Options

Shopping Cart Issues

CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
edited August 14, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,

I've been having MAJOR shopping cart issues today!!!
Issues with the cart are certainly NOT uncommon but geezzzzs this is worse than ever. Had a customer trying to place an order who couldn't get it to go through at all so she came out here. I'm on high speed and the time lag & trouble is so bad I finnally decided to forget about placing her order for now and try again later. I love my prints from EZ but I'm seriously tempted to just take the cd another local lab (not nearly as good but no hassle).

Trying to order prints from several galleries and thought that one gallery's selections never got entered so later went back and did it again... I don't know if they were in the cart and just not showing up before but when I did it again later they were all in the cart twice..... UGGHHHHH.... now to delete the duplicates (about 75) without screwing up everything else allready in the cart. Now is where a delete button by each photo to select images you want to delete would come in REAL nice... then I could just update. Instead they have to be deleted one at a time & doing it one at a time is horribly long... the other option is starting over by emptying the cart which means going through another 1-1/2 hours locating each photo to add and hope you don't make another mistake... I give up.

Another thing I really dislike is not being able to see the file # in the cart... uggghhhh... nevermind I've vented enough for now.

Sorry for the ranting vent... I just really needed to blow the steam.
I love smugmug but I really hate the cart today :)
Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    The issue is adding many images to the cart at once. If it seems like it locked up, just wait...and wait and wait. It's my pet peeve, but it comes up so rarely. Now with the deleting thing, IIRC (but I'm not sure I do) there is a quantity box next to each item and there is an update somewhere there, no? If I do RC then you can enter 0 in those boxes and update to delete.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    The issue is adding many images to the cart at once. If it seems like it locked up, just wait...and wait and wait. It's my pet peeve, but it comes up so rarely. Now with the deleting thing, IIRC (but I'm not sure I do) there is a quantity box next to each item and there is an update somewhere there, no? If I do RC then you can enter 0 in those boxes and update to delete.
    Richard

Yes - it's from so many images at once I'm confident of that. I'd gladly break it into smaller orders if it weren't for the s/h so no can't do.

I tried changing quantity to '0' in one but when I updated it deleted both (allthough not everytime... it has a mind of it's own today I guess that's sssslllllllllllllllowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww at that.

I then tried deleting the duplicates with the delete button under each photo..... I think I successfully deleted 3 photos before it then came up with a page error of some sort. Hit refresh and boom the deleted files were back again. Tried to delete again and it changed to a white page and remained that way for over a half hour. Decided to try other stuff so then I checked my e-mail, browsed on-line (fast) and came here..... all the while the white page still sits there. I tried hitting refresh and it opened another white page staying that way for several minutes so finnally I just closed it. Will try again later once I'm past the point of wanting to reach through the monitor to hit the cart :-( Laughing.gif!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Yes - it's from so many images at once I'm confident of that. I'd gladly break it into smaller orders if it weren't for the s/h so no can't do.

I tried changing quantity to '0' in one but when I updated it deleted both (allthough not everytime... it has a mind of it's own today I guess that's sssslllllllllllllllowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww at that.

I then tried deleting the duplicates with the delete button under each photo..... I think I successfully deleted 3 photos before it then came up with a page error of some sort. Hit refresh and boom the deleted files were back again. Tried to delete again and it changed to a white page and remained that way for over a half hour. Decided to try other stuff so then I checked my e-mail, browsed on-line (fast) and came here..... all the while the white page still sits there. I tried hitting refresh and it opened another white page staying that way for several minutes so finnally I just closed it. Will try again later once I'm past the point of wanting to reach through the monitor to hit the cart :-( Laughing.gif!

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for venting and posting lol3.gif It does feel good to get it out, yes? Sorry you're having troubles. What browser are you using? Reason I ask, is that I use the shopping cart many many times every day all day and I don't have these sorts of probs - and I deal with very large orders, too. I use Firefox v1.5.

This doesn't mean we can't improve! I'll make sure that the engineers see your post. BTW, the way to delete MANY at once *is* to put in 0 in the ones you want gone then hit UPDATE.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    I'll note that even with firefox I have slowness issues with large add to carts (large meaning like hundreds of photos, I've never tested less than 100).
    Richard
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    I'll note that even with firefox I have slowness issues with large add to carts (large meaning like hundreds of photos, I've never tested less than 100).
    Richard

No question, it will take longer for 100 photos, 200 photos, than 10 or 20. The cart's doing *a lot* of stuff, when you think about it naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    IE - I know - I know lol
    Yes venting helps me :bash just wish it helped the cart to though umph.gif
    I"m using IE (I know don't throw stuff at me) but decided long ago to stick with it since that's what 99% of my customers use. That way hopefully I'll notice problems before they encounter them... maybe. BTW: this order is one a customer was trying to place but got so frustrated she came to me... Laughing.gif - might as well laugh aye.

Forgot to mention another issue with changing quantity from '1' to '0'
    click on one box with the '1' - wait, wait, wait - change to '0' wait, wait, wait, click another box with a '1' wait, wait, wait... okay you get the drift. I wasn't timing it but I could easily finished a book before ever finishing deleting the pics.

Just opened my cart in another window and there are 340 pictures in there. I really don't want to loose the stuff from 6 other galleries I added so later tonight or tomarrow 'real' early I'll try changing the '0's again. The total should probably be about 280. I needed to duplicate some for larger prints to but I'm guessing that will be out of the question time wise... might as well spend for the extra s/h and do it seperatly. rolleyes1.gif

Later All & Have a happy evening (or day or whatever it is wherever you are :-)
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Yes venting helps me :bash just wish it helped the cart to though umph.gif
    I"m using IE (I know don't throw stuff at me) but decided long ago to stick with it since that's what 99% of my customers use. That way hopefully I'll notice problems before they encounter them... maybe. BTW: this order is one a customer was trying to place but got so frustrated she came to me... Laughing.gif - might as well laugh aye.

Forgot to mention another issue with changing quantity from '1' to '0'
    click on one box with the '1' - wait, wait, wait - change to '0' wait, wait, wait, click another box with a '1' wait, wait, wait... okay you get the drift. I wasn't timing it but I could easily finished a book before ever finishing deleting the pics.

Just opened my cart in another window and there are 340 pictures in there. I really don't want to loose the stuff from 6 other galleries I added so later tonight or tomarrow 'real' early I'll try changing the '0's again. The total should probably be about 280. I needed to duplicate some for larger prints to but I'm guessing that will be out of the question time wise... might as well spend for the extra s/h and do it seperatly. rolleyes1.gif

Later All & Have a happy evening (or day or whatever it is wherever you are :-)

I must admit, Smugmug's checkout process in not the easiest i've ever seen rolleyes1.gif ... :D

It can be quite slow (even with only just over 20 pics) and the user looses navigation context (no way to go back to the gallery you were on or the user you were buying pics from: using the 'back' button is not very user friendly).

It would be nice if smugmug can have a similar buying/checking-out experience as, for example, Amazon. Not with all the bells and whistles, but just its general design.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    It would be nice if smugmug can have a similar buying/checking-out experience as, for example, Amazon. Not with all the bells and whistles, but just its general design.

But... you can't "crop" a book, or order it in 3 different finishes, or a bazillion different sizes... and you don't apply the ordering info from the first book in your cart to a bunch of others..

Onethumb and JT have put a lot of intelligence into the shopping cart. It's not like buying a standard SKU.
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    But... you can't "crop" a book, or order it in 3 different finishes, or a bazillion different sizes... and you don't apply the ordering info from the first book in your cart to a bunch of others..

Onethumb and JT have put a lot of intelligence into the shopping cart. It's not like buying a standard SKU.

I agree with you Andy. All that is not easy and onethumb and jt did a great job on that! My main beefs are the slowness and the missing navigation context.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    All it needs is more bandwidth. I decree that smugmug shall buy 1 billion servers! Come on guys, you know you want to mwink.gif
  • Options
    cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    first and last order?
    After 14 hours of uploading 1.3 GB worth of files (215 pictures) then 2 hours putting it all into the shopping cart (one gallery at a time) and finally placing an order which by the way is not even confirmed yet -- I am waiting for the confirmation page to come back ... it's been ""Opening page ..." for over 45 MINUTES! I am beginning to doubt my decision to use SMUGMUG for my prints. Certainly if this process is not going to improve any time soon I will never order prints using your service.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    After 14 hours of uploading 1.3 GB worth of files (215 pictures) then 2 hours putting it all into the shopping cart (one gallery at a time) and finally placing an order which by the way is not even confirmed yet -- I am waiting for the confirmation page to come back ... it's been ""Opening page ..." for over 45 MINUTES! I am beginning to doubt my decision to use SMUGMUG for my prints. Certainly if this process is not going to improve any time soon I will never order prints using your service.
    Hi Cabinetbuff, I'm your House Pro, and I'll help you tonight. Sunday nights are usually busiest - lots of people uploading and ordering, but it should process just fine if you have any trouble, let us know. One thing that helps, is a steady and good internet connection, and if you wouldn't mind, what browser and version are you using?
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    Thank you for quick feedback.

I am using IE and have very good steady connection using DSL.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    Thank you for quick feedback.

I am using IE and have very good steady connection using DSL.

IE6, yes? The version is important.

Ok well if you can't complete the order, let us know. Either here, or at the help desk.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    Incredible! After 60 minutes of waiting for order confirmation all I got was this:

Your shopping cart is empty.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    IE6, yes? The version is important.

Yes it's IE6.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2006
    Incredible! After 60 minutes of waiting for order confirmation all I got was this:

Your shopping cart is empty.
    Ouch, I'm terribly sorry this happened to you. If you'll take this up at our help desk, I'm sure we can sort you out. These situations are rare, but they happen. help@smugmug.com thanks