Options

Popup Timeline Hack

devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
Since JT implemented the theme popup and writing a custom timeline hack for brando, I thought about doing to Timeline popup hack, to save navigating to the Timeline date or having it on the homepage all the time.

87342450-L-0.jpg

So here's the code and you can also try it out on my site...

- javascript
- css
- footer/header

Additionally, I link the code into my nav bar like this...
<*a id="timeline_button" href="javascript:toggleTimelineChoices();">Timeline<*/a><!--*a-->
Let me know if there are any problems.

Cheers,

David
David Parry
SmugMug API Developer
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Since JT implemented the theme popup and writing a custom timeline hack for brando, I thought about doing to Timeline popup hack, to save navigating to the Timeline date or having it on the homepage all the time.

87342450-L-0.jpg

So here's the code and you can also try it out on my site...

- javascript
    - css
    - footer/header

Additionally, I link the code into my nav bar like this...
    <*a id="timeline_button" href="javascript:toggleTimelineChoices();">Timeline<*/a><!--*a-->

Let me know if there are any problems.

Cheers,

David

This looks really cool!
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    Very cool, but I have to click on the button twice before it pops up. I'm using FF1.5.0.6. I also get the following errors in the javascript error box (not visible on screen).

Error: Unexpected end of file while searching for closing } of declaration block.
    Source File: http://introversion.smugmug.com/include/css/user_introversion-20060810193338.css
    Line: 86

Error: Expected declaration but found '#currentTimelineInfo'. Skipped to next declaration.
    Source File: http://introversion.smugmug.com/include/css/user_introversion-20060810193338.css
    Line: 80
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    Very cool, but I have to click on the button twice before it pops up. I'm using FF1.5.0.6. I also get the following errors in the javascript error box (not visible on screen).

Error: Unexpected end of file while searching for closing } of declaration block.
    Line: 86

Error: Expected declaration but found '#currentTimelineInfo'. Skipped to next declaration.
    Line: 80

Thanks Pat

I hacked the CSS really quickly....and removed one of the } rolleyes1.gif

Still a few minor CSS display issues I need to sort out.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    clap.gif

More cool stuff to clutter my customization boxes with. :D
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Thanks Pat

I hacked the CSS really quickly....and removed one of the } rolleyes1.gif

Still a few minor CSS display issues I need to sort out.

Cheers,

David
    2 quickies... did you figure out why the link had to be clicked twice on the 1st use to get the box to open... and will it be themed to our page automatically... I know I could add the code to see. But I'm not really sure I want to impliment this...
    Can the box be further styled... or would that require adjusting the hacked code? No specific requests at this point...
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    2 quickies... did you figure out why the link had to be clicked twice on the 1st use to get the box to open... and will it be themed to our page automatically... I know I could add the code to see. But I'm not really sure I want to impliment this...
    Can the box be further styled... or would that require adjusting the hacked code? No specific requests at this point...

Anthony,

The click twice issue is to do with dynamically loading a script library...I need to look into this, but it a very small issue.

Point 2, styling should happen automatically, as per the hack I did for u previously.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Anthony,

The click twice issue is to do with dynamically loading a script library...I need to look into this, but it a very small issue.

Point 2, styling should happen automatically, as per the hack I did for u previously.

Cheers,

David

Thanks... I think I may try to add the link button below my nav bar but above the search by term box. Then get the search by date box centered up on the page when opened so it looks similar to what I now have... would there be and easy way to add the boxTop that I currently have to the box that appears? I'll play with it I think.. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    could you look at my page?

http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/keyword/

issues...

In IE the borders of the search by date box top do not line up with the box created by the JS... (I think that's how I want to explain it...) It happens to your page to but yours is b0rked on the right end, mine on top.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    could you look at my page?

http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/keyword/

issues...

In IE the borders of the search by date box top do not line up with the box created by the JS... (I think that's how I want to explain it...) It happens to your page to but yours is b0rked on the right end, mine on top.

Anthony,

Unfortunately, that CSS stuff rolleyes1.gif You would probably be able to fix it better than me. Otherwise, get Mike, BWG, ivar or Barb on the job. thumb.gif

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    OK.. the "loading" text does not show up in IE... Is that CSS or JS?
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    OK.. the "loading" text does not show up in IE... Is that CSS or JS?

that's css :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2006
    sorry to say I think I'm giving up... Back to the old format...
  • Options
    enigmaticenigmatic Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited August 30, 2006
    Hi!
    Thanks so much for sharing your tips with us. I LOVE how you only show the slideshow and allow the other things (featured galleries/regular galleries to be "uncovered") Is there any chance that you'd share with us how to do that trick?

Thanks so much!

-Matt
    enigmatic.smugmug.com