Options

Feature request: safe deposit

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited November 29, 2004 in SmugMug Support
I already have accumulated a few bucks from my photo sales. I also got some referrals. However, when I ordered my own prints (thanks again for getting this done:thumb ) I have my credit card charged, even though I had more than enough in "smugbucks".:scratch
I was wondering: is it possible to introduce the option to pay with what I already rightfully own, but has not yet requested to be transferred to my bank account?
Thanks!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    I already have accumulated a few bucks from my photo sales. I also got some referrals. However, when I ordered my own prints (thanks again for getting this donethumb.gif ) I have my credit card charged, even though I had more than enough in "smugbucks".headscratch.gif
    I was wondering: is it possible to introduce the option to pay with what I already rightfully own, but has not yet requested to be transferred to my bank account?
    Thanks!
    While I would like the same thing, I don't think this would fly with the IRS. Technically we are contract employees, so yeah, I think this is out of smugmug's hands.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    Honestly confused..
    While I would like the same thing, I don't think this would fly with the IRS. Technically we are contract employees, so yeah, I think this is out of smugmug's hands.
    I think there is a genuine misunderstanding...
    1) It's MY money. I earned it.
    When you return things to a department store, sometimes you get credit vouchers (or "store credit"), and you can pay with them. This means my money is stored in that store and I can use it there at will.
    In this case I have my money stored at smugmug, and I'd like to use those "vouchers" to purchase certain smugmug service. Why is it any concern of IRS and why is it "out of smugmug hands"?
    2) "Contract employees"? You got me here, pardner..;-)
    I don't work for smugmug. I am what is normally called a "paying customer". I pay in return of services. What kind of employment are you taking about?
    --
    Cheers! :-)
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    . Why is it any concern of IRS and why is it "out of smugmug hands"?
    2) "Contract employees"? You got me here, pardner..;-)
    I don't work for smugmug. I am what is normally called a "paying customer". I pay in return of services. What kind of employment are you taking about?
    Ok, I'm not the best person to explain taxes, but it's something like this. You know how you had to file a W-9 with smugmug to get money from your print sales? That makes you a contract employee. It makes things so much easier this way, so it is good that smugmug does this. So, since you make this money as a contract employee, it is subject to taxes, but it won't be taxed until you get a paycheck. As such, I don't think the IRS would appreciate un-taxed money going from your paycheck to buy prints. BTW, making money from print sales may be more complicated than you would have though. You are going to have to fill out a 1040 (don't worry, unless you make more than $400 profit - don't foget to deduct equipment costs and depreciation - you won't get taxed on your sales money) and some other stuff. The IRS hotline should be able to help you out.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2004
    oh, that..
    Ok, Richard, I can see your point now, thank you very much for your explanation!thumb.gif
    I always thought it's $600 min, though, but I can be wrong..
    Anyways, I wish I can make $600 this (my very first smugmug) year;-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 28, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ok, Richard, I can see your point now, thank you very much for your explanation!thumb.gif
    I always thought it's $600 min, though, but I can be wrong..
    Anyways, I wish I can make $600 this (my very first smugmug) year;-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    Yes, I think Richard is right but it's also true that there is a $600 minimum. It's just that if we turned this on and you went over $600, it would get messy.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Yes, I think Richard is right but it's also true that there is a $600 minimum. It's just that if we turned this on and you went over $600, it would get messy.

Thanks,
    Baldy
    I thought for this up coming tax season it's a $400 dollar profit minimum, not $600. Anybody know for sure? The IRS told me $400.
    Richard
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2004
    No worries, mate:-)!
    Baldy wrote:

Thanks,
    Baldy
    As a husband with almost 20 years of experience, I can be totally fine with "No" as an answer ;-)

Cheers!1drink.gif