Options

Who knows 30D/BG-E2 thread diameter?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited August 9, 2006 in Accessories
I want to get a universal QR plate, but I have no idea which one to get:
1/4-20
or
3/8-16
I want to get one until I get enough funds for the L-plate...
Thanks!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 5, 2006
    I'm using the Manfrotto 3157N plates on both my body and the BG-E2 as well as the collar for my 70-200 with no issues.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2006
    Reading is hard
    truth wrote:
    I'm using the Manfrotto 3157N plates on both my body and the BG-E2 as well as the collar for my 70-200 with no issues.
    Question is: what is the tripod mount thread diameter for 30D an BG-E2? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2006
    The tripod socket on a 30D is 1/4 in 20 I'm pretty sure....3/8 is a really big bolt.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2006
    Thanks!
    Blurmore wrote:
    The tripod socket on a 30D is 1/4 in 20 I'm pretty sure....3/8 is a really big bolt.

Yeah, guy at acratech confirmed that, too:-) thumb.gif

Oh well, orders have been sent, now we wait...rolleyes1.gif
    I ordered MagFiber NGE2 from Amazon ($375, shipped free, no taxes), and Ultimate Ballhead V2 ($329) and P20 wimberley plate ($52) from Acephoto - it was cheaper to get stuff shipped from East Coast than to pay CA taxes... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 7, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I want to get a universal QR plate, but I have no idea which one to get:
    1/4-20
    or
    3/8-16
    I want to get one until I get enough funds for the L-plate...
    Thanks!

Nik, the 3/8-16 is probably not what you want. It's used on some lens
    feet (like the 500mm Canon which has both 1/40-20 and 3/8-16).
    More than likely what you want is 1/4-20 for your camera body.

If you need it, there are adapters from 3/8-16 to 1/4-20 as well.

Cheers,
    ian

for your tripod
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    Thanks, Ian!
    ian408 wrote:
    Nik, the 3/8-16 is probably not what you want. It's used on some lens feet (like the 500mm Canon which has both 1/40-20 and 3/8-16).
    More than likely what you want is 1/4-20 for your camera body.

If you need it, there are adapters from 3/8-16 to 1/4-20 as well.

Cheers,
    ian

for your tripod

Appreciate the info and cheer! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 8, 2006
    Like Blurmore said, most 35mm cameras have a 1/4 by 20 female socket on the bottom.

Some very large lenses and cameras have 3/8 sockets. The Canon 500mm f4 for example has sockets for 3/8 and 1/4 by 20 on its lens foot. I suspect some larger Medium format cameras sport a 3/8th female socket as well.

Many tripod heads offer both male threads - I use 3/8ths to mate my tripod to my RRS ball head for instance.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    Thanks, Jim!
    pathfinder wrote:
    Like Blurmore said, most 35mm cameras have a 1/4 by 20 female socket on the bottom.

Some very large lenses and cameras have 3/8 sockets. The Canon 500mm f4 for example has sockets for 3/8 and 1/4 by 20 on its lens foot. I suspect some larger Medium format cameras sport a 3/8th female socket as well.

Many tripod heads offer both male threads - I use 3/8ths to mate my tripod to my RRS ball head for instance.

I guess I don't have to worry about 3/8 at all for a foreseeable future mwink.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    Yep, it's 1/4", 20 tpi
    Nikolai,

I have a 20D with BG-E2. It's definitely, definitely a 1/4-inch diameter, 20 threads per inch (1/4", 20 tpi) tripod mount in both the 20D and the BG-E2. So you're going to be fine.

= Dave

p.s. It strikes me as odd that all these cameras are made in metric-system countries (esp Japan), yet we have English-threaded tripod mounts?? Would I be correct in assuming that the actual threading is a metric size which (by design) works out to be very, very close to 1/4", 20 tpi?
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited August 9, 2006
    Thanks, Dave!
    photobug wrote:
    Nikolai,
    p.s. It strikes me as odd that all these cameras are made in metric-system countries (esp Japan), yet we have English-threaded tripod mounts?? Would I be correct in assuming that the actual threading is a metric size which (by design) works out to be very, very close to 1/4", 20 tpi?

From what I remember, metric and non-metric threads almost never can be compatible. Different angles, or something..
    I think the reason is that photography hardware was originated when English-threads were everywhere, and being a niche industry, they simply didn't have enough compelling reasons to switch to metric.
    Another example would be plumbing in Russia. It's a huge country, as you know, metric system is everywhere. Except plumbing (and photography:-) :D