Options

Where do I get exhibit panels?

Stefanie LynnStefanie Lynn Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited September 6, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I am having a booth at our towns annual craft fair/show.

I need some suggestions on where & what to use as panels to hang some of my work that is inexpensive. I'm not selling prints, but doing it for exposure.

I have done search after search but can't seem to find any reasonably priced panels.

Even willing to make my own but not sure what to use.

All suggestions appreciaated.
Thanks
stefanielynnphotography.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    search for 'gridwall' in google
    I am having a booth at our towns annual craft fair/show.

I need some suggestions on where & what to use as panels to hang some of my work that is inexpensive. I'm not selling prints, but doing it for exposure.

I have done search after search but can't seem to find any reasonably priced panels.

Even willing to make my own but not sure what to use.

All suggestions appreciaated.
    Thanks
    stefanielynnphotography.smugmug.com

I've been in a bunch of shows where folks set up these gridwall panels. you can get bases so they can be free-standing or connect them together. They're pretty inexpensive.

Just one idea.

cheers,
    Trish
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    I am not sure what you consider reasonable, but here is one which is well known and popular.

Propanels Professional Panels for Professional Artists

Another option might be to look at e-bay, craigslist, or maybe you know someone who works for a company who may have some trade show displays they would be willing to lend out.

Sam
  • Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    You don't say whether the show is inside or outside and whether you are going to use a canopy or not.

I setup at outdoor carshows with a pop-up canopy and use the wire shelving pieces found at your home improvement centers. They come in varying widths and lengths, have wires spaced about an inch apart for adjustability, and don't catch the wind like solid panels do.

I use two six footers booked vertically at each corner and secure them using nylon tiewraps. 4 footers get hung horizontally from lightweight chains and S-hooks off the canopy frame. The 1 inch shelf lip acts as a support for the prints.

The shelving is light enough for one person to handle and compact for transport.

Just one of many alternatives.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    JBurt wrote:
    You don't say whether the show is inside or outside and whether you are going to use a canopy or not.

I setup at outdoor carshows with a pop-up canopy and use the wire shelving pieces found at your home improvement centers. They come in varying widths and lengths, have wires spaced about an inch apart for adjustability, and don't catch the wind like solid panels do.

I use two six footers booked vertically at each corner and secure them using nylon tiewraps. 4 footers get hung horizontally from lightweight chains and S-hooks off the canopy frame. The 1 inch shelf lip acts as a support for the prints.

The shelving is light enough for one person to handle and compact for transport.

Just one of many alternatives.

What brand? Do you have a link?

I have seen at some of our local farmers / art markets, where the artist was using an ez-up (brand) canopy with chicken wire strung around 3 sides and photos hung on the outside as well as inside depending on location of their canopy and what was surrounding it.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    What brand? Do you have a link?

I have seen at some of our local farmers / art markets, where the artist was using an ez-up (brand) canopy with chicken wire strung around 3 sides and photos hung on the outside as well as inside depending on location of their canopy and what was surrounding it.

Hi Art,
    The popup I got is a 10'x10' "QuickShade" brand with straight legs. I got it at Pep Boys one day as a close out for $99. This is my second season using it and it is holding up fine. Costco carries a good 10'x10' with side curtains for $199.

One tip when looking at canopies. Make sure the cover is either white or, preferably, doesn't let light through so your prints don't get a blue or (ugh) green cast to them.

I got my shelving at Home Depot. I don't know what the brand is but they sell them on a piece by piece basis. The shelves vary in length from 2' to 8' and widths up to 24". The price is/was less than $20 per on the 8 footers and less for the smaller sizes. They are white but could be painted any color. I leave the 1" lip to maintain rigidity ( I tried cutting one off.... mistake.:uhoh) I stand the six footers on end and connect them to the leg of the canopy. The 4 footers I hang from chains and use the lip as the shelf part. I can add and subtract depending on what my configuration is.

I also use tables so my hanging area is limited and this works for me.

Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    Here is a pic of my booth in the background. I suppose I should get a good pic but it hasn't been a priority.

My setup is focused on ease and minimum space. My mobile studio consists of 2 networked computers, 3 printers, the canopy, 4 tables, the shelving, a Honda 2000k generator, an auxilary 120v A/C unit, stocks of frames, and the required accessories. All packed into a Nissan Minivan with room for 3 people. Tight but servicable.

I had begun converting a vintage, Field and Stream, Class C motorhome but have since decided to convert a 27' Southwind Class A. I won't know what to do with all the room.

93454252-M.jpg

Basic but makin' changes