More things I wish I could do from the API

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
My smugmug.py command line tools uses almost the whole API and does almost everything useful I could think of given the basic tools. But there are some pretty simple things it cannot do:
  1. Delete photos
  2. Delete gallaries
  3. Sort photos within galleries
  4. Sort galleries within subcategories/categories
  5. Customize galleries once they are created (but it can set allmost all the customizations when it creates galleries.)
  6. Move photos between galleries
Can we expect API enhancements in these directions? Is development of the API active? I can understand that it might be very slow as it's not the most urgent thing by far. I'd just like to know if I have a playmate or so on this.
If not now, when?

Comments

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2004
    What exactly is API?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    What exactly is API?
    API stands for Application Program Interface. Smugmug published some interfaces to allow one to write programs to do stuff (like upload photos) without usign the browser. You can find this here.
    If not now, when?
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    My smugmug.py command line tools uses almost the whole API and does almost everything useful I could think of given the basic tools. But there are some pretty simple things it cannot do:
    1. Delete photos
    2. Delete gallaries
    3. Sort photos within galleries
    4. Sort galleries within subcategories/categories
    5. Customize galleries once they are created (but it can set allmost all the customizations when it creates galleries.)
    6. Move photos between galleries
    Can we expect API enhancements in these directions? Is development of the API active? I can understand that it might be very slow as it's not the most urgent thing by far. I'd just like to know if I have a playmate or so on this.

The API is under active development, yes. You can expect most of those things, and a lot more, in the future... but we're taking it slow. Both due to other higher priority items, but also to try to get each method right the first time, rather than having to revise and reversion things when we make mistakes.

Stay tuned.

Don
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    API stands for Application Program Interface. Smugmug published some interfaces to allow one to write programs to do stuff (like upload photos) without usign the browser. You can find this here.

Sounds way over my head...

Keep up the good work.
    :D