Options

Tripod Head Help!

CloudkickerCloudkicker Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited August 22, 2006 in Accessories
Hey all after doing some research im planning on buying the Bogen/Manfratto Magfiber Pro Carbon Fiber 4-Section tripod legs, but I need some help with picking out the right ball head? Are Acratech ball heads any good? What about the Bogen/Manfratto heads they have so many. Help me pick a head. I would like to spend 200+-. Thanks.
Canon 30D, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L USM, Canon 580EX

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    Hard to tell...
    Hey all after doing some research im planning on buying the Bogen/Manfratto Magfiber Pro Carbon Fiber 4-Section tripod legs, but I need some help with picking out the right ball head? Are Acratech ball heads any good? What about the Bogen/Manfratto heads they have so many. Help me pick a head. I would like to spend 200+-. Thanks.

As you've said, there are so many!

I just got mine. I've chosen Acratech UB v2 because of its weight, performance specs and general construction: after visiting Antelope canyon I'm taking the concept of dust very seriously. In both UB designs there is simply no place for dust to go, at least in the ball area (pano disk still may have some issues, but any head with one will).
    However, both Acratechs are well beyond your budget (although you can get a used V1 for about $220..$250, here at andybay or at fredmiranda).
    My next choice probably would be one of the smaller RSS heads.
    I have a burning feeling that any head in your price range would deliver similar performance, so unless you're willing to do more homework and compare them side by side, you might as well get the one your left pinkie would point to and start using it :-)

Let us know what your decision is!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    I use a Manfrotto 190 pro tripod & a manfrotto 222 ball head. Had it all about a year & love it.

Just do one thing for me though ...before you pay for a head...pick the 222 ballhead i have mentioned above up & see how it feels on a tripod. Lightning fast maneuverability !!! K? I cant imagine shooting without it.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    I use the BH-40 LR and the Gitzo but... both more then you want to spend ne_nau.gif

One thing don't buy a cheap tripod or cheap head you will be buying again.

Fred
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    As you've said, there are so many!

I just got mine. I've chosen Acratech UB v2 because of its weight, performance specs and general construction: after visiting Antelope canyon I'm taking the concept of dust very seriously. In both UB designs there is simply no place for dust to go, at least in the ball area (pano disk still may have some issues, but any head with one will).

Can you tell more about how the V2 compares vs. the V1
    with respect to collecting dust? I have the V1 but dislike
    the fact that it can tilt over and make the lens hit the tripod
    (already had this happen). The V2 looks like other ballheads,
    where dust can stay in the "cup" forever or is at least hard
    to remove. This would be really helpful info!
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2006
    UB V2 and dust: NAI (Not An Issue)
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Can you tell more about how the V2 compares vs. the V1
    with respect to collecting dust? I have the V1 but dislike
    the fact that it can tilt over and make the lens hit the tripod
    (already had this happen). The V2 looks like other ballheads,

Mafr3d, the standard product pictures don't do the V2 head justice. The only thing that actually covers (and touches) the ball is the narrow primary rim on its sides. The is no "cup". The bottom part is completely clear and there is a gap ~1mm wide between the bottom of the ball and the head's base.

Since this is my first ballhead I can't compare it with anything. I read the reviews on the V1 and saw it in action (Jack CalfeeRider had it in Antelope canyon during the post-shootout and apparently had zero dust issues with it. So when I learned about V2 I decided to take the leap of faith and get this one, even though I could get V1 for about $100 cheaper (I paid $329 + $10 s/h for V2).

I'm gonna use my new tripod combo for a while and then hopefully will produce a review on both the legs and the head.

HTH
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Mafr3d, the standard product pictures don't do the V2 head justice. The only thing that actually covers (and touches) the ball is the narrow primary rim on its sides. The is no "cup". The bottom part is completely clear and there is a gap ~1mm wide between the bottom of the ball and the head's base.

Since this is my first ballhead I can't compare it with anything. I read the reviews on the V1 and saw it in action (Jack CalfeeRider had it in Antelope canyon during the post-shootout and apparently had zero dust issues with it. So when I learned about V2 I decided to take the leap of faith and get this one, even though I could get V1 for about $100 cheaper (I paid $329 + $10 s/h for V2).

I'm gonna use my new tripod combo for a while and then hopefully will produce a review on both the legs and the head.

HTH
    Thank you so much! Indeed the V2 looks like it really has a cup.
    I'm going to upgrade when santa comes around, thats now for
    sure. Also the V1 is only some 30$ cheaper if you buy it with all
    rubber knobs (like the V2 has per default).

If others want to see the V2 no-cup google has proof (duh' me):
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=de&q=Acratech&btnG=Google-Suche&sa=N&tab=wi

CloudKicker: I can recommend Acratech, its very lightweight and
    robust. I hope the V2 will be even better than the V1 with its
    improvements. I hope I didn't hijack your thread too much ;)

If you're on a budget, you might want to look into Gitzo ballheads.
    They are not so popular but the 1377M (with tension control) is
    a nice ballhead. I dont know about the 1277M which is cheaper
    and half the weight (~500g) of the 1377. Manfrotto I dont have
    any experiences with.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2006
    V2 vs v1 price
    Manfr3d wrote:
    It does, doesn't it? :):
    You're welcome!
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I'm going to upgrade when santa comes around, thats now for sure. Also the V1 is only some 30$ cheaper if you buy it with all
    Well, there are some used V1s on the market here and there, all around $225. But V2 is a fairly new item, hence nothing used, you have to pay the sticker..ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:
    The V2 looks like other ballheads,
    I've used V1 for a couple of years, in all sorts of conditions, never had a problem with the ballhead at all. Zip. Zero. Nada. Dunno what this business of "dust collecting in the cup" is all about, never seen it or experienced it. ne_nau.gif

My greedy eyes are on a Really Right Stuff ballhead for my next upgrade. And a Gitzo 1158.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I've used V1 for a couple of years, in all sorts of conditions, never had a problem with the ballhead at all. Zip. Zero. Nada. Dunno what this business of "dust collecting in the cup" is all about, never seen it or experienced it. ne_nau.gif

My greedy eyes are on a Really Right Stuff ballhead for my next upgrade. And a Gitzo 1158.

My G1077M had this problem. The Head would turn, but make
    "zzzzzqqqquuuiiieeek" sounds and fell like moving it in sandpaper.
    It was very difficult to clean because some dust (more fine sand than
    dust really) would always remain somewhere in the ballhead.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:
    My G1077M had this problem.
    Bummer, good to know. Note to self, don't buy a Gitzo ballhead.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 15, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

I think fine sand would be a problem for almost any good ball head like the Arca-Swiss or the RRS BH-55 or BH-40, but I would not stress out over the concern. I do clean that kind of grit from the ball with a fine brush at the end of the day -

Sid, I have been looking for a good tripod that folds up short enough to fit on a bike and I hoped you had found it in the Gitzo 1158. But it is really short - only 44 inches tall without the column extended, and only 53 inches with the column extended. Is this high enough to use comfortabley standing?? I think it is low enough to give me a crick in my neck with extended use, unless I sit down. But I have a solution for sitting down.

I will continue to carry my ground tripod from RRS for now - it is even shorter, but I will sit it on my bike as needed, I think, or just sit on the ground.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/pod/index.html
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2006
    What about the 1157?

It's 58" extended.
    Sid.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 15, 2006
    4 piece legs for 5 more inches. I think I'm still looking.

I probably won't find what I'm hoping will come along.ne_nau.gif Thanks anyway, Sid.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I'm going to upgrade when santa comes around, thats now for
    sure. Also the V1 is only some 30$ cheaper if you buy it with all

If others want to see the V2 no-cup google has proof (duh' me):
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=de&q=Acratech&btnG=Google-Suche&sa=N&tab=wi

CloudKicker: I can recommend Acratech, its very lightweight and
    robust. I hope the V2 will be even better than the V1 with its
    improvements. I hope I didn't hijack your thread too much ;)

If you're on a budget, you might want to look into Gitzo ballheads.
    They are not so popular but the 1377M (with tension control) is
    a nice ballhead. I dont know about the 1277M which is cheaper
    and half the weight (~500g) of the 1377. Manfrotto I dont have
    any experiences with.

Looking at the product shots it seems to me the simply took that 45-degree segment & rotated it flat, then put a drop-down notch in it. The V2 looks tempting, though I've had my heart set on the RRS BH-40.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2006
    Thanks Guys!!! Well i think im going to save a bit more and get the Acratech V2
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2006
    Good choice, sir!
    Thanks Guys!!! Well i think im going to save a bit more and get the Acratech V2

The price is pretty much the same all over the 'Net. I'd probably order from B&H or Adorama, but both were out of stock on V2. I ended up ordering from acephoto (they are in VA), just to avoid CA sales tax. They take all major CCs and paypal. I saved about $30 in taxes alone and received the merchandise in 3 days, as promised.
  • Options
    juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Actually B&H has the v2 in stock for $329.95 . I added it to my wish list.

Link to it here.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2006
    Jj,
    juliejules wrote:
    Actually B&H has the v2 in stock for $329.95 . I added it to my wish list.
    Link to it here.

Thanks for the update! They were out two weeks ago, looks like they had replenished their inventory :-)
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006

I can only say that recently got the RRS BH-40 after a LOT of research and reckon it is a fantastic piece of kit _ ! recommend it
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    I use the BH-40 LR and the Gitzo but... both more then you want to spend ne_nau.gif

One thing don't buy a cheap tripod or cheap head you will be buying again.

Fred

what he said1drink.gif1drink.gif1drink.gif
    (My Gitzo is the 1257)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    Okay now im having some second thoughts is the BH-40 really that good? What about the Bh-55? How does the 40 compare to the V2? I cant make my decision. Thanks in advance for your input.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    BH-40 vs UB v2
    Okay now im having some second thoughts is the BH-40 really that good? What about the Bh-55? How does the 40 compare to the V2? I cant make my decision. Thanks in advance for your input.

BH-55 is much heavier (and more expensive). BH-40 is lighter, but still heavier than UB (v1 or v2, they both weight about the same).
    BH has levers, while UB has knobs. It may be a love/hate thing, but the thing is, you can quickly learn to use any, there is nothing to it.
    BH has a "cup", which, as was pointed out before, can collect the dust or the fine sand. UB does not have this flaw simply by design.
    AFAIK, BH comes with a pretty pouch to cover it when not in use. UB does not. :-))
    And, of course, there always a price difference. mwink.gif
    Decision, as always, is yours to make :-)

HTH
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006

The reasons I chose the BH-40 with the lever mechanism:
    It is snap loading with a lever (i.e. quick!)
    I wanted the LIGHTEST BH that would do the job, as I will be walking lots with it. The BH-40 will take any of my lenses and camera with strength to spare, and is light, but very strong and firm. I have walked quite a while with the tripod/head combo and it doesn't tire me at all.

(My heaviest intended lens will be the 300f2.8, but that's a while off and if the BH-40 isn't up to it I will get an upgrade)
    If I was considering the 400mm, 50mm, 600mm, than I would get the BH-55

This is my first ball head and I can say that it is definitely no harder to use than pan/tilt set ups and probably a lot easier once you get familiar with it, ( I have only been oiut with it 3 times so far). It certainly takes up less space.

I love the SIMPLE and VERSATILE controls.
    they are easy to use and do everything exactly as they should, with exact markings for panos etc.
    If the main lever is in the wrong position due to camera angle etc, it can very quickly be reset, which no other system can AFAIK
    I like the look of it
    It has two slots for portrait mode (others only have one)

The rest of their system is brilliant and another good reason to start buying their stuff.

Please CHECK OUT the RRS site info on their ball heads , it is pretty much bang on, i.e. what they say about their design and aslo size to wheight requirements
    If the whieght of lenses you intend using is within the BH-40 range go for it _ you will be very pleased with it. Only get the BH-55 if you have really big heavy lenses

ALL the reviews I read also rated it above ANY other ball head
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    I think im going to go with my first decision The V2. :) Thanks everyone for your input. thumb.gif