Options

Advice on a Fujifilm S3 Pro

WanderlustWanderlust Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited August 26, 2006 in Cameras
Hi.

I've been hunting for a good SLR digital camera and based on reviews I've come across I'm zeroing in on a Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro. Tamron and Sigma both have digital SLR specific lenses that get good reviews and are in my price range. Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM, Sigma 18-200 mm F 3.5-6.3 DC, Tamron AF 17-50mm F2.8xR DI II LD, Tamron AF 18-200 mm F 3.5-6.3xR DI II LD, Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F 4.5-5.6 DI II LD Aspherical (IF), Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC. These are the lenses I'm thinking about picking a couple from. Any suggestions?

I'm going to be in central Africa for a couple months soon. The DRC and Uganda specifically. So there will be a large range of demands for pictures. Rainy, jungle cover, close up in dim huts, in the cities or on the bright plains and lakes. If anyone has a better idea for a more "rugged duty" setup in the same price range, or knows of issues with these please let me know.

Can someone also explain to me the difference between the magnification ratio and zoom ratio? For example the Sigma 18-200mm lense mentioned above has a zoom ratio of 11:1 and a maximum magnification of 1:4.4. Is it just about focus length ratio versus image size ratio?

Thanks a bunch. I love the good info to be found on this site.
:rambo "An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will eat him last." Churchill ... WWII

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited August 24, 2006
    Wanderlust wrote:

Can someone also explain to me the difference between the magnification ratio and zoom ratio? For example the Sigma 18-200mm lense mentioned above has a zoom ratio of 11:1 and a maximum magnification of 1:4.4. Is it just about focus length ratio versus image size ratio?

The zoom ratio is simply dividing the longest focal length by the shortest focal length, 200/18=11. The magnification is a macro term, or in this case a close focus measurement. 1:4.4 means that the image captured will measure 1/4.4 life size, and I believe it is being used as a 35mm FF equivalent.

The S3 Pro is an interesting camera for capturing subtle tones in high dynamic range situations, but other than that, I'm not sure it's a great value.

If you are looking to buy a brand new camera system, I suggest staying with a more mainstream line of camera.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    The only thing I can help with is the Sigma 10-20mm which I now have (Nikon mount though) and it seems well made. I haven't had a chance to use it properly yet though umph.gif so I can't comment on its optical quality first-hand but all the reviews I read prior to buying it didn't like the Tamron 11-18 and liked either the Sigma or the Tokina 12-24. Slightly more seemed to like the Tokina but I went with the Sigma as its wider :D
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into the Tokina line as well.

Ziggy. Can you suggest a mainstream camera with the same resolution (12.3 mega pixel) and a good track record. The fujifilm camera uses common Nikon f mount lenses so there is a good range of lenses. I looked at the Canon 5D system but it costs over three times as much. The Canon lenses with similar light transmission charateristics and functions (except that they have image stabilization) also seem to be significantly more money.

I'm a little worried about getting a camera with a plastic encapsulated electronic package versus a ceramic one but these details seem somewhat dificult to obtain for every camera. In the case of the plastic ones I've seen some studies while web surfing that indicate they regularily fail after a few years especially if used where it is humid.

Opinions welcome.
    :rambo "An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will eat him last." Churchill ... WWII
  • Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    The S3 Pro is just a 6 mp camera, it has 12 mp of photosites which helps it have a larger dynamic range, but as far as resolution goes, it is just 6 MP. At least that is how I understand that it works.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Options
    ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Wanderlust wrote:
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into the Tokina line as well.

Ziggy. Can you suggest a mainstream camera with the same resolution (12.3 mega pixel) and a good track record. The fujifilm camera uses common Nikon f mount lenses so there is a good range of lenses. I looked at the Canon 5D system but it costs over three times as much. The Canon lenses with similar light transmission charateristics and functions (except that they have image stabilization) also seem to be significantly more money.

I'm a little worried about getting a camera with a plastic encapsulated electronic package versus a ceramic one but these details seem somewhat dificult to obtain for every camera. In the case of the plastic ones I've seen some studies while web surfing that indicate they regularily fail after a few years especially if used where it is humid.

Opinions welcome.

There are a lot of instances where the Fuji S3 main board goes belly up and owners have to send in the camera in for service, sometimes out of warranty. The Fuji S3 is fantastic at dynamic range, but is is slow as molassas going uphill in a Yukon winter mwink.gif A lot of studio photographers like them and some wedding photogs too (just to handle the white gowns) but it's slow to write to the card. The new D80 is coming out 10MP (native), Canon just announced its 10MP (native) 400D, and there is a Sony A100 (would not recommend that one) If you are planning on taking pictures of critters out in the wild, you will need a fairly fast camera, nothing would be worse than having that "moment" and you are waiting on the camera to complete the last write. Of course I would just recommend the Nikon D200 (the one that I use) but that's me. thumb.gif I am not sure if you realize just how big of an image comes from a 10MP camera. Take the pixel width like (2500 divide by 300 and that is the number of inches the native image can be printed (8.33 inches in this case).
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    I did not realize that about the S3. Nothing I had read suggested it was anything other than a 12.3 mega pixel image. Thats the way the advertizing struck me. Thanks for the info.

I have a little Sony 7.2 MP Cybershot DSC-P200 that I just love to keep in my pocket. I've replaced it twice in the last two years. Once I dropped it in the drink and once it was stolen. I've taken over 15,000 pictures without incident with this format, and it has taken some abuse to be sure, but it suffers badly in low light or where flash is not allowed. This the main reason I wan't a system that will give faster shutter speeds and has a chip with higher sensitivity and low noise. That and I'd like the wider range of photo options afforded by the better lense systems.

So I think the Fujifilm S3 is out now. Slow write time doesn't bother me to much. The words "main board goes belly up" and the whole 6 mp thing does. I did like the high image quality and sensitive chip / fast shutter times possible.

The Canon 400D sounds cool but I imagine it will be priced way in the sky. I only have $2000 to spend on this system for this year. There is so much contradiction in reviews for different systems I think I'll just have to pick one and see for myself.
  • Options
    Cliff PhotoCliff Photo Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Wanderlust wrote:
    I did not realize that about the S3. Nothing I had read suggested it was anything other than a 12.3 mega pixel image. Thats the way the advertizing struck me. Thanks for the info.

I have a little Sony 7.2 MP Cybershot DSC-P200 that I just love to keep in my pocket. I've replaced it twice in the last two years. Once I dropped it in the drink and once it was stolen. I've taken over 15,000 pictures without incident with this format, and it has taken some abuse to be sure, but it suffers badly in low light or where flash is not allowed. This the main reason I wan't a system that will give faster shutter speeds and has a chip with higher sensitivity and low noise. That and I'd like the wider range of photo options afforded by the better lense systems.

So I think the Fujifilm S3 is out now. Slow write time doesn't bother me to much. The words "main board goes belly up" and the whole 6 mp thing does. I did like the high image quality and sensitive chip / fast shutter times possible.

The Canon 400D sounds cool but I imagine it will be priced way in the sky. I only have $2000 to spend on this system for this year. There is so much contradiction in reviews for different systems I think I'll just have to pick one and see for myself.

the D80 and the 400D are both under $1000

Nikon shooter: D200, Tokina 12-24, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 VR 2.8, 50 1.4 :click
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited August 25, 2006
    Wanderlust,

What do you want to accomplish in photography? What has held your interest? What is your future goal?

You need to decide what you want to do before you decide which tool can help you do it.

You lens choices are all over the map, from fixed focal length, to really nice constant aperture, to really middle-quality super zooms, yet you only allow 2 lens purchases.

Your upcoming trip sounds interesting, but is it representative of what you will do for the next 2 years? If not, do you need to build a system around it?

Personally, I still feel the Canon dRebel XT represents the best overall value for current cameras. 8MP imager of the same quality level of the other siblings (20D/30D) at normal ISO, and not bad to ISO 1600. Digic II processing, just like the best Canon offerings. E-TTL II just like the best from Canon. Very responsive.

The XT is a crop camera, but capable of accepting all of the significant best lenses Canon has to offer.

If I were to build a $2000 budget kit for travel, I would include (all in USD):

Canon dRebel XT body ~ $634.95 (using the PSAUG06 code at B&H)
    Canon 50mm, f1.8 ~ $75 (imported, B&H)
    Sigma 18-50mm, f2.8 EX DC ~ $360 (Sigma4Less)
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super E-TTL flash ~ $205 (Sigma4Less)

That still leaves around $700 for a long zoom. (But you're in Canada, so I'm not sure what is left in Canadian? Probably not as much.)

I think I would recommend the Canon 70-200mm, f4L for travel. Extremely high-quality, but compact enough to fit many standard cases. ~ $600 at B&H.

I think that basic kit will get you where you want to go, for close to your budget, maybe stretching a bit. Remember, you still need a few batteries and CF cards. You will also have one heck of a system for after your trip. thumb.gif

BTW, I think you could build a very similar system in Nikon. Maybe a Nikon shooter could chime in with specifics.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    Thanks for the advice. Here is an attachment that should give you an idea about my "holidays". I'll be in the DRC for this and the aftermath. As I said, human interest.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/08/20/congo.runoff.ap/index.html?section=cnn_topstories

What I wan't is a camera that stands some roughness and will provide a lot of detail of a wide scene. Compact with good zoom and good capabilities in a range of lighting conditions. High, sharp pixel count that will allow for additional digital zoom without terrible fuzz. As good a quality as will fit within my budget.

I want light and shadow so I can read an expression in a picture like I can see it in person. Equipment that will pick up slightly different colour tones so the glow of exertion or the blanch of fear is obvious in the picture. I want a good scenery shot. I want to be able to take soft portraits, catch an odd shot of a fast mooving critter. Take my favorites and make a quality 8x10.

Basically my goal is to take better pictures. Kevin Sites and Robert Young Pelton have my dream job. To join with them in their profession is not one of my goals, for now anyway. But if you look through thier work you will see what mostly holds my interest. For now I don't approach things from a journalistic point of view at all. You make more friends that way. As to the question "

Whether of an ant carrying its eggs, a peragine falcon nesting 300' up or my niece or nephew goofing off. Better pictures. I used to use a 35mm Pentax MZ-7 with a bunch of Tamron lenses that ran the whole range. It did pretty good but what a pain. Digital is the way to go and my point and shoot can be limiting at times.

I'm not a professional in that I don't make money from the pictures I take but I volunteer them to be viewed by those who are interested and sometimes people ask to use them for thier own purposes.

Ziggy. Your right. I couldn't tell you what is a quality lense and what isn't for the most part. Basically the lenses I listed cover 90% of the lense ranges that I had for my Pentax. I found they were toted as good lenses in some reviews but as you know there are a lot of varying reviews on things.

So I've decided to put in an order for a Canon Digital Rebel XTi. Canon just announced a EF 50 mm f/1.2L USM and an EF 70-200mm f/4L is USM along with the XTi announcement. What do you think 1.2 vs 1.8? I haven't seen prices for these two lenses yet probably still being decided. I will also get the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 ex DC you mention. If I'm not mistaken the Canon EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 is USM is made for a digital C sized chip to avoid the cropping issue is it not?
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    A little Sony DSC-P200 point and shoot.