Options

Wet lab - retouching the old way

arjunrcarjunrc Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited August 29, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Hi,
does anyone have access to a wet lab for retouching as it was done before the photoshop era ? If you do, and have knowledge of retouching please drop in an email to arjunrc@gmail.com. Thanks in advance :-) I am thinking of hosting an article in the next issue of the pbase magazine about the old way and the new way :ie wet-lab vs. photoshop (before you hack me to death, this is a free magazine, with little relationship to PBase except for the fact that they host it). No money to be earned, but you will be read by over 55,000 readers :):

regds
arjun

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited August 28, 2006
    Arjun,

Sounds interesting. Not that my darkroom is going to ever see the light of day (pun) ever again, but other readers of this who still have a working wet darkroom might have questions, so I'll ask some of them here...

What would be involved? Full developing and printing? Toning? Dodging/burning? Spot removal? Compensation for materials and chemicals used?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Arjun,

Sounds interesting. Not that my darkroom is going to ever see the light of day (pun) ever again, but other readers of this who still have a working wet darkroom might have questions, so I'll ask some of them here...

What would be involved? Full developing and printing? Toning? Dodging/burning? Spot removal? Compensation for materials and chemicals used?

Hi David, this idea here is a 'walk down memory lane'. The thought here is to take up a typical retouching activity that people do today with photoshop in a jiffy (example dodge/burn, sharpening, contrast adjustment) amd how it was done in the old days. The article should have supporting images of the preparation needed for the wet-lab process and the work flow.

You get to choose the exact retouching you want to compare and contrast.

Finally, the materials used will be borne as an expense by the author.

regds
    arjun
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Maybe not an answer, but it is at least related. The book (which I have) "Primitive Photography: A Guide to Making Cameras, Lenses, and Calotypes" is great way to see how it's done and was done and could be done again when we re-enter the stone age mwink.gif

I picked the book up at Amazon
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Maybe not an answer, but it is at least related. The book (which I have) "Primitive Photography: A Guide to Making Cameras, Lenses, and Calotypes" is great way to see how it's done and was done and could be done again when we re-enter the stone age mwink.gif

I picked the book up at Amazon

Ok, so are you volunteering to re-enact the book for the next issue ? Unlimited fame and stardom, Shay. Unlimited FAME and STARDOM. Remember the time we featured you on Issue #1 and you made it to the E! top 100 countdown of 'whats hot' ? cheerleader.gif :jose cheerleader.gif

regds
    arjun
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    I wish! I probably can't tackle such a project until this winter.
    arjunrc wrote:
    Ok, so are you volunteering to re-enact the book for the next issue ?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie