Options

Challenge #70 - Architectural Contrast

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited August 5, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Any thoughts on this one for the challenge?

Taken today, August 3, 2006.

85802796-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    Alaska shutterbugAlaska shutterbug Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    I think it fits the theme great. I would like to see it a little wider maybe, especially on the ride side?
  • Options
    JarvisJarvis Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    I like this a lot. Is there a way to get the reflection of the church in the windows of the office building? Great idea!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 4, 2006
    I like this shot a lot thumb.gif. I wonder whether a different angle might give you a stronger entry. I find myself paying more attention to the clouds than to the two buildings. I don't know what the other possibilities are, of course. ne_nau.gif

Regards,
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2006
    Thanks for your comments! Here is another possibility taken on July 31 from a different side of the tower and with a different lens. Do you think this is a better candidate for the challenge?

85906602-L.jpg

Thanks, Virginia

Email
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    I think the second one works much better. The reflection of old in the new makes for great contrast..
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 4, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    I think the second one works much better. The reflection of old in the new makes for great contrast..
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    NutterNutter Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    the first one looks like it came out of a math text book, the second one is much more pleasing to the eye and dosen't bring back terrible memories of math class. lol.

I like them both but if I had to pick i'd go with #2

*Edit* is this the same building and church from the 2005 photo of the year finalists? If so what city is it? /edit
    Being successful is a relative term. Relative to you and only you.--Ricky Lankford

Take a Peek!
  • Options
    TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    I think #2 makes a much more interesting contrast statement. Nice!

Thinking about JUST the reflection of the old in the new as a possibility too.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2006
    *Edit* is this the same building and church from the 2005 photo of the year finalists? If so what city is it? /edit[/quote]

Hey Nutter!

I just looked and yes it is. Hadn't seen the photo. I live in Boston's Back Bay a few blocks from Copley Square where Trinity Church is located. The John Hancock Tower (by architect I.M. Pei) is, obviously, right across the street. I have zillions (well, not really zillions) of photos of both buildings, espeically the Tower which provides wonderful photo ops. In fact, I made the finals of a challenge ages ago with this photo of part of the Tower.

17699435-M.jpg

Also, Rutt won the "Opposites" challenge last year with this picture which fits the current challenge topic as well:

37105863-M-1.jpg

Thanks for you comments. Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2006
    Thanks 4Labs, Richard and ThomaS for your constructive comments. They are much appreciated! :): Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Alaska shutterbugAlaska shutterbug Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2006
    I like photo #2 better as well.
  • Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    They are WONDERFUL clap.gifclapclap.gif

I thought there was something familiar....couldnt remember where I had seen a pic of those buildings before clap.gifclapclap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    Thanks Brigid and Kim!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    JerHocJerHoc Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    Absolutely love the second image! Great work!! clap.gif