Options

Trouble with using Mac to order prints?

flyingpointflyingpoint Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited September 1, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Smug Muggers -

I've had a couple of people complain to me that they couldn't order prints through my site (www.flyingpointroad.com). In both cases, they were using Macs and the problem was described as "It wouldn't let me add the photo to my cart."

Any suggestions?

THANKS!!!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Smug Muggers -

I've had a couple of people complain to me that they couldn't order prints through my site (www.flyingpointroad.com). In both cases, they were using Macs and the problem was described as "It wouldn't let me add the photo to my cart."

Any suggestions?

THANKS!!!

If they are using IE5.5 on an older Mac, yeah that's an unsupported browser and will be a problem. But if they are on a Mac running Safari, or Firefox, no problems we support that fully and the cart works fine. They MUST have cookies enabled and javascript enabled.

If you have your customer write us, help@smugmug.com we can help them :)
  • Options
    flyingpointflyingpoint Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Thanks
    Andy -

Once again, thanks for the quick reply. I'll pass along the information.

Steve
  • Options
    uncx1uncx1 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    actually i have a friend that works at a mac store and i was trying to show her my site using safari and i could not add a photo to the shopping cart.

I thought maybe it was just something wrong with that computer but if other people are having a similar problem.....??? I have been able to do it using Firefox on a mac but have not since tried it using safari. I will try again using safari when I get home and let you know what happens.
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    I have the same problem and have been told about that problem, BUT the problem only occurs in safari, BUT whats wierd is that if I click where you to buy a single photo it will not add to my cart in safari, but if I click the buy photos then select one photo then it works and adds to my cart.

I have attached a pick and whats circled in red when I click that it wont add to my cart BUT when I click whats circled in green and the bulk buy photos window opens I simply click on 1 photo then it will add to my cart.

91737376-L.jpg

Now I know that in safari you say to have cookies on ok so right now my java is enable and to have cookies enable right now I have cookies enabled for "only from sites you navigate to" for some reason that wont let people buy a photo with the single add photo to cart option but it works if you choose the bulk photos option.

So I tried to set safari cookies option to "always" then it works. This is wierd because it does kind of work the other way.....ne_nau.gif

Hope you all understood that, it works in firefox fine no problems at all
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    I have the same problem and have been told about that problem, BUT the problem only occurs in safari, BUT whats wierd is that if I click where you to buy a single photo it will not add to my cart in safari, but if I click the buy photos then select one photo then it works and adds to my cart.

I have attached a pick and whats circled in red when I click that it wont add to my cart BUT when I click whats circled in green and the bulk buy photos window opens I simply click on 1 photo then it will add to my cart.

91737376-L.jpg

Now I know that in safari you say to have cookies on ok so right now my java is enable and to have cookies enable right now I have cookies enabled for "only from sites you navigate to" for some reason that wont let people buy a photo with the single add photo to cart option but it works if you choose the bulk photos option.

So I tried to set safari cookies option to "always" then it works. This is wierd because it does kind of work the other way.....ne_nau.gif

Hope you all understood that, it works in firefox fine no problems at all

Hi Ryan, for Safari, Cookies have to be enabled for all sites.
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    oh ok thanks alot
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    safari
    I'm pretty certain the default in Safari is for cookies to be disabled. Every single time I've had someone contact me about having trouble ordering, I ask, "Are you on a Mac using Safari?" The answer is always yes. Learn how to walk them through it (I think you click safari on the title bar, then preferences, then security, then enable cookies-- could be wrong, I'm on a PC right now). This is not a slam on safari users-- but I find the folks who contact me about this tend to be people who got their friend's old Mac or the Mac as a gift and they simply use the software already loaded on it (ie Safari). So you'll really need to walk them through it-- can't tell you how many people like ask me if they can just order the prints over the phone instead of my website-- but all of them have eventually figured out the website.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+