Options

Olympus FL-36 flash unit

Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited August 25, 2006 in Accessories
Hi

I am looking at buying an Olympus FL-36 flash unit for my E300. I currently have a digital flash unit - a cheap one- that doesn't work with the E300 automatic programming, it just works on manual.

Before I spend $300 on the FL-36 can people tell me whether they think it is worth it and whether it would be better than a generic manual flash unit which only shoots a set flash out each time.

Any experiences you have with the FL-36 or a manual flash unit would be most helpful.

Thanks
Bruce

PS. I have also posted to the dpreview group but so far got no good answers.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited August 25, 2006
    bump.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    I've sent Bruce some info when he asked the same by PM. For others to learn/see, I'll quote myself:
    The FL-36 is a fine flash, albeit a bit limited, both in recharge cycle (it only uses two AA batteries) and in range (12-36 meters, depending on focal length, at ISO 100). Especially if you think you'd use the flash at full power (which taxes the recycle times most) you might want to consider the FL-50 (four batteries and more range), although that one is quite a lot more expensive.

I have used a Metz manual flash with my E-1 as well, but the results I've got from the FL-36 beat that. If used for fill flash, the exposure is better, and I have less issues with overly lit "flash faces". That said, I hardly ever do flash photography, so I'm not the best expert on how to get the max out if those flashes. If you want more information, you might want to check out E B's post on fourthirdsphoto.com You can find his usage guide at http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/s...ead.php?t=1322. If you post your questions there, I'm sure people with experience with both available external flashes can help you out.

I have seen Bruce has gotten some answers on fourthirdsphoto.com. But still I think he'd be happy with any additional info anyone has. Or have you decided already, Bruce?
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    I've sent Bruce some info when he asked the same by PM. For others to learn/see, I'll quote myself:

I have seen Bruce has gotten some answers on fourthirdsphoto.com. But still I think he'd be happy with any additional info anyone has. Or have you decided already, Bruce?
    Well, I have no experience with this flash or set up. But, I faced a similar situation with my Canon, and I can say this: the E-TTL flash amazes me every time I use it. With the manual flash, it was usually a bother to get is set right, and I got varing success: over exposure, dark backgrounds, and fill flash outdoors was difficult. With the Canon 430EX flash,,,,I just attach it, turn it on, and it does the rest. I just take pictures. I can also dial down the output, and it still performs, simply taking my wishes into consideration.

Bottomline, if you are considering the choice between a manual flash, and one that works with your camera's exposure system, go with the integrated one everytime.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 25, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Bottomline, if you are considering the choice between a manual flash, and one that works with your camera's exposure system, go with the integrated one everytime.

15524779-Ti.gifagree
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    I'm using an ancient but still available Vivitar 285 with my Olympus E500. Of course it only works on manual but it has it's own auto sensor with 4 different auto ranges at different apertures and manual power settings from "Full' down to "1/16th". The head also has a Frensel lens and it zooms from "Wide" to 'Tele". I've had this old flamethrower for ever and I'm well pleased with it. If you don't want to pay the price for the dedicated Oly flash you should consider one of these. If you decide to go with the dedicated flash get the FL50; it's worth the extra money.

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    I've used old Olympus T series flashes for my OM's and now have the FL-36 for my E-500.

The -36 is not a big room bounce flash unit. But I shoot mostly macros and as often as possible, far from pavement, so it has enough power for me and weights less than a -50.

I've been happy with it.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    www.dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies