Options

SATA from PC to MacPro HELP?!

PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
edited August 22, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
The Mac Pro came in today, YEAH!

Here is my problem, and I am hoping the Macintosh PROS here on the board can help me. I moved one of my SATA HD's out of my PC, no OS on it, just data. (Pictures, go figure) The Mac recognizes the drive, and I can see all my photos, BUT I can't move files to the folder, make new folders on the drive, or CHANGE anything and save it to the new HD.

This drive worked fine with the G5, but I had it in the PC and just used a network connection to access and change files. I have another 250GB SATA drive that is still in my PC, I wan't to move that over too, but I better get this resolved first.

Thanks for all the Mac help guys and gals, you have been great!
Mike LaPorte
Perfect Pix

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Try get info on the drive, then choose "Ignore Ownership on this Volume".
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    Under ownership it says "I can only read" no option to change it that I can see....
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Is the drive formatted NTFS? It's my (possibly incorrect :): ) understanding that Macs can read NTFS but not write to it.

If that's the case, then you'll probably have to suck everything off of it, reformat with the Mac, and copy everything back...
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Yes it is formatted NTFS.

Disk management will not allow me to erase it though.... I am moving all my files from this drive to my Mac HD now.... It will take another hour or so, I check back then, before I do anything DRASTIC.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    I found this:

This might be something that all the experts here know about already, but I was stumped by it initially, and was happy to figure out a solution. I had an NTSF-formatted Windows XP hard drive in a PC box, and I was too lazy to plug in a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Instead, I pulled the hard drive out of the PC and plunked it into a USB2 enclosure, which I then plugged in to my Mac. I could read the disc, but when I went to Disc Utility to wipe it and reformat it, the option was greyed out.

After some futile searching, I was ready to boot up off of an OS X install disc (as one hint had suggested), but then figured I'd try one more thing -- I ejected the volume, and then, voila, I could format it as an unmounted volume. Easy!

I can now donate the PC to a youth artist group, knowing that the person who gave me the PC in the first place won't have all their data out there in the mean old world. I did a 'write 8 times format' in order to clear the drive. I point this out just in case anyone else decides to do this and accidentally puts a chunk of their personal data out into the world.

on another site.... Sounds like it will work, once I get all my data off the thing!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    ^^^^

That worked to perfection! Thanks for steering me in the right direction.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix