Raynox DCR-250 on Sony A100

donwhitedonwhite Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 31, 2006 in Cameras
Has anyone tried the Raynox DCR-250 on a Sony A100. From its description it looks like it would be compatible. The Raynox is a special order through Henry's, thus no return even if it doesn't work, so I'd like some info before I lay down the cash.

Don

Comments

• hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    I have not used one on the A100 dSLR ... nonetheless, I have used it on several Canon dSLR lenses as well as my Sony F828 and it works just fine. The multi-thread adapter it screws into is hokey-looking, but it allows the DCR-250 to fit a myriad of lenses. I see no reason why it would not work on the A100 ... a good "poor-man's macro". Just remember, depth of field with the DCR-250 is paper-thin and focus must be spot-on.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 29, 2006
    donwhite wrote:
    Has anyone tried the Raynox DCR-250 on a Sony A100. From its description it looks like it would be compatible. The Raynox is a special order through Henry's, thus no return even if it doesn't work, so I'd like some info before I lay down the cash.

Don

Hi Don,

The Raynox DCR-250 is an inexpensive (cheap really) clip-on close-up attachment lens. The clip-on design is a giveaway that quality is not the prime consideration. Centering is dubious at best with these attachments.

Note also that it is 43mm threads, adapted to a 52-67mm thread via the clip-on mount. Coverage will probably be less than the image frame.

All of that said, the lens can provide interesting results on a digicam. I found this series using the Raynox DCR-250 on a FZ30.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=18631914

So will it attach to the Sony Alpha 100? It depends on what lens you provide since that camera is a dSLR that accepts the Minolta mount lenses. The standard "kit" lens is the 18-70mm, f3.5-5.6, and it has 55mm filter threads, so yes, the Raynox DCR-250 should clip on.

What results can you expect? I think you would be much happier using a genuine macro lens in the 100-180mm range, but this conversion lens could probably produce very nice web-images through 4"x6". You might also consider a Canon 250D for a bit better quality, although less magnification.

A genuine Konica Minolta Telephoto AF D 100mm f/2.8 Macro Autofocus Lens is available for around $550USD and has a very good reputation for quality images at 1:1 macro.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=210663&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • donwhitedonwhite Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback.

Don