Options

Atlantic City Boardwalk Airshow [8 IMGs]

Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited September 3, 2006 in Holy Macro
I went to the 4th annual AC Boardwalk Airshow last week. The weather was great (could have used a few more clouds :): ). The radio announcer said that this show drew approximately 600,000 spectators which broke the record for any other previous events at Atlantic City. This was also the first time ever that the Blue Angels and the Air Force Thunderbirds performed at the same event. After shooting about 600 shots I went home hoping to have some unique captures. I then checked dgrin for previous postings of airshows. There were already many great shots of the Blue Angels and others on previous posts of similar airshows around the country. Here are some of the shots I took that I thought were either unique or interesting enough to post. This was my first time shooting an airshow. Any C&C's are always appreciated. There are also many other pics in my gallery if you are inclined to view.:D

1. Air National Guard F-16, 177th FW, Jersey Devils
91158393-L.jpg

2. USAF B-2A Stealth Bomber
91160268-L.jpg

3. B-2A Overhead Closeup.
91160075-L.jpg

4. Blue Angels slow flyby passing over a building.
91168733-L.jpg

5. Blue Angels break away.
91167336-L.jpg

6. US Coast Guard HH-65C Rescue Deminstration
91173044-L.jpg

7. USAF Heritage Flight F-15, F-4, F-22, P-51
91174304-L.jpg

8. US Air Force Thunderbirds
91182609-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    clap.gif I was hoping someone would get shots of that! Nice job! I was a few miles south in Ocean City but couldn't make it up there umph.gif. Sure heard them, though!

You have some really good stuff there - the closeup of the B2 and the T-birds are my favs of this set. Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    clap.gif I was hoping someone would get shots of that! Nice job! I was a few miles south in Ocean City but couldn't make it up there umph.gif. Sure heard them, though!

You have some really good stuff there - the closeup of the B2 and the T-birds are my favs of this set. Thanks for posting!

Thanks DJ. I used my 400mm F/5.6 for most of these shots. When that B-2A came overhead I had a tough time getting most of it in my FOV. It reminded me of that opening scene in the 1st Starwars movie when the battle cruiser past overhead :D .
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Great captures ! loved them
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    wow great shots, shot number 3 the belly of the stealth bomber is awesome and number 8 is great

just looked at your gallery of all the shots, you have alot of awesome shots there well done, I liked them alot
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    Twisted ImageTwisted Image Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    it is so frustrating to me that they hold something like that in the middle of the week. I would have loved to have been there.

Very nice shots..especially the heritage shot..
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Thanks Awais and Digitalpins for the comments.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    it is so frustrating to me that they hold something like that in the middle of the week. I would have loved to have been there.

Very nice shots..especially the heritage shot..

Hi T.I.,
    Yea, it seems odd to have such a large event on a Wednesday. Fortunately I was on vacation that week. Even the Tuesday practice runs by the Blue Angels were impressive. I was boating in the area that day and they were practically on top of us :D .
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Fred W wrote:
    I went to the 4th annual AC Boardwalk Airshow last week. The weather was great (could have used a few more clouds :): ). The radio announcer said that this show drew approximately 600,000 spectators which broke the record for any other previous events at Atlantic City. This was also the first time ever that the Blue Angels and the Air Force Thunderbirds performed at the same event. After shooting about 600 shots I went home hoping to have some unique captures. I then checked dgrin for previous postings of airshows. There were already many great shots of the Blue Angels and others on previous posts of similar airshows around the country. Here are some of the shots I took that I thought were either unique or interesting enough to post. This was my first time shooting an airshow. Any C&C's are always appreciated. There are also many other pics in my gallery if you are inclined to view.:D

1. Air National Guard F-16, 177th FW, Jersey Devils
    2. USAF B-2A Stealth Bomber
    3. B-2A Overhead Closeup.
    4. Blue Angels slow flyby passing over a building.
    5. Blue Angels break away.
    6. US Coast Guard HH-65C Rescue Deminstration
    7. USAF Heritage Flight F-15, F-4, F-22, P-51
    8. US Air Force Thunderbirds

Great Series Fred ........gosh that Stealth looks like a whopping big circuit board underneith.

The formation shots look great thumb.gif and that chopper rescue looks awesome too....., we see some pretty big choppers come into the hospital some days here in Geelong.

Thanks for sharing your AirShow images Fred clap.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Great Series Fred ........gosh that Stealth looks like a whopping big circuit board underneith.

The formation shots look great thumb.gif and that chopper rescue looks awesome too....., we see some pretty big choppers come into the hospital some days here in Geelong.

Thanks for sharing your AirShow images Fred clap.gif Skippy (Australia)

Thanks Skippy,
    That day the weather was just so great and the event was really fun to shoot.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Great Series
    I love that last one of the Thunderbirds. Great capture! Looks like you had a serious fun shoot that day. Super work!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    I love that last one of the Thunderbirds. Great capture! Looks like you had a serious fun shoot that day. Super work!

Thanks Swartzy. It was 5 hours of sweating under the sun, re-hydrating, and loving every minute of it. :D
  • Options
    1ibandit1ibandit Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    What about the YF22?
    I went to the Air show in Chicago a couple of weeks ago ( pictures at www.1ibandit.com ) and the YF22 was scheduled to be flying, but it was a no show.. Does any have an airshow picture off the YF22, or are they just teasing us?
    1iBandit
    "Take what is given, and steal the rest."
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2006
    1ibandit wrote:
    I went to the Air show in Chicago a couple of weeks ago ( pictures at www.1ibandit.com ) and the YF22 was scheduled to be flying, but it was a no show.. Does any have an airshow picture off the YF22, or are they just teasing us?

There was a F-22 Stealth Fighter at the AC show. Isn't that the same model as the YF22?:):

91160756-L.jpg
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    that close-up of the underbelly of the stealth is awsome!
  • Options
    1ibandit1ibandit Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    Fred W wrote:
    There was a F-22 Stealth Fighter at the AC show. Isn't that the same model as the YF22?:):

Yes Fred it is.. I didn't see that picture on your site.. I must have missed it... I wanted to see the YF22 fly... From the little I have read about it nothing can really touch it.

Thanks for the post
    1iBandit
    "Take what is given, and steal the rest."