Options

I came over from the darkside!

PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
edited August 10, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Okay, I have my first Mac, as mentioned in another thread, but I have a few questions.

1) Is there as App in my Apple that runs like Windows Picture viewer? All I want is to go to a folder, open an image, and then be able to advance to the next file using a key. I also want to be able to delete an image by pressing "delete". I know iPhoto has a ton of features, but I can't seem to find this simplicity. :dunno

2) If I want to remove an application, how do I do that?

3) Can someone PLEASE point me to a OS X "tour" walk through, how to do this... etc??? I really like what I have figured out, but coming from the darkside into the light has really blinded me!
Mike LaPorte
Perfect Pix

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 10, 2006
    Poseidon wrote:
    Okay, I have my first Mac, as mentioned in another thread, but I have a few questions.

1) Is there as App in my Apple that runs like Windows Picture viewer? All I want is to go to a folder, open an image, and then be able to advance to the next file using a key. I also want to be able to delete an image by pressing "delete". I know iPhoto has a ton of features, but I can't seem to find this simplicity. ne_nau.gif

2) If I want to remove an application, how do I do that?

3) Can someone PLEASE point me to a OS X "tour" walk through, how to do this... etc??? I really like what I have figured out, but coming from the darkside into the light has really blinded me!

Welcome to the LIGHT!!clap.gif

1) Preview is a viewing App on a MAC Right -click ( or ctrl-click if you don't have a two button mouse ) and a menu will pop up - it is long - and Preview will be near the bottom

2) Remove the Application icon from the Applications folder on your hrd drive and drag it to the waste basket - how hard is that??:):

3) Search for Switching from a PC on the Aple website - there should be lots of info there. It seems kind of left handed for a few days, but eventually you come to realize that you don't miss XP at all, and you spend a lot less time working FOR your computer and MORE time using your computer for tasks NOT devoted to its welfare, but yoursiloveyou.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Thanks Pathfinder! I am sure that will help! I will spend MORE time on the apple site tonight when I get home!

I know I read something in Andy's unsolicited MAC thread about moving E-mail, address book, etc from my Outlook to Mail, do you happen to know how that is done?

I have already configured mail to check my pop accounts, but I can't lose all my existing stuff, and I quite frankly do NOT want to have a PC and MAC on the desk as they are right now...

Next I need a ACD, or at least a nice LCD.... iloveyou.gif
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Poseidon wrote:
    Thanks Pathfinder! I am sure that will help! I will spend MORE time on the apple site tonight when I get home!

I know I read something in Andy's unsolicited MAC thread about moving E-mail, address book, etc from my Outlook to Mail, do you happen to know how that is done?

I have already configured mail to check my pop accounts, but I can't lose all my existing stuff, and I quite frankly do NOT want to have a PC and MAC on the desk as they are right now...

Next I need a ACD, or at least a nice LCD.... iloveyou.gif

I went through this a few months ago. If you check the help in mail it tells you to save your outlook contacts as vcards. you can then import them into mail. the support section on the apple site has a lot of help also.
    hope this helps,

seamus.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Another way to quickly preview pictures in OS X 10.4 (Tiger) is to select them, then either right-click or click the gear menu thingy at the top of the window and choose Slideshow. That way, you don't even have to open a program.

There is currently no Mac equivalent to the convenient Filmstrip folder view in Windows.