Options

So. Cal Beach Shooters

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
This may have already been posted, but i figured why not...

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1216096.php

:cry

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    That sucks.

Alot of places in michigan are like that too but there are ways around.

Student I.D. for one, after all your a student not a pro.

This weekend I was shooting on Belle Isle and a permit is required to shoot anywhere on the island. Luckily the very nice police officer that was dispatched said he wasn't going to hassle me about it, and he added that he had told the other officers in the area not to either. And he just asked that we not make it an all day thing and just get our shots and get out.

He was very cool about it, and we did just that seeing as we didn't plan on being there that much longer anyways.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 15, 2006
    As the article's closing paragraph states; "they've done it to themsleves"

It's the behavior of the photographers not the photography that has caused this. Much like papparazzi in Hollywood. It's dispicable!!!

What I don't agree with is the arbitrary deliniation between pro and amateur.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    Sad story...
    LiquidOps wrote:
    This may have already been posted, but i figured why not...
    http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1216096.php
    :cry
    Steven

But thanks for the info, Steven!
    First they copyright buildings. Second, they harass you if you shoot candids in cities. Now, beaches are joining the crowds. Soon you'll go to some remote area in Sierras only to see "Save The Wildlife, Take No Photos" banner...rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    i think you should just try to look like a tourist and they shouldnt fine you. ;p

but yeah, i can understand why they did this. imagine being with your friends at the beach and ports and seeing a bunch of photographers everywhere. it can ruin the view you've been meaning to get to.

i think the $150 fine is excessive though. if anything, they should limit the hours for photographers to shoot. maybe only during certain hours in the day and not during sunset where people may want to enjoy their sunset without seeing a bunch of photogs with backpacks and tripods on the ground.

but if all else fails, yea get a student id and keep shooting. just dont bring your biggest tripod and other equipment that can mark you as a pro. ;)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2006
    So, basically
    mr peas wrote:
    ibut if all else fails, yea get a student id and keep shooting. just dont bring your biggest tripod and other equipment that can mark you as a pro. ;)

The suggestion is to commit an ID forgery and then leave at home all those preciou$$$$$ toys we love (and actually need) so much, and shoot the pre-dawn and post-sunset with a p&s w/o a tripod, holding it on a streched out arms, so by any means we don't look like we know what we're doing rolleyes1.gif

Sad, very sad..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Well that sucks. I've shot there myself on a number of occasions & haven't seen all that many other photographers. Of course I try to get there at o-dark-thirty to catch the early light when there's about two other people & their dogs on the beach, and the occasional sunset. It is a tiny beach, so too many people can crowd it very quickly & lack of courtesy just gets me on one of my favorite soapboxes.

So I guess my take on it is thanks guys for ruining it for those of use who try to be courteous. This is just the other side of the coin that we all keep bitching about on photo fora regarding overzealous security.
  • Options
    Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2006
    Im not saying Im for the permits and stuff but I was down there about two months ago and there there three shoots going on. Two engagement shoots and one swimsuit shoot. The place is tiny! It would be hard to keep out of each others way let alone the people hanging out at the beach in the first place.

Same thing in Laguna Beach. lots of engagement and wedding shoots going on over the weekend.

whatever. I had my shots taken there too!

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    FastScan wrote:
    Im not saying Im for the permits and stuff but I was down there about two months ago and there there three shoots going on. Two engagement shoots and one swimsuit shoot. The place is tiny! It would be hard to keep out of each others way let alone the people hanging out at the beach in the first place.

Same thing in Laguna Beach. lots of engagement and wedding shoots going on over the weekend.

whatever. I had my shots taken there too!

I suspect part of Laguna is the hotel right there that does weddings. My siste had hers there & we all went down to the beach for some shots--good location & we even roped some passersby into the shots (they were walking their Rhodesian Ridgebacks which we used to have & still miss).