Path through the park

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited December 8, 2004 in Landscapes
On thursdays my daughter goes to athletics training, I meet her there, watch, and then give her a lift home. I got there before her last night and tried some night shots whle I was waiting.
Its really tough working with the dr when its so dark with bright lights. To get the lights exposed properly everything else is so black, so when you try to blend the exposures it doesn't work too well. Anyway this is a blend of an exposure selected for the path, a hugely different (dark) exposure for the lights, and a levels adjusted layer. Converted to a duotone and some grain added.... any tips here would be apreciated :thumb
11866925-L.jpg

Comments

• mgoundmgound Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    Very nice. The 2nd light not being lit makes it very interesting.
    Land on your right foot. Don't forget it!
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    Thanks mgound thumb.gif

just messing really but here's another one of the same park, on the same night.

12034654-L.jpg
  • danmandanman Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks mgound thumb.gif

just messing really but here's another one of the same park, on the same night.
    This one is excellent.

Danny
  • DVDRDVDR Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    On thursdays my daughter goes to athletics training, I meet her there, watch, and then give her a lift home. I got there before her last night and tried some night shots whle I was waiting.
    Its really tough working with the dr when its so dark with bright lights. To get the lights exposed properly everything else is so black, so when you try to blend the exposures it doesn't work too well. Anyway this is a blend of an exposure selected for the path, a hugely different (dark) exposure for the lights, and a levels adjusted layer. Converted to a duotone and some grain added.... any tips here would be apreciated thumb.gif
    11866925-L.jpg
    Like the effects of the lights...black/white really adds to the shot
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    DVDR wrote:
    Like the effects of the lights...black/white really adds to the shot
    really nice shots.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 5, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Its really tough working with the dr when its so dark with bright lights. To get the lights exposed properly everything else is so black, so when you try to blend the exposures it doesn't work too well. Anyway this is a blend of an exposure selected for the path, a hugely different (dark) exposure for the lights, and a levels adjusted layer. Converted to a duotone and some grain added.... any tips here would be apreciated thumb.gif
    11866925-L.jpg

I think you have done a very good job here. I had the same experience when I was shooting the George Rogers Clark Memorial in Vincennes after dark - not at twilight, because I wanted the lights on the Memorial to standout.

Since you are an Englishman,Gubbs, you are probably not familiar with the significance of this memorial. This memorial commemorates the defeat of a British Garrison here at Fort Sackville Feb 25, 1779, which secured the Old Northwest Territory 2 years prior to Cornwallis surrender at Yorktown.
    http://www.nps.gov/gero/
    8633365-M.jpg

The highlights and the darker areas just could not be captured with one exposure. Even in RAW. And blending the extreme exposures is also less than ideal in my hands.

I think the best solution for you, probably, is to shoot at twilight or dusk, when the light from the streetlights is more balanced with the existing light. But this may only exist for a few minutes in the evening right after sunset.

In my image twilight completely washed out the architectural lighting highlighting the memorials walls. This lighting was not even visible to my eyes until darkness had fallen. No easy answer I guess.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Just been cruising through your SM gubbs.....very cool shots...thanks thumb.gif
    edited December 8, 2004
    Thanks for the comments Danny, DVDR and Imax, sorry I've been slow to respond I missed those thumb.gif
    edited December 8, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think you have done a very good job here. I had the same experience when I was shooting the George Rogers Clark Memorial in Vincennes after dark - not at twilight, because I wanted the lights on the Memorial to standout.

Since you are an Englishman,Gubbs, you are probably not familiar with the significance of this memorial. This memorial commemorates the defeat of a British Garrison here at Fort Sackville Feb 25, 1779, which secured the Old Northwest Territory 2 years prior to Cornwallis surrender at Yorktown.
    http://www.nps.gov/gero/
    8633365-S.jpg

The highlights and the darker areas just could not be captured with one exposure. Even in RAW. And blending the extreme exposures is also less than ideal in my hands.

I think the best solution for you, probably, is to shoot at twilight or dusk, when the light from the streetlights is more balanced with the existing light. But this may only exist for a few minutes in the evening right after sunset.

In my image twilight completely washed out the architectural lighting highlighting the memorials walls. This lighting was not even visible to my eyes until darkness had fallen. No easy answer I guess.
    Thanks for pointing out a British defeat :D

I think your right about twighlight shooting , but its not an easy option at the moment, sunrise is 07:56 (I start work at 08:00) and sunset is 15:56. Hours of daylight coupled with the rain and that work thing are making shooting difficult...
    Thanks for the advice and comments.

Really like your shot, is that the same place as the Col Vigo monument, ah I think I can see him in the other picture (should have won imo thumb.gif, got my vote anyway!!)
    8773391-S.jpg
    edited December 8, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Just been cruising through your SM gubbs.....very cool shots...thanks thumb.gif
    Thanks for looking mate, much apreciated thumb.gif