Options

Brown Bears

mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
edited August 30, 2006 in Holy Macro
Every July salmon is coming up stream at Brooks Falls (Katmai National Park) to lay the eggs and to die, which means it is the one of the best places to get close and personal with brown bears. It was December, when I first learned about the place. Right away I called to make a reservation for July to see bears. Reservation agent asked me: "What year you'd like to make reservation for?" I could not understand what she was talking about - it was December, I was making reservation for July, why to ask about the year. To make long story short there were no spaces available for the next 2 years. We ended up staying in King Salmon and flying hydro plane every day to Brooks Falls.
Brooks Falls area have 2 viewing platforms. If one reaches a platform, one is safe, but to reach a platform one should walk a trail in the forest. It is only matter of time before one will meat a bear on the trail. We met 2 young bears, but we did what we were told to do, which is: slowly back up, do not make an eye contact with bears and talk to bears to let them know you are humans, not bears. It worked and bears turned into the forest.
The upper viewing platform is the place, to see bears catching salmon. Every bear has his own technic. Some wait just above the falls and salmon goes directly to their mouths, some try to catch salmon below the falls and some simply steal from other bears.
Sometimes trails got closed. Once a male killed a cub. Distressed mother was to dangerous to let people walk around. Other time a mother and a cub were at the bridge for 2 hours. We were at the lower platform and missed our lunch, but it was OK. It was fun to watch a cub trying to catch a salmon that was going just below the bridge.
People could fish salmon too, but they allow to keep only one fish a day. All other must be released.
It is sure the place to visit, but do make reservation well in advance.
The pictures are digital copies of my old film pictures and the quality is not so good. I just like to share with you one cool place to see bears.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 29, 2006
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Cool pics, sounds like a neat place!

Ben
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    cool series loved them
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    mbz wrote:
    Every July salmon is coming up stream at Brooks Falls (Katmai National Park) to lay the eggs and to die, which means it is the one of the best places to get close and personal with brown bears. It was December, when I first learned about the place. Right away I called to make a reservation for July to see bears. Reservation agent asked me: "What year you'd like to make reservation for?" I could not understand what she was talking about - it was December, I was making reservation for July, why to ask about the year. To make long story short there were no spaces available for the next 2 years. We ended up staying in King Salmon and flying hydro plane every day to Brooks Falls.
    Brooks Falls area have 2 viewing platforms. If one reaches a platform, one is safe, but to reach a platform one should walk a trail in the forest. It is only matter of time before one will meat a bear on the trail. We met 2 young bears, but we did what we were told to do, which is: slowly back up, do not make an eye contact with bears and talk to bears to let them know you are humans, not bears. It worked and bears turned into the forest.
    The upper viewing platform is the place, to see bears catching salmon. Every bear has his own technic. Some wait just above the falls and salmon goes directly to their mouths, some try to catch salmon below the falls and some simply steal from other bears.
    Sometimes trails got closed. Once a male killed a cub. Distressed mother was to dangerous to let people walk around. Other time a mother and a cub were at the bridge for 2 hours. We were at the lower platform and missed our lunch, but it was OK. It was fun to watch a cub trying to catch a salmon that was going just below the bridge.
    People could fish salmon too, but they allow to keep only one fish a day. All other must be released.
    It is sure the place to visit, but do make reservation well in advance.
    The pictures are digital copies of my old film pictures and the quality is not so good. I just like to share with you one cool place to see bears.

Wow.... what an experience that would be!!!
    A scary one too if you came across the bears, where there's babies there's mothers, and we all know what mothers are capable of doing to protect their young.

Man you got some cool shots in this lot ....... I can well imagine that the place is booked out so far in advance..... what a sight to see thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Thank you, everybody.