Options

Getting Across Can/US Border?

craftcraft Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
Hi!

Just curious if any DGrinners out there have traveled from Canada to the States (or vice versa) with your gear over the last week or two since the security alert has been on. I'll be traveling by car from Vancvouer into Washington State and was just curious what to expect. Any anecdotal stories will be great!

P.S.
I have all my papers for my equipment so customs shouldn't be an issue.
http://craft.smugmug.com
Thousands of Nature & Wildlife Images Online

Comments

• Options
    morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    craft wrote:
    Hi!

Just curious if any DGrinners out there have traveled from Canada to the States (or vice versa) with your gear over the last week or two since the security alert has been on. I'll be traveling by car from Vancvouer into Washington State and was just curious what to expect. Any anecdotal stories will be great!

P.S.
    I have all my papers for my equipment so customs shouldn't be an issue.

in order to get into canada we (US) need a passport, I don't know if that rings true to you as well.
    Bob.
  • Options
    aporiaaporia Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Just flew from California and then drove across the Niagara Falls border by car the day before the London security alert, so I don't know if there are any special concerns since then. Curent papers, passport, and honest answers to questions should facilitate the process but there may be some extra security precautions for a while. Others may have more recent border-crossing experience.

Let us know how it goes.
    Tom in Niagara (CAN/US)
    Real Body Integrated Arts
    GMT -5
  • Options
    XtopherousXtopherous Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    in order to get into canada we (US) need a passport, I don't know if that rings true to you as well.
    Bob.
    Where are you crossing that you need a passport?

I went to college in Buffalo (graduated May '05, go Bulls!), so I had the opportunity to cross the border on more than a few occasions. I never had my passport (I never actually owned a passport until a few weeks ago, actually) and they always let me cross.
  • Options
    BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    As a Canadian citizen I think currently all you need is a license or similar document to enter the US (I know that's what I used last year.) I would assume it's the same for a US citizen returning to the US.

Unless things change, come the first week of January 2007, everybody will need a passport to (re)enter the US. I don't think Canada will have that requirement, but it doesn't really matter - if the US has that requirement then you'll need a passport anyways.

If you're taking camera equipment, I would take photocopies of purchase receipts or get some sort of documentation on the way out - not a security issue, but if the equipment is new looking you might get hit for import duties on the way back in if you can't prove you didn't buy it in the US.

Edit - Doh! Ignore my last paragraph, I see you've taken customs into account.
  • Options
    XtopherousXtopherous Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    BrettG wrote:
    Unless things change, come the first week of January 2007, everybody will need a passport to (re)enter the US. I don't think Canada will have that requirement, but it doesn't really matter - if the US has that requirement then you'll need a passport anyways.
    My SO's father is the owner of the Niagara Falls HoJos, so he has a lot of insider information and is friends with many of the business people around the Falls area. He told me this whole "must have a passport" thing isn't looking so hot for the Canadian side and that they're pissed. I would be too if most of my profits were taken right from under me. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) bill which is very slowly making its way through Washington was supposed to come into effect January 2008, however, in May the senate delayed that date until June 2009.

According to the department of state, all you need to enter Canada right now is proof of citizenship (birth cert) and (maybe) photo ID. Fortunately for me, the border guards saw that we were local students, so he let us cross. Ok, so I got yelled at once for only having a driver's license, but he still let us go. ;)
  • Options
    fraincsfraincs Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    we are actually pissed! lol. and trying to get a way not to have to own a passport to cross the border, its under discussion.