Options

To crop or not to Crop

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited November 26, 2004 in Landscapes
Color or black and white???
Decisions, decisions.
I thought I would crop this picture really tight to show how high these stairs are...
Question is if there is enough picture left. Wa'da ya think all?

11635561-L.jpg
11635562-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mgoundmgound Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2004
    Color is better in this case!
    Land on your right foot. Don't forget it!
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2004
    Cat, I prefer the colour, and I think "no crop" but would like to have a look first :D
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Cat, I prefer the colour, and I think "no crop" but would like to have a look first :D

Oke... I might have gone overboard with the black and white...
    Will try to locate the uncropped version...
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    I like the effect of the black and white one better, more dramatic. I think it makes the stair case stand out more.

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    I agree with Yvette, AND
    I'd even adjust the B/W a bit more. I'd do some extra Curves adjustment and a selective colour adjustment to pump up the blacks a bit.

It's a cool photo nonetheless!

[rambling mode]
    What I'm wondering in this tight view is the tightness of the stair itself :D is this a small stair with small steps? How would it be on a dark and gloomy, dripping day, to walk on that stair, looking forward to get on the top of it....? Looking back and seeing a tight alley, where a little girl is playing around some puddles at the end of the alley with a raincoat on....
    [/rambling mode off]

Okay, that photo got me inspired Laughing.gif
    Thanks for sharing!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    I'd even adjust the B/W a bit more. I'd do some extra Curves adjustment and a selective colour adjustment to pump up the blacks a bit.

It's a cool photo nonetheless!

[rambling mode]
    What
    [/rambling mode off]

Okay, that photo got me inspired Laughing.gif
    Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys for the comments. I did not get a warming that there were comments on it.
    Like your rambling mode Michiel... Would you be dutch speaking like this one here?
    The thing is that in Bisbee you don't have many moody days. It is in the South of Arizona, close to the Mexican border, a little mining town that had its best days in the past. They mined for copper. (There are more pics on my smugmug travel gallerie if you want to see more of Bisbee).
    The town is glued to the hills, frontdoor and back door of a house can be on two different street levels. Some of the houses are only to reach via
    narrow staircases like this one. They are narrow, you can have only one person on them, woould not like those to carry groceries up. How do they get a fridge in their house on the top of the hill???
    There is not much rain in that area, it is cactus land. It was the first city in USA to forbid chinese people to come and live there. That was due to the fact that widows (mine accidents) did laundry to survive with t heir children, so no chinese people were allowed as to not jeopardise the surviving possibilities of the women with children.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    yeah, Dutch guy here
    photocat wrote:
    It was the first city in USA to forbid chinese people to come and live there. That was due to the fact that widows (mine accidents) did laundry to survive with t heir children, so no chinese people were allowed as to not jeopardise the surviving possibilities of the women with children.
    The town really looks like it's a perfect photo op :D I'll be checking out your other photos later!
    What a typical passing of law that is.. not allowing people because of lack of jobs for the local widows. Part of me applauds it wholeheartedly, but there's a nagging part within me that is going headscratch.gif
    Oh well, there's probably heaps of stuff USA citizens cannot understand about the Dutch mwink.gif
    So you speak Dutch too? Where are you from?
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    What a typical passing of law that is.. not allowing people because of lack of jobs for the local widows. Part of me applauds it wholeheartedly, but there's a nagging part within me that is going headscratch.gif

I had the exact same feeling: parts of me applauded the rule, on the other hand it is also very racist... or shall we say politically incorrect.
    I am a dutchspeaking belgian living in UK, married to an american. That is how we travel to the States, on homeleave for him.

Here is the original of the staircase...

11868795-L.jpg