Options

Pictures from the Non- digital Past

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
edited February 13, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Some pictues of New Mexico Circa 1999 - sht on a Nikon N60 and brought into the digital world by scanning - from a ride through the Mescalero reservation 2355050-L.jpg

And from the Dripping Springs Ranch outside Mountain Air New Mexico

2355026-L.jpg
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2004
    hey wow, i like these a lot!
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2004
    andy wrote:
    hey wow, i like these a lot!
    I shuffle my feet, bow my head and blush a little - Thank you Andy -

On a side note - I like saturated colors in some pictures - these are not overdone?

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited February 12, 2004
    I like the wagon. It has a very real depth of field. Almost as if the sky is
    the background layer and the wagon, foreground.

Very nice scan too. May I ask what you are scanning with?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2004
    I've come to the conclusion that there are natural photographers, just like there are natural ballplayers, and natural musicians. Pathfinder...you are a natural. I'll bet you could take a good photo with a disposable camera.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I like the wagon. It has a very real depth of field. Almost as if the sky is
    the background layer and the wagon, foreground.

Very nice scan too. May I ask what you are scanning with?

Ian

That was scanned with a Nikon CooScan IV that I have owned for about three years - Nikon's cheaper 2900 dpi scanner - I think it has been upgraded to the CoolScan V recently - seems to work ok. My brother bought the new Minolta DImage 5400 scanner - 5500dpi - but he scans most things at 2900 because otherwise he ends up with files of 60 -100 Mbytes - and that is too large to mess around with. I had drooled over the Dimage 5400 but decided to just stick with what I already own, and save the money for a 1D\MKII or something.
    The picture works I think because of the polarizer for the nice New Mexico sky and the warm tones from the late afternoon sun. We had just ridden in from the Very Large Array that afternoon so this was probably around 5 pm as I remember.

• Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I've come to the conclusion that there are natural photographers, just like there are natural ballplayers, and natural musicians. Pathfinder...you are a natural. I'll bet you could take a good photo with a disposable camera.
    Thanks Fish but I am nowhere near that good - you don't see the hundreds of images I discard - even a blind squirrel can find a few acorns now and then. I think the real improvement in my photography came when I finally began to get a handle on digital editing and learned that the photo or image file that came out of the camera is just a start.
    Look at the images on Photo.net to see some really great talents at work - I am truly awed by some of the talent on display there. I also like to read Michael Reichman at the Luminous Landscape as well.
    It is true that is a lot easier to make a good shot better in Photoshop than to make a lousy shot any good. Like I said before - I can't draw for beans so I have to depend on the tools I can use.

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    Nice shots pathfinder.

The color is great in the first image, but there's something about the color in the second that just doesn't work for me. It might be that the colors are too saturated for my tastes, or maybe it's the effect of the polarizer in late afternoon sunlight. I'm not sure.

Do you remember what film you used on those images? The sky in the second picture reminds me of some of my stuff I've shot on Velvia (Velvia + Wide Angle + Polarizer = Black Sky).

-Eric
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Nice shots pathfinder.

The color is great in the first image, but there's something about the color in the second that just doesn't work for me. It might be that the colors are too saturated for my tastes, or maybe it's the effect of the polarizer in late afternoon sunlight. I'm not sure.

Do you remember what film you used on those images? The sky in the second picture reminds me of some of my stuff I've shot on Velvia (Velvia + Wide Angle + Polarizer = Black Sky).

-Eric
    The wagon was shot in October 1999 - Nikon N60 Tamron 28-300 zoom - The only camera-lens I had on my motorcycle at that time - film was Kodak 400 ASA color negative - consumer stuff - not pro film.

A polarizing filter was used and the sky in New Mexico can look like that at the right time - The sun was from the left and illuminated the white part of the wagon. I like my pictures saturated so the fault is mine. Thank you for your comments cletus.

A second thought occurred to me and that is you like the color in the first picture better because I definately prefer the second pictures color - the turquiose on the roofs in the first frame has always bothered me some - interesting. Monitor differences perhaps?