Options

Boston Photo Walk - Who's up for it?

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited November 18, 2004 in Landscapes
I know we have quite a few people in Boston or the surrounding areas here on smugmug/dgrin. Would any of you be interested in doing a winter city photo tour? I was thinking we could do a winter version and a summer version. We could do a pre-planned route or we could just pick a starting point and wing it. We could hit a few pubs on the way to grab lunch, or a beer or two, etc. I think it would be fun! And we could put some faces to the names as well.

I am heading to Montana for a week on Saturday, but I'd love to plan a date for sometime after my return. I'd like to get a weekend before X-mas comes to get some of the shopping frenzy in the Faneuil Hall area.

Yes? No? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Doug

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    I know we have quite a few people in Boston or the surrounding areas here on smugmug/dgrin. Would any of you be interested in doing a winter city photo tour? I was thinking we could do a winter version and a summer version. We could do a pre-planned route or we could just pick a starting point and wing it. We could hit a few pubs on the way to grab lunch, or a beer or two, etc. I think it would be fun! And we could put some faces to the names as well.

I am heading to Montana for a week on Saturday, but I'd love to plan a date for sometime after my return. I'd like to get a weekend before X-mas comes to get some of the shopping frenzy in the Faneuil Hall area.

Yes? No? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Doug
    Hmmm maybe thats something to think on...mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hmmm maybe thats something to think on...mwink.gif
    Aww C'mon Lynn! You'd be our celebrity guest! You have to come!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2004
    I think it would be fun to get together and meet each other. But walking around in a big group and shooting at random? That doesn't seem like a good way to get to know each other.

Here's an idea: what about if we get together and try to take some pictures of each other and ourselves as a group? One thing I'm short of is pictures of myself that I like. I'm always the one behind the camera.

Giving the meeting a mission like this, means that we'd all work together to make it happen and I think that's usuallly a good way to get to know people.

Now, about a venue?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I think it would be fun to get together and meet each other. But walking around in a big group and shooting at random? That doesn't seem like a good way to get to know each other.

Here's an idea: what about if we get together and try to take some pictures of each other and ourselves as a group? One thing I'm short of is pictures of myself that I like. I'm always the one behind the camera.

Giving the meeting a mission like this, means that we'd all work together to make it happen and I think that's usuallly a good way to get to know people.

Now, about a venue?
    Okay, if you'd rather skip the walk and meet up with us for just a group photo, that is certainly possible. That is if anyone else is into it.

I think a walk in a city rich in history like Boston would be great though. Easy to walk it, lots of photo spots, and lots of little pubs to stop in and warm up. The nice thing about this time of year is that it gets dark early, so if we start the walk around lunch time, we can still get some great night shots even though it isn't that late in the day. There are some great night shot spots in that city, with the Zakim Bridge especially.

I will put a date together and a place to meet this week. If you want to join me, certainly feel free. I will probably take the train down from Newburyport to North Station, so I will probably start in the North End somewhere.

Open to suggestions for a venue...

Doug
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2004
    Great idea, and normally I'd be all over it but circumstances over the next 1 or 2 months won't permit it. I'd definitely be interested in a summer version, though, maybe that would work out.

It's funny, my brother lives in Boston and this fall I tried to get him to play hookey with me and roam the city taking pictures. Never worked out, but great minds think alike, eh! If it works out this summer maybe I can convice him to join us. He's not huge on photography, but he used to be a tour guide and write tours for Boston By Foot, so he knows most everything there is to know. It can be annoying if he's your brohter, but fun in a group! lol3.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 17, 2004
    I think this is a great idea. End of the semester means exams, grading, pushing my undergrads to finish up their projects, my advisor pushing me for a publication... yikes! But depending on the day, I'd try to make it in. I'm always down for a visit to Beantown.

I'm in Seattle over Turkey day as well, so pick a December date, and we'll try to meet up.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited November 17, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I think this is a great idea. End of the semester means exams, grading, pushing my undergrads to finish up their projects, my advisor pushing me for a publication... yikes! But depending on the day, I'd try to make it in. I'm always down for a visit to Beantown.

I'm in Seattle over Turkey day as well, so pick a December date, and we'll try to meet up.
    Sweet.
    This should be fun.

Doug
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

we can car pool :D

Then again umass athletics has alot of home games for December, which is easy for me to cover, bad for me to have an excuse to go to the city.
    But I know I plan on going to the Dec 5th Havard vs UMD women's ice hockey game.