Options

Cameras for Children

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited November 17, 2004 in Cameras
We're thinking of getting a digicam for my 11yo boy. The important details are probably:

* Robust.
* Easy for small hands to hold.
* Reasonable feature set (at least some manual capability)
* CF card
* Reasonable resolution (3mp or so) and image quality
* CHEAP

I was considering letting him use my Coolpix 990, but I'm too attached to that one to watch it hit the concrete deck.

Suggestions?
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    fish wrote:
    We're thinking of getting a digicam for my 11yo boy. The important details are probably:

* Robust.
    * Easy for small hands to hold.
    * Reasonable feature set (at least some manual capability)
    * CF card
    * Reasonable resolution (3mp or so) and image quality
    * CHEAP

I was considering letting him use my Coolpix 990, but I'm too attached to that one to watch it hit the concrete deck.

Suggestions?

I just gave my Sony U20 to my godson ~4yrs old. Its all metal & solid. It seems to be doing good so far. At 2mp it prints a good 4x6.

I'm sure an 11yr old can handle a better camera. I would still recommend a solid metal body design P&S like an older canon or something.

I noticed you are in the Bay Area. Try looking for a good used one on Craigslist.

I have spent a lot of time on dpreview looking at cameras for myself and my gf over the years. Its a great database for buyers.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp

Let me know how your search goes.

Dave