Options

The Nerve of..

livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited August 26, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
that newspaper editor. Ok my best friend road his bike across the country yes bicycle. So before he left i took some photos of him a local beach with his bike while the sun was rising. Both my school paper and local town paper ran a front page story with credit for my photo. Two weeks later the regional paper "The Telegraph" runs a front page story of him making it and the photo are as quoted "Courtsey" speeling? photos not to happy to say the least errr....

-ty

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    There was recently a long thread over at FM in a similar situation. A paper used the guy's photos (after stripping watermarks no less) & apparently became belligerent when called on it. Last post indicated he had a lawyer & things were progressing toward a courtroom meeting.

So, I wonder, "courtesy" of whom? Certainly not you. I'd find out where they got it & do they realize they did not have permission to run it.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    i wrote them a letter including proof that it was indeed my photo and they have not yet responded back yet

-Ty
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 25, 2006
    i wrote them a letter including proof that it was indeed my photo and they have not yet responded back yet

-Ty

screw the letter... send an invoice!
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Did the local town paper have you sign anything? Is the local paper affiliated with the regional paper, therefore when you gave the local paper permission to use your image you gave their affiliates permission also?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Did the local town paper have you sign anything? Is the local paper affiliated with the regional paper, therefore when you gave the local paper permission to use your image you gave their affiliates permission also?

That's the thought that occurred to me too. Here in Sydney a lot of the municipal papers are directly owned (and run?) by the larger publication companies which I guess means that an agreement with the little one may be an agreement with the larger parent company. I am not a lawyer however so there may be assorted other rules that apply.

Conversley this should mean that for contributed material the same pay scale applies thank-you-oh-so-very-much. It's almost in line with the other thread about Brian/LordV's contributions - Give away nothing for free.

--
    Jon
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    No they had me sign nothing at all just verbal permission

-ty