Options

A Mixbag of 20D images......

lubenluben Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited November 26, 2004 in People
Hi all this could have also gone into the Urban/Architecture folder, but here goes...

Last night I went to London. I go to London a lot & usually shoot things such as this:
original.jpg

original.jpg

But a different camera inspired me to take a different approach from my usual routine. Previously I was armed with the Sony DSC-F717 pro-sumer camera, but recently I plunged head down into the DSLR world by purchasing a Canon 20D with 17-40 (for landscapes) and 50 1.4 (for portraits) lenses.

So I threw caution to the wind by leaving my tripod behind (I NEVER do that usually) & travelled light by taking just the 20D and the 50mm prime. This gave me the opportunity to try stuff I wouldn't have tried before:

1) Available light portraits (indoors & at night)
original.jpg
A shot of my fiance taken at a restaurant using available lighting. Settings were - ISO 800, f2.0, 1/25 sec (the shot would be sharper if it wasn't for the slow shutter speed - I'm still very much learning the ropes with this camera). Shot in JPEG. PS Work - WB adjustment, border, resize, sharpening. I must say that I would NEVER dream of taking a shot like this with my 717. The noise & slow focusing in low light really put me off.

2) Shalow DOF
original.jpg
Taken at the same restaurant. Let's face it, everyone who comes from pro-sumer cameras needs to take a few of these to get them out of their system. :-) I love the bokeh of the 50 1.4 & am thankful to all who recomended it to me. Settings were - ISO 1600, f1.8, 1/125 sec. Shot in JPEG. PS Work - Border, resize, sharpening. Again, while I wouldn't shoot stuff like this all the time, pro-sumer land cameras are just not capable of producing this effect.

3) Handheld Night Architecture
original.jpg
People who know my work can attest that I am addicted to floodlit architecture. Until now, I've always used a tripod. While I will continue to use one, it is nice to have the choice to be lazy for once in a while and leave it behind. :-)

I know there is now way for you to judge the noise from these small versions, but I personally would be happy to print this at 8" x 6" without the need to noise reduce in software. Settings were - ISO 1600, f3.2, 1/50 sec. Shot in JPEG. PS Work - wb adjustment, border, resize, sharpening.

4) Low-Light Action
original.jpg
Andy Williams is always inspiring us with great still shots depicting movement. And I've always wanted to do them. While a 717 or a 828 is perfectly capable of capturing this type of shot, I never felt all that confident before. I only got 2 tries at this last night, as it was getting cold and late, but I intend to continue practicing in order to get my panning technique spot on. Settings used - ISO 400, f8, 3/10sec. Shot in JPEG. PS Work - curves adjustment (I underexposed the shot - my fault), border, resize.

I've owned the 20D for less than 48 hours, but I already know that there is now way back for me. True, I will miss the live histogram and the tilting body of the 717, but for everything else the 20D is in a different league. The speed, noise performance and the optical viewfinder alone have transformed my photo taking experience. And before you say, I know that the 717/827 cost a lot less than the 20D and comparing the two is a little like comparing apples and oranges - still they both take pictures & the 20D makes low-light picture taking loads of fun!!!

Hope you liked the shots

Luben
>>>> Luben - www.solev.net <<<<

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2004
    impressive shots Luben, with both cameras!
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2004
    Humbling.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2004
    I can't shoot over ISO100 without tons of noise, and there is very little DOF I have been able to get out of my non-dSLR. You must be thrilled with all of the options available to you now with your new 20D. I hope you'll continue to share your work here!clap.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2004
    Re:
    Very nice Luben.
    Lets see more test shotsclap.gif
  • Options
    lubenluben Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2004
    Thanks guys,

As I said, I'm still in the very early stages of playing with the 20D & still trying to find my feet a little. Thus I don't have any other test shots to share with you yet. Still I am lovng the experience and am actually releved by how intuitive the camera is to use. Can't wait for the weekend!!

Thanks again for your comments and have a good evening.

Luben
    >>>> Luben - www.solev.net <<<<
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited November 21, 2004
    Liked 'em? Loved 'em!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 21, 2004
    luben wrote:

But a different camera inspired me to take a different approach from my usual routine. Previously I was armed with the Sony DSC-F717 pro-sumer camera, but recently I plunged head down into the DSLR world by purchasing a Canon 20D with 17-40 (for landscapes) and 50 1.4 (for portraits) lenses.

So I threw caution to the wind by leaving my tripod behind (I NEVER do that usually) & travelled light by taking just the 20D and the 50mm prime. This gave me the opportunity to try stuff I wouldn't have tried before:

3) Handheld Night Architecture
    original.jpg
    People who know my work can attest that I am addicted to floodlit architecture. Until now, I've always used a tripod. While I will continue to use one, it is nice to have the choice to be lazy for once in a while and leave it behind. :-)

I know there is now way for you to judge the noise from these small versions, but I personally would be happy to print this at 8" x 6" without the need to noise reduce in software. Settings were - ISO 1600, f3.2, 1/50 sec. Shot in JPEG. PS Work - wb adjustment, border, resize, sharpening.

4) Low-Light Action
    original.jpg
    Andy Williams is always inspiring us with great still shots depicting movement. And I've always wanted to do them. While a 717 or a 828 is perfectly capable of capturing this type of shot, I never felt all that confident before. I only got 2 tries at this last night, as it was getting cold and late, but I intend to continue practicing in order to get my panning technique spot on. Settings used - ISO 400, f8, 3/10sec. Shot in JPEG. PS Work - curves adjustment (I underexposed the shot - my fault), border, resize.

I've owned the 20D for less than 48 hours, but I already know that there is now way back for me. True, I will miss the live histogram and the tilting body of the 717, but for everything else the 20D is in a different league. The speed, noise performance and the optical viewfinder alone have transformed my photo taking experience. And before you say, I know that the 717/827 cost a lot less than the 20D and comparing the two is a little like comparing apples and oranges - still they both take pictures & the 20D makes low-light picture taking loads of fun!!!

Hope you liked the shots

Luben

Welcome, Luben. Andy has been singing your praises and I can certainly see why. Digital SLRs have opened up night shooting in a way film never did. Wxwax and I call ourselves vampires at times because we stalk the night. Floodlit architecture is just great at night as you said - here is an image complete with stars ....
    8635490-M.jpg

Welcome to dgrin -

clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Fantastic shots of London... you really know how to capture a memorable moment.thumb.gif
    I also really like the 'abstract' photo or your fiance... some thing very arty about it.

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004