Portrait Shoot with natural light ....

Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited August 22, 2006 in Technique
A quick question for those who have worked with flashes to create fill etc, here's my prediciment:

I have suddenly found myself with a booking for a family portraiture shoot (god, how do I get myself into these things!). My set up at home consists of a very large black background strung up in my lounge, with big picture windows for the light, I muffle the glare if the day is bright with a big sheet of filter type fabric .... I'm wondering whether I will need to invest in:

1) A speedlight to eliminate dark faces and shadows ... I have been meaning to get one, but it was one of those things I said "i'll get it when I need it" .... Is that time now?! It is a family of 4, 2 kids, so I doubt that I'm going to have a great deal of cooperation from the youngsters when it comes to exact positioning of faces etc, and I want it to feel relaxed and not too posed, so do you think I should make the investment now? .... and if you know anything about speedlights, feel free to suggest one (I was thinking along the lines of Sigma 550? or a Canon ... I think 420?? :dunno )

2) 'Tis my birthday this week and I have convinced hubby to let me get a cheapo 18-55 mm kit lense (they are all of $50) do you think this would be useful, or should I just stick with the straight 50 mm that I already have? ....

Any suggestions/comments greatly appreciated .... I am yet to do a portrait shoot with the new 30D, so I'm a tad nervous! :huh :D

Canon EOS 30D
Sigma 10-20
Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
Canon 18-55
Canon 50 f1.8
Canon 430EX

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    I know little about studios & portraits & most probably...never will with any luck. Its not something i would like to do at all personally. You have got yourself in a little bit of shit being that your taking bookings for such an event & dont own some of the very basics (that you knew so end of lecture)

As we all well know, photography is about light & i think this may be a time you look at investing in some studio lighting. Maybe some type of defuser along with a decent flash unit or some other indoor lighting with umbrellas etc. Light is VERY important for studios particularly & cannot be overlooked.

As i said...i have no idea about indoor portraits but a studio lightning set up would be my immediate advice. I actually have that kit lens you mentioned & whilst it aint no $2k L lens...i love it & use it a lot.
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    I kinda agree with Gus: portrait ain't no easy thing when it comes to get a good light indoor using artificial one.

In your case, you may consider buying a canon speedlight (not a sunpak one, whose light ain't as good) with a little ombrella kit (ombrella + stand). This last list may cost around $200, including the synchro cable. One flash is okay if you know what you're doing, creatively speaking. If you're more into candid portrait, you may need two flashes... and as much ombrella + stands.

But you definitely cannot improvise: you've got to know your gear very well, so you won't be fighting with your flash setup ! you'll have to work in the manual mode, so you avoid bad surprises.

I hope the meeting is not for soon: in that case, you'll encounter much difficulties.

If you're used to "no-flash" portrait, stay that way with this work. You'll be much more "confident" with your gear :)

Last but not least, about the 18-55 : throw it away ! it's cheap and it's not for nothing... buy a fixed lens instead. If your 50 mm is okay, stay with it: it provides much better images thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    portrait ain't no easy thing when it comes to get a good light indoor using artificial one .....

Ahhh.. I feel a challenge being set! ... ! :D

It should be ok, I'm not proposing to use only artificial light, the window creates good light :
    58385261-M.jpg

i was just getting some dark spots sometimes where the light doesn't hit their faces in an ideal way:

16979735-M.jpg

I suppose I am just wondering whether a fill flash (speedlight) would combat this problem or make it worse? .... (above shots were taken with my Fuji s7000 - basically a P&S in a big boy body)...

This will be my first portrait shoot with the DSLR, and they DEFINATELY do not behave in the same way! :uhoh

Don't worry Gus - I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. People know when they book with me that they aren't going to be ushered into a $30K studio set up. I only charge $225, and they get all their photographs on CD to do with what they like, so for that price, the light from my window will do just fine.

And I recon I'll just stick with the straight 50mm lens (the bloke that had the 2nd hand kit lens sold the bloody thing!) so I don't really have a choice ....

Thanks for the feedback though - and I'll be sure to post any successes that I have after this weekend! Wish me luck! :):

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Ahhh.. I feel a challenge being set! ... ! :D

It should be ok, I'm not proposing to use only artificial light, the window creates good light :
    58385261-M.jpg

i was just getting some dark spots sometimes where the light doesn't hit their faces in an ideal way: (...)
    Hi,

yes : DSLR and Film Camera don't react the same way, but not that much :)

Here is a portrait I've done last week to test some new stuff. Almost directly from the sensor, for I haven't have any time to work on it, the frame is not okay... Anyway :

ad20060806-113.jpg

You may think there's no flash but... there is one.

Each photographer has his own way to do it. Here's what I like to do.

I've standed my flash right next to the window. There was few light but I wanted the photo looking as "natural" as possible.

What I've used was pretty simple :

– 1 single flash (Nikon SB800)
    – 1 ombrella + stand.

Add a synchro cord and a Sekonic Flashmeter (with a DSLR, you can do without it, if you got time)... that's it ! thumb.gif

Here is my point : You're used to available light but need to fix some things while not mastering flash setup ? Well ! do it that way ;)

Here is the EXIF data :

image: ad20060806-113.tif
    maker: NIKON CORPORATION
    model: NIKON D200
    exposure program: Manuel
    ISO speed: 100
    shutter speed: 1/125
    aperture: f3,2
    exposure bias: +0,0
    focal length: 17,0
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 16, 2006
    If you plan on using window light as your main light, ( it was good enough for Rembrandt - right!! I love windowlight too!! ) a reflector for fill may be easier and cheaper than a speedlight. Just put the reflector opposite the window with the subject between them, and this will help fill in the shadowed side.

A piece white or gold painted styrofoam will work, or crumpled Aluminum foil on Masonite on a stand, or you can purchase reflectors of all kinds from Adorama or B&H. Look in the ads in the back of photo mags or their websites. Reflectasol is a good brand of hand held reflector.

Nonetheless, owning and learning to really use an electronic flash off the camera body with an umbrella or soft box, can really improve your images. This does not depend on camera type or brand, simply on improving your lighting. This is a skill and ablity that will always be useful, no matter what camera you are using.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Hi there,

Just thought I would show what I got from the portrait shoot :

This is my set up:

90058545-M.jpg

And said I say curtain I actually just mean long lengths of fabric which I sewed together the night before! .... and this is some of what I got :

89888499-M.jpg

89888493-M.jpg

89888496-M.jpg

89888501-M.jpg

89888502-M.jpg

89888506-M.jpg

89888500-M.jpg

88943786-M.jpg

What do you think? For $100 in lighting (or should I say fabric!), compared to the simplest lighting set up for around $1,700. Not too bad I don't recon ....

Thanks for your help and suggestions ...

edited to add: I lie: I did actually decide to fork out for the 450EX and one of those filter hoody thingos ... and just bounced the light off the ceiling....

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX