Options

How to Obtain a Press Pass

USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
edited August 17, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Been trying to get a press pass to some of the local race tracks here in town with no luck.
Any suggestions ?
Got close once but they finally told me they have a track photographer.
And that was the end of that:huh

Fred

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
  • Options
    morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    The way that I see it, they can't keep you from going and taking photos, that being said. What I would do is go to the track as much as possible and build a portfolio of your best work, when you have (say the best 25 to 35 shots, remember to keep it short that way they do not get bored while looking at the photographs) take them to the papers and the track where you want to shot and present them. Be prepared for set backs but remember that they have seen your work and know that if they need to get a race photographer they know where to look first.
    Hope that this helps you a little.
    Bob.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2006
    Make your own :D

:D
    Thought of that but havent tried it yet John
    Wanted to give it a go the correct way first...but we will see

Fred
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2006
    The way that I see it, they can't keep you from going and taking photos, that being said. What I would do is go to the track as much as possible and build a portfolio of your best work, when you have (say the best 25 to 35 shots, remember to keep it short that way they do not get bored while looking at the photographs) take them to the papers and the track where you want to shot and present them. Be prepared for set backs but remember that they have seen your work and know that if they need to get a race photographer they know where to look first.
    Hope that this helps you a little.
    Bob.
    Sounds like a good way to go Bob
    It is just what I was planning to do...I just hate to shoot behind that fence

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 12, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Sounds like a good way to go Bob
    It is just what I was planning to do...I just hate to shoot behind that fence

Thanks
    Fred
    don't know if this will help but it might... check to see if they have a ticket for pit pass... or see if an individual racer will put you on his list.for infeld and pitt passes.. that is how i got to the infield before i started working for the paper .. and now that i have my credentials i don't have time to go to the track..:cry

ne_nau.gif curtis
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2006
    don't know if this will help but it might... check to see if they have a ticket for pit pass... or see if an individual racer will put you on his list.for infeld and pitt passes.. that is how i got to the infield before i started working for the paper .. and now that i have my credentials i don't have time to go to the track..:cry

ne_nau.gif curtis
    Thank you for the help
    My last email to the track I did ask for that very same thing but still no luck.
    I am going to call monday maybe email is not the way to go

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    There is a really easy way to get a press pass that has always worked for me but it takes some leg work.

Find a magazine, a small specialty magazine that covers this type of event. Odd's are they can't afford to send a photographer out. Offer to let them use some of your photo's for their magazine if they get you in on a official press pass.

Yeah it kinda sucks not getting paid for the photos at first but you get your press cred's and that way you can start making contacts for being able to get one in the future. You rub their back, and they rub yours. Great way to get full access press passes that has worked for me several times..
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2006
    That is a great idea and Im not worried about getting paid.
    Just using this as a learning tool and we will see where it goes.

Also I shot some boat races few weeks back and didn't do very good.

The action stuff is harder then it looks...really makes me appreciate what the guys in the Sports fourm can do.
    And it kind of ticked me off that I couldn't do it very well but...practice,practice,practice

Thanks for the help
    Fred
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    Make your own :D
    That's not how it works.

Places that grant access to media make their own passes. Are you suggesting Fred forge one of their documents?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    There is a really easy way to get a press pass that has always worked for me but it takes some leg work.

Find a magazine, a small specialty magazine that covers this type of event. Odd's are they can't afford to send a photographer out. Offer to let them use some of your photo's for their magazine if they get you in on a official press pass.

Yeah it kinda sucks not getting paid for the photos at first but you get your press cred's and that way you can start making contacts for being able to get one in the future. You rub their back, and they rub yours. Great way to get full access press passes that has worked for me several times..
    thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    That's not how it works.

Places that grant access to media make their own passes. Are you suggesting Fred forge one of their documents?

John's Tongue in cheek...:D

Fred
  • Options
    wmas1960wmas1960 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    There are a few things to note in relation to getting press credentials. There is a difference between a press identification that you would get from an employer or, as an independant photographer, could print yourself, and what you might need to get into an event or other crime or accident scene. Keep in mind that such documentation will not get you into venues or events at will. They are simply professional IDs or credentials that can identify you as a professional photographer or member of the media and explain any affiliations that you might have. I have yet to pursue such credentials but they can be as simple as a business card. For this, you could go to a local publication or media outlet and get them to credential you as a contributer to their publication. I used to encounter this when I was working in cable, producing a local origination television program. When I would contact the organizers of an event or facility, I would often be told to send them a business card and/or a letter on company stationary.

Then, the organizers of an event, or the owners of a venue, say a race track, would consider your validity as a member of the working press and could offer you a Press Pass. This is different than media credentials or IDs and is more a special ticket that allows you access to certain areas that a regular attendee of an an event might not have. You would usually need some sort of press ID or credentials to apply for a "Press Pass" which might be limited to a specific venue, event, date show, race, game... I tried to get access to games and practices for an NFL team once. Mainly I was looking for the weekly media day press briefings, I think on Monday or Tuesday mornings etc. They wanted a letter on the company letterhead and a business card and would only give me access to practices and press briefings ONE DAY A WEEK on that day where they set asside time for media access and interviews. I was told that I could not get access to the stadium as that was A., handled through the stadium and B., there were limited spaces and with all the TV, Magazines, News Papers, Sports Illustrated, NFL Films... and others, there was no open spaces available. So, depending on the event and how much attention or demand there is for such credentials, you could find difficulty with competition for the few spaces available. Note that they will give them out on priorities etc. For example NFL Films and NBC Sports and Sports Illustrated will get number 1 priorities.

Then there are credentials that are given by law enforcement or other official sources for security reasons. For example, covering a briefing with the president will require you to have some serious credentials that would likely require professional credentials as well as security and background checks. Getting access to crime scenes or accidents might require credentials given out by local authorities that confirm you are working press. In general, anyone can go to a neighborhood house fire and take pictures. However, if there is a danger or traffic control problems, they do have the authority to tell you to move on. For public safety reasons. In many cases, anyone who doesn't have the official county or city credentials will be asked to move on. In any case, at a crime or accident scene, press credentials will not allow you past the established tape lines. As is the case with anyone, you must stay behind the lines. Only difference is that if they need to clear an area, Public goes first, Media might be tolerated if not too many. In some cases, I have heard local fire departments giving credentialed press special access after a scene is secured. I had a fire leutenent, once offer me such access. I wasn't credentialed but he knew me through his regular appearances and help with the local program that I produced. We did things for him for fire prevention programs etc.

As for the case of a race track, You could just pay for a ticket or entry and take your camera in and take pictures. In most cases, I doubt that they wouldn't allow you to take a camera in. Are you talking about Auto Racing, or Horses??? I guess it doesn't really matter but as a gate paying guest, you would be limited to only public areas. I have taken my camera into the local Horse Track with no difficulty. The only thing is that I am limited to the stands etc. Horses can be good fun as you can get to the Paddock or at the track I go, get good views of the winner circle and where they weigh the Jockey after the race etc. Also, the Finish Line is usually fairly visible, especially with a decent zoom lens and you can get down to the front fow along the rail and get good angles of the final turn. However, there are places where the average spectator won't have access.

Further, note that some events are often considered copyrighted and protected. MLB or NFL or NASCAR etc. might not allow free use of their materials or events. Use and distribution... of images and accounts of the game, or event..... without express written permission... and all that. This may be why you got the comment about an official track photographer. Perhaps that photographer has a contract that gives him the right to use and sell his photos for official press use etc. By allowing you, they might be infringing apon him and his rights. While you can probably take a camera in and take all the pictures that you want for your own use, you may not be able to sell your pictures, make posters out of them, publish them in books or sell for stock or ads etc.
    USAIR wrote:
    Been trying to get a press pass to some of the local race tracks here in town with no luck.
    Any suggestions ?
    Got close once but they finally told me they have a track photographer.
    And that was the end of thateek7.gif

Fred
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    How it happened at the track i went to a few weeks back.

Head official : (see's me standing near track) Thats a nice lookin' camera

Me : Yeah...thanks

Head official : How come the lens is white ? (said at the same time as scratching the landing gear)

Me : So they can charge me more for it i recon.

Head official : (stares straight at me not understanding what i said) You wanna take some photos or somethin' here ?

Me : That would be great

Head official : Well ..go & see shazza in that hut over there near that green landcruiser & sign on & get her to get you a safety vest.

Me : ok ..thanks a lot for that

Head official : ...and dont walk across the track during a race but..ok ?

Me : No worries...thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    wmas1960 wrote:
    There are a few things to note in relation to getting press credentials. There is a difference between a press identification that you would get from an employer or, as an independant photographer, could print yourself, and what you might need to get into an event or other crime or accident scene. Keep in mind that such documentation will not get you into venues or events at will. They are simply professional IDs or credentials that can identify you as a professional photographer or member of the media and explain any affiliations that you might have. I have yet to pursue such credentials but they can be as simple as a business card. For this, you could go to a local publication or media outlet and get them to credential you as a contributer to their publication. I used to encounter this when I was working in cable, producing a local origination television program. When I would contact the organizers of an event or facility, I would often be told to send them a business card and/or a letter on company stationary.

Then, the organizers of an event, or the owners of a venue, say a race track, would consider your validity as a member of the working press and could offer you a Press Pass. This is different than media credentials or IDs and is more a special ticket that allows you access to certain areas that a regular attendee of an an event might not have. You would usually need some sort of press ID or credentials to apply for a "Press Pass" which might be limited to a specific venue, event, date show, race, game... I tried to get access to games and practices for an NFL team once. Mainly I was looking for the weekly media day press briefings, I think on Monday or Tuesday mornings etc. They wanted a letter on the company letterhead and a business card and would only give me access to practices and press briefings ONE DAY A WEEK on that day where they set asside time for media access and interviews. I was told that I could not get access to the stadium as that was A., handled through the stadium and B., there were limited spaces and with all the TV, Magazines, News Papers, Sports Illustrated, NFL Films... and others, there was no open spaces available. So, depending on the event and how much attention or demand there is for such credentials, you could find difficulty with competition for the few spaces available. Note that they will give them out on priorities etc. For example NFL Films and NBC Sports and Sports Illustrated will get number 1 priorities.

Then there are credentials that are given by law enforcement or other official sources for security reasons. For example, covering a briefing with the president will require you to have some serious credentials that would likely require professional credentials as well as security and background checks. Getting access to crime scenes or accidents might require credentials given out by local authorities that confirm you are working press. In general, anyone can go to a neighborhood house fire and take pictures. However, if there is a danger or traffic control problems, they do have the authority to tell you to move on. For public safety reasons. In many cases, anyone who doesn't have the official county or city credentials will be asked to move on. In any case, at a crime or accident scene, press credentials will not allow you past the established tape lines. As is the case with anyone, you must stay behind the lines. Only difference is that if they need to clear an area, Public goes first, Media might be tolerated if not too many. In some cases, I have heard local fire departments giving credentialed press special access after a scene is secured. I had a fire leutenent, once offer me such access. I wasn't credentialed but he knew me through his regular appearances and help with the local program that I produced. We did things for him for fire prevention programs etc.

As for the case of a race track, You could just pay for a ticket or entry and take your camera in and take pictures. In most cases, I doubt that they wouldn't allow you to take a camera in. Are you talking about Auto Racing, or Horses??? I guess it doesn't really matter but as a gate paying guest, you would be limited to only public areas. I have taken my camera into the local Horse Track with no difficulty. The only thing is that I am limited to the stands etc. Horses can be good fun as you can get to the Paddock or at the track I go, get good views of the winner circle and where they weigh the Jockey after the race etc. Also, the Finish Line is usually fairly visible, especially with a decent zoom lens and you can get down to the front fow along the rail and get good angles of the final turn. However, there are places where the average spectator won't have access.

Further, note that some events are often considered copyrighted and protected. MLB or NFL or NASCAR etc. might not allow free use of their materials or events. Use and distribution... of images and accounts of the game, or event..... without express written permission... and all that. This may be why you got the comment about an official track photographer. Perhaps that photographer has a contract that gives him the right to use and sell his photos for official press use etc. By allowing you, they might be infringing apon him and his rights. While you can probably take a camera in and take all the pictures that you want for your own use, you may not be able to sell your pictures, make posters out of them, publish them in books or sell for stock or ads etc.

Thank you for the good info.
    The track I am tring to get into is drag racing.
    And I will give them a call Monday and explain this to them...I sure hope I can take my camera it makes photography much easier :D
    But I do understand you point it is "private property" so they can stop me from shooting.
    But I do see lots of race photos in the Sports forum so if they can get in then there might be a chance for me also...I hope

Thanks again
    Fred
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    gus wrote:
    How it happened at the track i went to a few weeks back.

Head official : (see's me standing near track) Thats a nice lookin' camera

Me : Yeah...thanks

Head official : How come the lens is white ? (said at the same time as scratching the landing gear)

Me : So they can charge me more for it i recon.

Head official : (stares straight at me not understanding what i said) You wanna take some photos or somethin' here ?

Me : That would be great

Head official : Well ..go & see shazza in that hut over there near that green landcruiser & sign on & get her to get you a safety vest.

Me : ok ..thanks a lot for that

Head official : ...and dont walk across the track during a race but..ok ?

Me : No worries...thanks.
    Something very similar happened to me also at the boat races
    As long as I kept the big white lens on my 20D I could go any where I wanted.
    At one point I was talking to a photog I met he had a 100-400 L on a 1D MarkII and I had the 70-200 on my 20D.
    The police moved the entire crowed out of this area and we were the only two people left.
    And we were able to move around without any problems.
    So maybe I will just whip out the big white lens and just walk through the gate.:D

Fred
  • Options
    wmas1960wmas1960 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2006
    Not familiar with Drag Racing so I don't know. It could be like a lot of sports where they want the participants to buy photos of races from their photographer and such. Like in the horse racing that I have seen where, at say Arlington Park, and I assume others as well, they have an official track photographer. Photos are taken of the race, around the paddock and at the winners circle... There is an office at the track where people, I assume the horse owners etc., can go and get copies of the official track pictures. I assume they make good money off that.

There may be situations of some space available for Media. There is a lot of media devoted to motor sports. I don't recall your original post. Were you interested in just pictures for yourself or for media publication. If media publication, I would start by going to a local paper or other publication and enquire if they can assist you. In exchange for you giving them access to your pictures. Then, contact the Media or Public Relations office or representitive at the track. Tell them more specifically what you have in mind and have the resources or credentials avaliable to show them.

If you are just taking pictures for your own hobby and enjoyment, they probably won't let you have more access. Liability and such. In fact, it could be that, to get press credentials, you might need to show them some proof of insurance so they know that you are covered if you get hurt etc. A lot of areas, I would imagine, could be dangerous and they don't want just anyone scamming their way into a danger area. If you are content with public areas and such, I don't see why you would need to go through much. Do you have friends who race? Go along with them and tag along for in the areas where they have access. Or, just pay the gate and take your equipment in. Try to keep it simple though to avoid to much scruitiny or attention. I doubt they would stop you from taking pictures if they were for your own use and enjoyment. Keep in mind that, in those circumstances, you would be confined to the regular public areas.
    USAIR wrote:
    Thank you for the good info.
    The track I am tring to get into is drag racing.
    And I will give them a call Monday and explain this to them...I sure hope I can take my camera it makes photography much easier :D
    But I do understand you point it is "private property" so they can stop me from shooting.
    But I do see lots of race photos in the Sports forum so if they can get in then there might be a chance for me also...I hope

Thanks again
    Fred
  • Options
    gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2006
    im fairly sure he was joking (hince the smiley)
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    I still say find a small publication..... It really is the best way to go.

For example. Whenever, I have gone to an event with a press pass, not only did I get in free mwink.gif, I truly got unlimited access to whatever I wanted (could go anywhere as long as it wasn't gonna kill me), plus you get real VIP treatment because you being their is going to help promote their future events. Hell, they've even given me the keys to other peoples vehicles to race in before, just cause they thought I would enjoy it.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006

If I had to do it over again I would never trade free photos for access again. My back has never been rubbed back in return.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    If I had to do it over again I would never trade free photos for access again. My back has never been rubbed back in return.
    thumb.gif Me also...i did it once only to have the door slammed. Someone wants one of my shots...they pay.
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    What kind of access do you need for Drag Racing? There isn't much to gain access to. A pit pass gets you up close and personal with the racers. The strip you can see easily and you can walk up to the fence, get pretty close, and walk up and down the whole 1/4 mile.

If you are needing something more, I would go up and down vendors row and try and buddy up with one of them by 1st, taking some photo's of whom they sponsor and show them to the vendor. Let him know that you "NEED" to get some track access to get even better photo's than what you have, etc. etc. Tell him you'll wear his companies shirt/hat or whatever also while you are out there. I think this would work. Just schmoooooooze your way in.

I was lucky enough to have a friend in the mx business that got me in the infield of Loretta Lynn's. I "only" have a 70-200 and shooting from the fence was hard to get some area's of the track. Thankfully, he gave me his infield pass for a couple hours and got some nice access and photo's.

Good Luck.