Options

Intervalometers are fun

Tom VervaekeTom Vervaeke Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited November 28, 2004 in Cameras
The new G6 has a feature I've wanted for a long time. A intervalometer. I tell it how often to snap a shot (1-60 minutes) and how many shots to take (up to the limit of the CF card) and then press Set. I then trip the shutter the first time and it does the rest.

At home on Sunday, watching football on the tube, I put the digi on a small tripod, pointed it at the cat who sleeps 99.9% of the time, and tripped the shutter. It focuses, determines shutter and aperature (I have in on P mode) and then goes dormant. The LCD goes dark but the camera stays on. Every 60 seconds it "wakes" up, repeats the focus, etc.. routine and snaps another photo.

After some quickie review the shots seem to be good. I'm using Large, Fine Jpegs and at 7.1 mp each shot is about 3mb. I haven't played much with the RAW mode yet but it would take 7mb RAW shots if I desired.

While taking pictures of my cat isn't the best use of the camera, taking detailed photos of wildlife, parties, plants, or even wrenching photos when I'm working on the bike would be useful, especially once my hands get nice and dirty.

Question: My D100 doesn't have this feature, but do any other P&S digis or DSLR's have this? I think it's pretty darn cool.

Also cool is the Canon remote that comes with this thing. Now on MC trips I can get pics of myself when riding solo. My plan is to put a Ram Ball mount on the Canon (via the tripod hole) and then fasten the G6 to my GS with a short RAM arm. I can then trip the shutter w/o having to push the shutter/self timer, etc..

Just rambling as I read the G6 manual.

Snowing, 14F degrees, 73.9% Humidity on a Colorado afternoon.

Tom

Comments

• Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    didn't know the G6 had that
    That is indeed a very cool feature bowdown.gif Canon! I'd love to see this feature in ANY camera :D
    Thanks for the heads-up, makes me wondering about my next P&S :D Can't take the 20D EVERYWHERE mwink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    That is indeed a very cool feature bowdown.gif Canon! I'd love to see this feature in ANY camera :D
    Thanks for the heads-up, makes me wondering about my next P&S :D Can't take the 20D EVERYWHERE mwink.gif
    Yeah, cameras are getting cooler and cooler as the days go by...I'm waiting for the digital, waist-level finder Hasselblad...it probably exists...don't tell me if it does...
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Yeah, cameras are getting cooler and cooler as the days go by...I'm waiting for the digital, waist-level finder Hasselblad...it probably exists...don't tell me if it does...

Just spend way into five figures and buy a digital back for a Hasselblad. deal.gif Hasselblad seems to be pursuing a more 35mm SLR feel with the new H1.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    My Canon S1 IS has an intervalometer.

I also have the TC-80N cable release for the DSLRs. In the manual it offers an intervalometer feature. I have not tried it yet.

I have tried EOS Remote Capture which allows me to tether my camera to the computer and use and intervalometer feature. It allows you to store images directly to the hard drive, allowing you up to 1999 images in a sequence. It does have a minimum of five seconds between shots (possible longer depending on your computer connection) so it can download the file. RC works with many Canon digital cameras, check to see if you have it in your EOS Viewer Utility.