Friends of Bodie Photographer's Day

ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
edited August 8, 2006 in Journeys
This past weekend I signed up my family for the Friends of Bodie Photographer's Day, which by the way is the 3rd Saturday of every month in case you are interested. What this does is let you enter the park at 5:00am, normally you can't get in until 8:00 and it's limited to something like 50 people, you can also stay 1/2 hour after sunset when everyone else is chased out at 7:00. We got kind of lucky because we were the only ones signed up, so we had the town to ourselves for almost four hours. Then we came back about 2 hours before sunset and shot some more.

Here are a few from the day.

82538549-M.jpg

82538847-M.jpg

82538688-M.jpg

82538962-M.jpg

82540237-M.jpg

I've been to Bodie a couple times before, but spending time in this place alone with my family is an experience I won't soon forget.

Comments

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    We got kind of lucky because we were the only ones signed up, so we had the town to ourselves for almost four hours.

Excellent. I'm in the process of signing up for next month, hopefully I will be as lucky.

Nice pics, hope to see more!
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Very cool, Ed!
    Interesting info and nice shots! thumb.gif
    Thanks for sharing!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Wow! Each and every single one of those shots is awesome. I really need to get out there sometime. It's a bit of a trek from here in Texas, though. rolleyes1.gif My wife and I are thinking about taking a cross country marathon that direction, and Bodie is going on my short list for places to stop. Thanks!

James

Langford Photography
    http://www.langfordphotography.com
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Thanks folks, it's a fun place to spend some time. Make sure you bring sunscreen and plenty of water.
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Nice series. It gives the impression of a solemn, almost ghost-like town that time forgot. I love the sunlight in those pictures.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    August 19
    I've got the registration form and will be sending my fee tomorrow for the August date. It looks like sunrise will be around 6am next month, so I will make sure to get there by 5:30am and will probably leave shortly after 8am or when a bunch of people start showing up. My family will be back at the motel sleeping the whole time... :D

Question for you Ed, do they send back a pass or anything? Or, do you just show up and they are expecting you?
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 20, 2006
    I'm glad to know that there are other days. I really wanted to get up
    there but work ....
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 20, 2006
    Love the pics. Having lived in Durango, CO for a number of years I have a passion for deserted western scenics. Great light.
    edited July 20, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:
    I've got the registration form and will be sending my fee tomorrow for the August date. It looks like sunrise will be around 6am next month, so I will make sure to get there by 5:30am and will probably leave shortly after 8am or when a bunch of people start showing up. My family will be back at the motel sleeping the whole time... :D

Question for you Ed, do they send back a pass or anything? Or, do you just show up and they are expecting you?

They will have your name at the gate and will give you a pass to put on your dash. Hang on to it, it'll get you back in for sunset.
    edited July 20, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I'm glad to know that there are other days. I really wanted to get up
    there but work ....

I wish you could have made it Ian, but it wouldn't be too tough to talk me into doing it again :)
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited July 21, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    I wish you could have made it Ian, but it wouldn't be too tough to talk me into doing it again :)

Sweet! When? I would like to go in the fall as well. There are some aspens
    on the hill ovrlooking the site that turn a firey red...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    aargh

thanks for the valuable tip. I just visited bodie last month and did not know about photographer day; i plan on going back in september.

Did you find that the morning light was better than the afternoon light?

thanks again
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll
  • SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    Great series and location. Thanks! Did you take or convert any black and white?
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams
  • germaine_sbagermaine_sba Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Excellent shots and thanks for the tip about photographer's day. That's now on my list of things to do.
    Lord, keep my words sweet. Someday, I may have to eat them.
    http://www.germaine.smugmug.com
  • JoanMRKJoanMRK Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2006
    Great pics of Bodie...I love that place, named a foal after it too. I hadn't heard about the Photographer's day and I'll be sure to keep that in mind! Thanks for sharing!
    edited August 8, 2006
    crow wrote:
    aargh

thanks for the valuable tip. I just visited bodie last month and did not know about photographer day; i plan on going back in september.

Did you find that the morning light was better than the afternoon light?

thanks again

The morning light was incredible
    edited August 8, 2006
    Great series and location. Thanks! Did you take or convert any black and white?

There are a couple of Bodie black and whites here

http://www.edhughesphoto.com/gallery/691045