Options

Short cuts Photoshop CS

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited November 27, 2004 in Finishing School
Yesterday, I was one of the few happy ones able to do a free seminar with Michael O'Neill, photoshop guru..., Adobe's lucky boy in UK.
He showed us a shortcut which works as follows, if you are in typing mode in both PS8 and Indesign two, you have the ability to just click on the top font in the font dialogue option tool bar. When you hit the arrows then you scroll up and down till you have the right font for the job.
Great timesaver, except, sometimes I can do it, and on other moments I have to hit the space bar first...
Has anyone knowledge of this feature and is there a right way of doing it?

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Cool tip. thumb.gif I just tried it. I typed, then I highlighted what I had typed, single clicked on the Font name, then arrowed up and down. Very nice. Now, if I could only figure out why all the fonts in Photoshop look essentially identical. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Cool tip. thumb.gif I just tried it. I typed, then I highlighted what I had typed, single clicked on the Font name, then arrowed up and down. Very nice. Now, if I could only figure out why all the fonts in Photoshop look essentially identical. headscratch.gif

Mine don't look identical. I have WYSIWYG... if some look identical it is IMHO due to the fact that a font is missing in your system, so it uses a similar font... available in your system.

I do use suitcase... Should that matter?
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    Mine don't look identical. I have WYSIWYG... if some look identical it is IMHO due to the fact that a font is missing in your system, so it uses a similar font... available in your system.

I do use suitcase... Should that matter?
    I'm afraid I don't know what a suitcase is.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm afraid I don't know what a suitcase is.

Sorry Sid, it is a font managing program for the macintosh.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Since I switched to a Mac, I have noticed a few differences that do not seem be mentioned - For example, I liked to use Palatino for my signature in WinXP PS CS images, but I cannot seem to find that font in PS CS on my Mac. Very strange ... because when I use the Finder in my MAC to search I find Palatino-bold, Palatino-bolditalic, Palatino-Italic, and Palatino-Roman - so Palatino is a Mac supported font.
    SO.... I have a similar problem waxy, but you are in Win XP aren't you?

What gives here ?

But yes, once you click on the Font selections, you can go up and down the list with the arrow keys.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Since I switched to a Mac, I have noticed a few differences that do not seem be mentioned - For example, I liked to use Palatino for my signature in WinXP PS CS images, but I cannot seem to find that font in PS CS on my Mac. Very strange ... because when I use the Finder in my MAC to search I find Palatino-bold, Palatino-bolditalic, Palatino-Italic, and Palatino-Roman - so Palatino is a Mac supported font.

What gives here ?

But yes, once you click on the Font selections, you can go up and down the list with the arrow keys.
    Yes, WinXP. Perhaps I haven't unlocked fonts that are actually in the system, but not active? And the same for you? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

What gives here ?

as far as Mac is concerned, it does make a difference where you store th fonts. You have two font levels. The root folder has a font folder in the library folder. If you put fonts in that folder, every user on that machine will be able to use those fonts. If you put the fonts in the library on the user level, also in the library, that user will be the only one to have acces to the fonts...
    It is best to store photoshop in applications on the root level, if you are the only user on the mac, you probably will know that you can use all the fonts on the user level.
    HTH
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I have the same issue! The list of fonts in PSCS all are displayed with the same font. In Word they are WYSWYG. Is there a preference or setting to correct this?

Sam