Options

Comments please

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited November 22, 2004 in Wildlife
I really love B&W but am still very new to extracting the best B&W from a color photo. With this one the sky was originally pretty well blown out, so I blended, a light and dark version to get as much as I could out of it. To me this kinda looks like one of those 1950 western movie sets where ths background was painted. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Sam

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    I really love B&W but am still very new to extracting the best B&W from a color photo. With this one the sky was originally pretty well blown out, so I blended, a light and dark version to get as much as I could out of it. To me this kinda looks like one of those 1950 western movie sets where ths background was painted. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Sam
    I like it a lot... very crisp and yes it looks like an old cowboy movie shot... great old wagon..:D
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Sam wrote:

Thanks,

Sam

I agree, It has a very western feel to it. There is some detail missing from the sky, but it does not bother me. you have a great tonal range in the rest of the image and the detail in the wagon is excelent. I like the composition a lot. this is a wall hanger for sure in my opinion.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Nothing wrong with that picture Sam. Everything works.
    The wagon looks ready to roll on. Mountains are there, you'd expect indians on horses any minute...
    John Wayne is in his coffee break and therefore not in the scene
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    A beauty Sam!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Sam wrote:

Thanks,

Sam

Beautiful Sam! I think you've done a great job getting high contrast on the wagon. The textures of the wood and the tumble weeds against the smooth velvety hills are great. There is so much to look at in this picture. Great job.
    clap.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your comments. It seems far easier to look at something done by another person. I know if I like it or not. Much harder for my own stuff.

Also at work we have a few photography folks, and we bring in new photos for comments, and others chime in as well.

Since y'all been so nice, I have some supper left over from the "In your House" challange, and y'all are welcom to partake of same.

Thanks again,

Sam
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Nice one Sam. I like it alot. The conversion looks great.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Nice shot of the back lot in Hollywood, Sam.

Just kidding. It does look quite the antique all over. The blk and white looks fine to me, I am not a connoiseur (sp), I just do it, sometimes, see if I like it, if I do, I might use it.

I do like yours, very good, I think. You captured the tumbling tumbleweeds and all..............I remember them well, from my young life outside of Denver and from the old TV westerns when I was even younger.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Wagon
    A great shot.

One which shows how much B&W can bring an image to the viewer's full attention.

Regards, Nicholas
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2004
    This is ready to be hung and sold! Beee-u-tee-ful! :D
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 22, 2004
    This is a nice shot. The detail in the wagon is great. The small bush and the
    sky really add to the composition. The detail in the wagon helps draw your
    eye into it. Where as the sky's lack of detail really makes the wagon stand
    out (did I say that right?).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?