Options

DGrin and PBase img source change

Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
edited November 29, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Hi moderators/owners/programmers

This forum is suweet, but I have a question. I changed the image source of an image at pbase (so the link stays the same, but the image at that link changes) and people (including myself) are still seeing the original image. Do you use your own buffer to display the images?
Just wondering :D thanks for this awesome forum!
[EDIT]
Follow up: I've had contact with pbase and apparently there was a problem with direct linking at the time (took them around 2 days to clear it up). Thanks again for thinking along guys!!
[/EDIT]
*In my mind it IS real*
Michiel de Brieder
http://www.digital-eye.nl

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    Hi moderators/owners/programmers

This forum is suweet, but I have a question. I changed the image source of an image at pbase (so the link stays the same, but the image at that link changes) and people (including myself) are still seeing the original image. Do you use your own buffer to display the images?
    Just wondering :D thanks for this awesome forum!

is the post referring to the old file?

you can edit your post with a new url...
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    point is:
    the URL is the same. Only the source of the URL is changed.

It's a function of pbase to change an image, while the URL itself stays the same.
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    the URL is the same. Only the source of the URL is changed.

It's a function of pbase to change an image, while the URL itself stays the same.

thread link?
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    here goes:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4014
    thanks for the quick replies Andy!! The photo at the first post should show a B/W photo. I'm currently trying out something else.....
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    I couldn't see the photo. It's quite possible it was cached in your browser.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 28, 2004
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4014
    thanks for the quick replies Andy!! The photo at the first post should show a B/W photo. I'm currently trying out something else.....
    That's odd, Michiel, but I can't see an image on that post. If I enter the URL for the image at pbase in my browser address bar, I can get it.

Is external linking turned off or something? That would explain why you see the original, not the B&W, because your browser is bringing up the cached version since it can't fetch the current one.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    That's odd, Michiel, but I can't see an image on that post. If I enter the URL for the image at pbase in my browser address bar, I can get it.

Is external linking turned off or something? That would explain why you see the original, not the B&W, because your browser is bringing up the cached version since it can't fetch the current one.

that's my fault. i went and tried the rigth click, copy / paste the url from the pbase image, but that doesn't cut it. i edited michiel's post, and then copied the url, adding .jpg (the pbase-instructed method for linking) and now the color photo is BACK again :D oy vey

michiel, something's up with pbase ....
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2004
    Andy,
    Thanks, I'll contact PBASE!
    @other posters, thanks for thinking along guys!!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 29, 2004
    I could be wrong, but I believe the ability to change the image and have the same link to it invites The Law of Unintended Consequences into your life.

For one thing, it's hard to get the browser to understand that you want to fetch a new version because for all it knows, you're pointing to the old version since it's the old link. So it just pulls the old one off your hard disk from cache.

Also, suppose you forgot that you also linked the image to other forums. Or someone else did, which you don't know about. When you swap out the image, it may no longer match what you or someone else wrote in those other forums.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    I could be wrong, but I believe the ability to change the image and have the same link to it invites The Law of Unintended Consequences into your life.

For one thing, it's hard to get the browser to understand that you want to fetch a new version because for all it knows, you're pointing to the old version since it's the old link. So it just pulls the old one off your hard disk from cache.

Also, suppose you forgot that you also linked the image to other forums. Or someone else did, which you don't know about. When you swap out the image, it may no longer match what you or someone else wrote in those other forums.

This discussion is very complicated for me... it seems easy to upload here and take it back off. I never heard of Pbase...
    Why do it the hard way if it can be done in the easy way?
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2004
    Baldy wrote:

Well, for the first thing, there is definitely an error somewhere, because clearing cache and refreshing the page doesn't help. I can see where you are going, understand your reasoning, but there IS something wrong somewhere (inviting unintended consequences aside :D)

I keep an eye out for what I write in forums and which photos I use, so that's no biggie to me. As for other people using my images, well, my pbase site says they have to ask if they can use my images, if they don't, then I will not show anyone any consideration in that area. Plus, I would be a complete @ss if I swapped the original picture for something absolutely different, because then it would indeed not match one of my posts (I rarely change img sources after posting).

Thanks for your thoughts though Baldy, I appreciate it very much that even the forum owners take the time to review this :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2004
    Photocat,
    pbase is like smugmug, a photo hosting site. I upload my photos to that site, so I think it is a bit overdone to also upload them to DGrin.... ( a waste of space, as my mother would say :D)
    Ciao
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder