Options

Aerial Photography

DeanMcMDeanMcM Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
edited August 11, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Anyone in the NY area know of anyone who does aeriel photograpy?

Within the next couple weeks, my place of employment needs photos of our sites from the air. I would love to do it but no plane or helicopter. :dunno

Thanks
Dean
Dean - New York
Canon Rebel Xsi, Fuji FinePix F10
mcphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    DeanMcM wrote:

Within the next couple weeks, my place of employment needs photos of our sites from the air. I would love to do it but no plane or helicopter. ne_nau.gif

Thanks
    Dean

Check with the local small airports and stuff like that. Should be able to find a pilot to take you up. If they are doing training runs and have to go up anyways you might be able to get a discount.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    Check with the local small airports and stuff like that. Should be able to find a pilot to take you up. If they are doing training runs and have to go up anyways you might be able to get a discount.
    Would a heliocopter be best?

Thanks!
    Dean - New York
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    DeanMcM wrote:
    Would a heliocopter be best?

Thanks!
    Never done it but probably. The biggest thing I would think you should keep in mind is shutter speeds. You will prolly need failry fast shutter speeds whatever the aircraft it till be vibrating some plus you are moving and pretty good speed as well.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    Never done it but probably. The biggest thing I would think you should keep in mind is shutter speeds. You will prolly need failry fast shutter speeds whatever the aircraft it till be vibrating some plus you are moving and pretty good speed as well.
    Thanks!
    Dean - New York
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    DeanMcM wrote:
    Thanks!
    OK so I just noticed I can't type, or spell worth crap today. I hope you got what I ment by the words that are out of place.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Our corresponding State agency (I work for the Dept of Interior) does aerial photography on a regular basis - they fly in police helicopters. As far as I can tell, the photographs appear very sharp taken from helicopters.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    Jnichols wrote:
    Our corresponding State agency (I work for the Dept of Interior) does aerial photography on a regular basis - they fly in police helicopters. As far as I can tell, the photographs appear very sharp taken from helicopters.
    Thanks Jen, I am searching for heliocopter services locally.

If no luck I will try planes.

Dean
    Dean - New York
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    One thing that's always fascinated me is Kite Aerial Photography. Anyone doing any of that?

(I suppose not, otherwise we would have seen some, right?)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    One thing that's always fascinated me is Kite Aerial Photography. Anyone doing any of that?

(I suppose not, otherwise we would have seen some, right?)
    I looked into this a long time ago, looks pretty cool.
    Dean - New York
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    Hot Air Balloon
    Not being silly, balloons are lovely to shoot from because you can walk around in the basket to get angles - of course the travel direction is with the wind. Although I guess your "sites" are city not up-state so you cannot fly over in balloon. Helicopter is next best and yes there is a lot of vibration/need high shutter speed also high dof need. Sky Acres airport used to do a lot of low work for photographers (in New Jersey I think, maybe further - near Van Sant).

It was all fairly inexpensive when I was there in 1980 but wide variations so probably still best to do some cost comparisons before taking the first quote.

Wish it was me: can't afford to fly at all now. Anyone been to Oshkosh??
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2005
    Not being silly, balloons are lovely to shoot from because you can walk around in the basket to get angles - of course the travel direction is with the wind. Although I guess your "sites" are city not up-state so you cannot fly over in balloon. Helicopter is next best and yes there is a lot of vibration/need high shutter speed also high dof need. Sky Acres airport used to do a lot of low work for photographers (in New Jersey I think, maybe further - near Van Sant).

It was all fairly inexpensive when I was there in 1980 but wide variations so probably still best to do some cost comparisons before taking the first quote.

Wish it was me: can't afford to fly at all now. Anyone been to Oshkosh??
    Ive been to osh kosh, but only saw about 10 helicopters there......square miles and miles of boring old palnes though (anythign that isnt ready to crash at any second is boring :D)
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2005
    Maybe you have one of these fella's in your area. This bloke is always at work...you can see the balloon for miles.

Its just a ballon on a rope with a camera on it.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2005
    Hey guys, yeah the balloons would'nt work to well. We have over 800 acres in three locations. So a plane or helocopter would be best, to move around better.

The small baloon thing is cool, I also found some 50 ft tri-pods. Nice for taking photos of building.

Thanks
    Dean
    Dean - New York
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2005
    Boring old Planes!!
    Chase wrote:
    Ive been to osh kosh, but only saw about 10 helicopters there......square miles and miles of boring old palnes though (anythign that isnt ready to crash at any second is boring :D)
    Boring old Planes?? I'm sure that was just a slip and you meant to say "exciting, innovational aircraft". No? Oh, well.
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    Boring old Planes?? I'm sure that was just a slip and you meant to say "exciting, innovational aircraft". No? Oh, well.
    <
    Student Helicopter pilot. My dad flies a Bell Long Ranger. 'nuff said, :D.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    jrykowskijrykowski Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2005
    DeanMcM wrote:
    Don't forget to look for alternatives... There are services which use remote controlled helicopters to do aerial photos (and video)...

Example (just after a quick Google search)...

http://www.phuketdir.com/helicam/

May be less costly than hiring a "real" aeriel photo service.

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    trogloditetroglodite Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    I realise that this is a bit late for this job but I do perform Aerial Photography services in the CT/Upstate NY area.

examples here: http://www.mtharris.com/aerial-photography.php

thx!
    is now gone. i have no time for cliques and fan clubs.