Options

Secret Shooting from the Hip - London

BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
edited August 11, 2006 in Journeys
I had to go to London and thought I’d try some secret 24mm shooting with the camera on my right hip. Strung on a Kirk shoulder strap (I’m a convert despite the price) and hanging in 'portrait mode' on an L bracket under a coat (in august?) shooting via a remote in my left pocket.
I’m holding the lens to point it slightly upwards as it hangs with too much angle down to the ground.

All un-cropped full frame PT-Lens adjusted images. Rapid transfer via Canon's sw (by mistake). No RAW by me. Anyway I hope you enjoy a brief journey through the streets of West London.

I walked past 10 Downing Street and caught the huge protest there. :dunno Thanks to the power of a full frame 24mm the protesters are dwarfed by a young child.
Protest.
Downing Street.
456V7438_RT8-web.jpg

A central London news paper street vendor. These kiosks are all over the place.
Vendor.
456V7448_RT8-web.jpg

A bus to Camden Town.
456V7456_RT8-web.jpg

The look on these two’s faces is a classic. I’m guessing he never booked the tickets for Guy’s & Doll’s he’d promised her. Don't sit in the London gutter no matter how bad it's got.
I’ll never forgive you.
456V7475_RT8-web.jpg

Shot a few in shops that came out well. I kept it to a few of women as I didn’t want to appear like a pervert. I also didn’t shoot any children other than the first at Downing Street...
Decisions.
456V7489_RT8-web.jpg

0ver 50 copyright breaches in one shot….
Cards.
456V7494_RT8-web.jpg

This chap takes no notice of London’s parking restrictions. The old saying that London’s streets are paved with gold is only true in so far as they are covered with yellow lines. Park at your peril.
Market porter at rest.
456V7498_RT8-web.jpg

Ready for a crop to improve the view of the front of the stall.
Flowers.
456V7500_RT8-web.jpg

A fruit stall in Soho.
456V7504_RT8-web.jpg

An interesting couple of hours that would have been good to extend into the evening. I had to get back home so maybe next time.
The first day off work since January and even then just for a hospital visit. I’m starting to go stir crazy and need a holiday.

I got spotted at least once taking shots. A traffic warden who I missed anyway as I swung the camera shooting an empty wall. He just laughed and we had a brief chat.

Many heads were chopped off until I sorted the up angle. I had a lot of missed shots and found standing still was the best option rather than walking and still shooting. I bumped up to asa200 and next time would tape the manual/auto switch on the lens to avoid accidental switching due to so much ‘hand on lens’ barrel contact.

A new experience shooting like this. It was much easier than my usual catch their eye, point at the camera etc. I felt a bit sneaky at first but after a couple of Margaritas I was off having a great time.

A good day out. Hope you enjoy those I've chosen to post.

Bod.
"The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Bodwick wrote:
    A good day out. Hope you enjoy those I've chosen to post.

Definitely enjoyed them. You should have had someone take a picture of you with your hidden camera.

Not only can you get away with some sneaky shots, you also get a lower angle on things. thumb.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Definitely enjoyed them. You should have had someone take a picture of you with your hidden camera.

Not only can you get away with some sneaky shots, you also get a lower angle on things. thumb.gif

I realised last night that I should have shot a reflection in a window...

Next time...Glad you liked them.

Yes, the low level goes well with the wider angle lens.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."

• Options
    NappaloniaNappalonia Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    What a great idea, I enjoyed your trip through London, thanks for sharing.
    http://nappalonia.smugmug.com/gallery/580776

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    20D :clap
    Canon
    18-55
    85 1.8 :wink
    Tamron
    28-75 2.8
    Sigma
    70-300 DG APO Macro
    30 1.4:thumb
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    A nice slice of life!

456V7498_RT8-web.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Great photos ! i loved the one Sid qouted eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    He must have been "really" tired
    456V7498_RT8-web.jpg

to be able to snooze like that. Of all the shots, this one made me chuckle in amazement!

That's a great idea, and a new way of taking photos -- sneaky photographer guy on the loose in the streets of London...:):

I could do this with my Sony f828 rather easily since I have a remote too. Also I can set my shutter noise to "none." That's one thing if I get a dSLR I will miss a great deal.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    Nice series of unnoticed photography. I especially liked the looks on the boy and girl.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 11, 2006
    Loved the tour!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2006
    Set
    Thanks all for looking and for your comments.

The sleeping porter is a nice slice of London life. I missed the chance to ask the traffic warden to cross the road and pretend to issue him a ticket.

The two youngsters is a slight miss on focus, picking up the rear poster. I'll not shoot centre focus next time.

I entered the card shot as my first challange entry. As I metioned in another post 'you need to be in it to talk about it' so I thought I'd start making a bit more effort here.

Glad you enjoyed the set.

Bod.