Options

apple memory question to anyone who "knows"

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 8, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
i am in charge of a dozen emacs that need upgraded memory.
all are powerPC G4 but vary in bus speed and L2 cache ( if thats necesaary to know ).
anyway im not sure what memory(s) I need...
for example: some emacs are using pc133u-333 while others are using pc2700u-25330

is there one type of memory i can buy thats "fits all" or do i have to buy separate types depending on each specific configuration?

in other words, if an emac has a bus speed of 133 Mhz do I have to use pc133u-333? Id prefer to buy quantity of the same memory and use them interchangeably if thats possible. anybody know?

windoze

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    I don't know the answer to you question, but maybe this will help, until someone who knows posts.

Try the Crucial Memory Advisor™ Tool. It will at least show you if the computers use the same modules, based on their part numbers. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    nathannathan Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    i am in charge of a dozen emacs that need upgraded memory.
    all are powerPC G4 but vary in bus speed and L2 cache ( if thats necesaary to know ).
    anyway im not sure what memory(s) I need...
    for example: some emacs are using pc133u-333 while others are using pc2700u-25330

is there one type of memory i can buy thats "fits all" or do i have to buy separate types depending on each specific configuration?

in other words, if an emac has a bus speed of 133 Mhz do I have to use pc133u-333? Id prefer to buy quantity of the same memory and use them interchangeably if thats possible. anybody know?

windoze

You need to buy different memory for each configuration. The pc2700 memory is DDR, while PC133 is not. I believe that the PC2700 is not even pin-compatible with PC133 as it has different cutouts on the memory board.

That said, there are some cases where you could buy memory that is compatible between certain configurations. For instance, if you had some configurations that took PC3200 and some with PC2700, you could safely buy PC3200 and use it for both configurations. Likewise if you had some configurations that took PC100 as well as PC133, you could safely use PC133 for both configurations. However, I don't believe either of these cases apply to eMacs, but they do mean that eMacs could share memory with other Mac model lines or take hand-me-down memory.
    Nathan

Nikon D200
    and a vast assortment of lenses