelo!
    Chris
    edited August 3, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    That explains it, I mostly travel on MD between 101 and 405. I've been east of 405 until it becomes dirt, but never west of 101. The valley view is nice, but I've seen it a *lot* so it doesn't thrill me anymore unless the clouds are really cool.

Thanks, Angelo!

Chris:

Your directions are a bit muddy. if you've been east of the 405 then you HAVE been west of the 101.

And I don't know any areas of MD, EAST of the 405, where it turns to dirt roads. If MD crosses the 405 heading west (does it?) than I can understand how it might do that.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    For downtown, Dodger Stadium (looking south-east). It is close and high up. In winter to get the snow capped San Gabriels in the background ... there is a concrete, parking structure in Santa Monica which is perfect on a clear day (north-east).

The Getty for West Side skyline.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited August 3, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Chris:

Your directions are a bit muddy. if you've been east of the 405 then you HAVE been west of the 101.

And I don't know any areas of MD, EAST of the 405, where it turns to dirt roads. If MD crosses the 405 heading west (does it?) than I can understand how it might do that.
    D'oh, you're right... I tend to have a valley perspective on things, and for some reason was thinking toward downtown as north.

Yes, if you continue West on MD past 405, the road turns dirt and there's some great hiking/biking trails. Good views, but a bit far away. MD is closed to traffic here, but I believe it continues West and turns into the Mulholland Highway when it opens to traffic again.

So I need to go East of 101 to see some good views. :):
    Chris
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Last Saturday evening on my way to the Hollywood Bowl, the sky was filled with cool looking clouds, and since I was making good time I decided to hop off the 101 at 4th street in Boyle Heights. I found my way to Whittier Blvd and to the edge of the bridge (i.e. 6th street). Parked the car at a laundry mat (leaving the wife to watch the car) and hiked out a little way on the bridge (crossing over the 101). I ended up with an okay first try snapshot.

93248733-M-1.jpg

Not sure if I want to visit this area of town after dark, but in the daylight it seemed relatively "safe". Now that I have a better idea of the area, I think I will plan a future visit on a Saturday morning and drive around on each of the bridges and side streets looking for a better, closer view.

By the way, I visited Echo Park a couple months back to photograph the Lotus and discovered some decent views from there.

http://gallery.primarycolors.com/gallery/1740049/2/86059549
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • mccafmccaf Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    Hey Bill, not sure of the street but its pretty obvious and right across the 110 FWY

48105129.jpg
  • wlrivwlriv Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    there is a great hiking area called 'runyon' canyon that has some great views of downtown hollywood and la. not sure if that would photo well, but it sure has a great visual view. other than that you may want to try the griffith park observ and some of the fire road/trails up there.

or you could always settle for some high-rise shots from the standard hotel roof top bar wings.gif
    edited October 12, 2006
    here is an album with shots from runyon. i didnt take these with the intention of getting a good skyline shot, just to show off the trail. i went yesterday (no camera), and with the right camera and settings you could get some good shots. there are a bunch of better vantage points. the trail is open from sunrise to sunset.

http://wlriv.smugmug.com/gallery/1997312/1/102031158
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    wlriv wrote:
    here is an album with shots from runyon. i didnt take these with the intention of getting a good skyline shot, just to show off the trail. i went yesterday (no camera), and with the right camera and settings you could get some good shots. there are a bunch of better vantage points. the trail is open from sunrise to sunset.

http://wlriv.smugmug.com/gallery/1997312/1/102031158
    Hmm, with a good zoom and a clear day, it looks like you can get a good straight on shot of the Hollywood sign from here: http://wlriv.smugmug.com/gallery/2330910/1/102031560/Large

I'm not sure which trail you were on (Looking at http://www.runyon-canyon.com/ I see they have a few trails), however I might visit the canyon tomorrow and scout it out as I will be in the area checking out another view point.
    edited February 2, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Hmm, with a good zoom and a clear day, it looks like you can get a good straight on shot of the Hollywood sign from here: http://wlriv.smugmug.com/gallery/2330910/1/102031560/Large

I'm not sure which trial you were on (Looking at http://www.runyon-canyon.com/ I see they have a few trails), however I might visit the canyon tomorrow and scout it out as I will be in the area checking out another view point.
    yes, there is a good view of the hwd sign from runyon. there are better ones if thats what your focal point is though.

there are some great shooting spots in 'lake hollywood' which is worth the visit all on its own.

up beachwood canyon dr., there is another trail called 'hollywood ridge trail' or something like that (its literally all the way up beachwood, cant miss it) you get within a couple hundred yards of the sign.

pic taken with my p&s from there:
    120587175-M.jpg
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    I don't think there is a location from east LA to shoot the sunset as the westen part of downtown LA is on a hill and blocks any decent view of the setting sun in my view. I've wondered about this myself but haven't scouted any good locations.

What I have found:
    From Chavez Ravine area by the Dodgers Stadium looking sourth over 110
    33151616-L-1.jpg

Looking West on Sunset Blvd in W. Hollywood.

At Griffith looking at Santa Monica.
    116577003-L.jpg

Looking south toward west LA
    116577789-L.jpg

Looking south west toward downtown
    116578341-L.jpg

As some have mentioned here, Mulholland Drive looking southeast would afford a good view of the downtown skyline as well, but you'd need a clear night and a long lens. There is a look out point just west of Griffith and just north and over looking the Hollywood Bowl. Don't know exactly where it is on the map though.

I'm not sure if a good spot for an intersting composition exists from East LA looking toward the sunset (westward).

Good luck
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Downtown LA
    I was visiting LA last December and discovered a park near
    Dodger Stadium.

Here's the view from there:
    127920854-M.jpg

Go to the gallery map to see the location
    Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Gee I just saw this ??
    My newest place is Baldwin Hills and specificly the hills above labrea bl ent.
    125134372-O.jpg

124222029-O.jpg

Many clear vista of both west side and looking towards east. On clear day........well you know the rest.

As well as many nice trails and some wildlife
    Hey did anybody notice Angelo the "Mod" over here, man will wonders ever cease rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :lol
    edited February 19, 2007
    edited February 19, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    headscratch.gif

Yeah headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif Me too !! rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 19, 2007
    bfjr wrote:
    Yeah headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif Me too !! rolleyes1.gif

I thought you nominated me and conducted the vote tally using paperless machines!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    bfjr wrote:
    Gee I just saw this ??
    My newest place is Baldwin Hills and specificly the hills above labrea bl ent.
    125134372-S.jpg

Ooh, I see huge potential for that location.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 19, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Ooh, I see huge potential for that location.

totally agree
    just gotta figure out how to use that potential properly thumb.gif