Options

Feature request: "Timeline"

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited November 23, 2004 in SmugMug Support
OK, thi si a big one. I know. But I can't help it - I do NEED it.
I already bitched about inflexibility of just two category levels and impossibility to "share" the same image between two or more albums.
However, my biggest problem lies right here: I need a way to specify and present timeline of my albums.
The idea goes way back when I realized that I have more than a hundred pictures to store locally and to share on the 'net. That was way back when there was no fancy-pants photoalbums software packages avaialbe. So, my solution was quite simple: TIMELINE. Later I heard and read that many other photographers, including some quite prominent one, resorted to the same or similar method.

I simply created a directory structure like follows:
On the first level there are only years

Within each YEAR there is - you already guessed, right?;-) - upto 12 month folders named like that:
2002-01
2002-02
2002-03
2002-04
2002-05
2002-06
2002-08
2002-09
2002-10
2002-11
2002-12

Where is 2002-07, you ask? well, it looks like there was no picture taken during this month.

What's next? Well, I definitely can entartain the idea that it's also feasible to have day-level folders (e.g. 2002\2002-03\2002-03-01). And for somebody who takes hundreds of shots almost every day (hello, Andy:-) that might be a very usuable level. For me, however, it was too much.

What's next? It's all easy from here. Every album of mine resided at some level of this time line. It was usually pretty easy to find them.

But what does it all have to do with SMUGMUG? Well, that's waht I'm asking for:
Introduce a concept of TIMELINE, let user define what level he or she needs (including none) and let every album be a part of this timeline - or let it be "timeless".

OK, here how I see it from the purely boring semi-technical perspective:

In user's account settings there will be a Timeline group of options looking like this:
11719720-L.jpg

Now the second part - we would need to add a matching set of settings for album/gallery properties:
11720030-L.jpg

Finally, we would need to provide a "Timeline" view in the style combo, which would effectively replace categories with years, subcategories with months, and, if we make it possible, add one more level for days - provided, of course user has chosen to participate in the Timeline up to certain level at all.

Note, that some albums may reside only at,say, year level or be purely timeless, in which case they should all be either shown in their normal category/subcategory hierarchy, or, what it's like to see first fall funder the "Timeless" root and shen show their eternal faces.

Thank you VERY much if you're still reading!

Now - tell me, what do you think? Please?
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2004
    Sounds like a great idea. On my home pc I often find myself just browsing through thumbnails of a specific time period instead of using the categories I applied to pictures.
    Maybe I'm more a visual guy, wanting to look at the actual pictures instead of browsing through categories.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero