Meeting up with Gubbs (IMGs)

lubenluben Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited December 6, 2004 in Landscapes
Hi All,

Last night I had the great pleasure of meeting for the first time (& shooting with) Jon (aka Gubbs).

The meeting almost never happened, because of the only an hour or two before we were due to meet, it was still raining lightly. Still the heavens did relent & I met Jon at a empty car park. To passers by we might as well have looked like a couple of criminals :-)

Jon said, that since we are shooting night photography, I should choose the subject. While I appreciated this vote of confidence in my low-light-photography, it also posed me with a dilemma - I'd never really researched locations in Reading. Still I did manage to remember one good location, which I saw driving by one evening. It was the relatively new headquarters of Thames Water - UK's biggest Water Utility company:

original.jpg

The photo above was 152 seconds @ f16 using my 20D and 17-40 f4L at the 17mm end. The slow shutter speed completely smoothed out the already relatively still river Thames. I turned the WB temperature right down to about 2000-2500 K to get the cool look to the surroundings. All I did in PS was to sharpen it for web output. Considering the length of exposure, the image is amazingly smooth!!!

original.jpg

The image below shows the building with a little more context. I used a slightly higher WB value to make it look more natural. The white blur in the foreground are two swans hoping for some food. I'm very impressed that they appeared in the photo at all, considering the 1 minute exposure.

Finally, here is a shot of a house situated on an island in the river. I tried to use the "foreground interest, background interest" & "rule of thirds" methods to make something out of what would have otherwise been a dull image:

original.jpg

The more eagle eyed of you will see the swans again & a slight trail in the river. This trail is a whole truckload of Canadian Geese making their way up the river. Unfortunately they were really motoring & thus they didn't leave much of an imprint on the 215 second exposure.

Overall the evening was a learning experience in using my less than a week old 20D. As Jon will attest, I had problems putting the camera in BULB (what an idiot), then my battery ran out (Jon was kind enough to lend me one of his) and then for some unexplained reason the remote control stopped firing for about 5 minutes.

Also we didn't get that much time to chat with Jon & we deffinitely didn't get around going for some food (as Mr Williams commands :-)

I did have a great time though & am already looking forward to our next photographic excursion with Jon. Hopefully the weather will be kinder to us next time.

All the best

Luben
>>>> Luben - www.solev.net <<<<

Comments

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Wow Luben, I've a lot to learn, beautifu!!l
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    rain in england? what a shocker
    luben,

great post! this is the reason i was hoping that you would become a member of our community here - you present fine photography, a cool story, and you share your expertise freely as well. a lovely set of shots, gee what a surprise on the long exposures eh? from reading the panic at another forum elsewhere, one might think that the 20d, if placed on bulb for 3 minutes, one would get flying pink monkeys every other pixel! no matter - photographers like you know that the equipment is only part of the equation - you composed so very well, made the best of the scene, and then in post, you produced a fine finished result. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

i give you and gubbsy two demerits for not even having a "small smackerel" of something (as the u.k.'s most famous bear would say) in the form of late night sustenance. looks like i'm going to have to come across the pond again soon and teach you and gubbs the importance of food for the photographer. :whip lol3.gif

thanks for sharing,
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Beautiful shots Luben! and I enjoyed the narrative!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • mgoundmgound Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Posts such as these are the reason I love this forum. Quite inspiring. Thanks
    Land on your right foot. Don't forget it!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Beautiful! Do you think it would have made any difference if you'd changed the color temp of the RAW file in Photoshop instead?

original.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Beautiful! Do you think it would have made any difference if you'd changed the color temp of the RAW file in Photoshop instead?

original.jpg

Good question... I am a firm believer though in no post or at least not mre then hugely required. I would like to believe that it never can be done in PS like it is done in the real...
    Great shots Gubbs and Luben. Wished I could team up with photographers like you guys... Sigh, great, great shots
    edited November 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Sid,
    I saw this one on his LCD, I might be wrong but I think he did change the wb in post. The sky had an orangey glow from Reading Centre. I'm sure Luben will confirm....
  • lubenluben Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i give you and gubbsy two demerits for not even having a "small smackerel" of something (as the u.k.'s most famous bear would say) in the form of late night sustenance. looks like i'm going to have to come across the pond again soon and teach you and gubbs the importance of food for the photographer. :whip lol3.gif

thanks for sharing,
    Jon and I would love you to get yourself over the pond & give us the spanking that we deserve. The group photo outing will be worth the pain :-)

l8r m8

Luben
    edited November 21, 2004
    Thanks a lot Nir (nt)
    Nir wrote:
    Beautiful shots Luben! and I enjoyed the narrative!
    Thanks a lot Nir (nt)
    edited November 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hi Sid,

I did shoot in RAW & then changed the WB from 3500K to about 2250K. This turned the orange sky (ugly IMHO) to a nicer tint.

All the best

Luben
    edited November 21, 2004
    luben wrote:
    Jon and I would love you to get yourself over the pond & give us the spanking that we deserve. The group photo outing will be worth the pain :-)

l8r m8

Luben
    Be careful what you ask for! I hear he has a paddle eek7.gif
    edited November 21, 2004
    Luben, I meant to ask, how were you calculating out your exposure times in bulb?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 21, 2004
    luben wrote:
    Hi All,

Last night I had the great pleasure of meeting for the first time (& shooting with) Jon (aka Gubbs).

Jon said, that since we are shooting night photography, I should choose the subject. While I appreciated this vote of confidence in my low-light-photography, it also posed me with a dilemma - I'd never really researched locations in Reading. Still I did manage to remember one good location, which I saw driving by one evening. It was the relatively new headquarters of Thames Water - UK's biggest Water Utility company:

original.jpg

The photo above was 152 seconds @ f16 using my 20D and 17-40 f4L at the 17mm end. The slow shutter speed completely smoothed out the already relatively still river Thames. I turned the WB temperature right down to about 2000-2500 K to get the cool look to the surroundings. All I did in PS was to sharpen it for web output. Considering the length of exposure, the image is amazingly smooth!!!

original.jpg

The image below shows the building with a little more context. I used a slightly higher WB value to make it look more natural. The white blur in the foreground are two swans hoping for some food. I'm very impressed that they appeared in the photo at all, considering the 1 minute exposure.

Finally, here is a shot of a house situated on an island in the river. I tried to use the "foreground interest, background interest" & "rule of thirds" methods to make something out of what would have otherwise been a dull image:

original.jpg

The more eagle eyed of you will see the swans again & a slight trail in the river. This trail is a whole truckload of Canadian Geese making their way up the river. Unfortunately they were really motoring & thus they didn't leave much of an imprint on the 215 second exposure.

Overall the evening was a learning experience in using my less than a week old 20D. As Jon will attest, I had problems putting the camera in BULB (what an idiot), then my battery ran out (Jon was kind enough to lend me one of his) and then for some unexplained reason the remote control stopped firing for about 5 minutes.

Also we didn't get that much time to chat with Jon & we deffinitely didn't get around going for some food (as Mr Williams commands :-)

I did have a great time though & am already looking forward to our next photographic excursion with Jon. Hopefully the weather will be kinder to us next time.

All the best

Luben

Luben - Very lovely night shots - I have two questions about your technique that evening. What ISO were you using? - you did not state that information. And I have to say that I am impressed by the absense of color noise in your images with exposures lasting well over one or two minutes.
    You did not mention the use of Noise Ninja or any software to process for noise ts I am assuming you did not use noise software proscessing.
    I have had significant noise in my images after exposure of 30 seconds or longer particularly in the shadows, and am curious to what to attribute the difference. I would be interested in your discussion in this regard. Thank you.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 22, 2004
    Wow! All three are very nice looking though I am attached to number
    3--I see what looks like a swan ghosted. Very subtle.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited November 22, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Luben - Very lovely night shots - I have two questions about your technique that evening. What ISO were you using? - you did not state that information. And I have to say that I am impressed by the absense of color noise in your images with exposures lasting well over one or two minutes.
    You did not mention the use of Noise Ninja or any software to process for noise ts I am assuming you did not use noise software proscessing.
    I have had significant noise in my images after exposure of 30 seconds or longer particularly in the shadows, and am curious to what to attribute the difference. I would be interested in your discussion in this regard. Thank you.
    Hi Pathfinder,

The shots were taken at ISO 100 & none of them were noise reduced in software. I didn't even use the available in-camera dark frame subtraction NR feature. The reason for the low noise is simple - I was shooting with a Canon EOS-20D. The Canon CMOS technology is renouned as being the smoothest of all current sensors on the market. I need to get some 100% crops posted. That will really blow you away!!!

Have a good day

Luben
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 23, 2004
    Outstanding Luben thumb.gif

I've got to try some of night shots with this new camera. I was a little disappointed that there were no pink monkeys in any of your shots ne_nau.gif Now that would definitely be Kodak POTD material rolleyes1.gif

Very fine work and as Andy wrote, it sure is nice having you and your expertise here clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Great pics Luben, and thanks for the in depth review of how you got them.

I guess I'm going to have to try shooting in raw sometime.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2004
    Hey Luben!
    luben wrote:
    original.jpg
    Luben, in all honesty, that photo will not do! mwink.gif Seriously I can't quite figure out how you 'saw' that shot before making it bowdown.gif The composition is awesome and the colour is ylsuper.gif
    Good to see you here my friend!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2004
    luben wrote:
    Hi Sid,

I did shoot in RAW & then changed the WB from 3500K to about 2250K. This turned the orange sky (ugly IMHO) to a nicer tint.

All the best

Luben
    thumb.gif Thanks Luben. thumb.gif Funny how things come together - this week I saw an article in a magazine talking about playing with white balance for effect. It's fun fiddling with shots.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    lovely work-thanks
    luben
    what can i say but thank you for sharing your methods in taking these lovely images.you have me salivating for a 20D so that I can try some bulb exposures at night.

greg
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.