Options

Canon 580EX $361 at Dell.com

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited November 29, 2004 in Flea Market
I saw the 580EX for $361 at Dell.com and thought I would pass it along. I don't know if there are any catches, but it looks like a straight up deal. I don't know how long it will be there. Very tempting.

More info here.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 25, 2004
    I think Canon has a $20.00 rebate too.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2004
    %^$%**(&^^(_)*!! dell
    patch29 wrote:
    I saw the 580EX for $361 at Dell.com and thought I would pass it along. I don't know if there are any catches, but it looks like a straight up deal. I don't know how long it will be there. Very tempting.

More info here.

i have bought hundreds of computers from dell over the years, for business and personal - they are great in that department.

i bought my ipod from dell - they were great in that department.

for camera gear - they are so so in my opinion. they come up with these great prices, coupons, stackable deals, etc etc and then you get in the looooooooong queue of backorder hell. i ordered a 10-22 ef-s lens back in september, for $600-ish ($200 below other retailers). i get emails 2x per week "your item is backordered, please reply if you want to still receive this item"... meanwhile, folks that have paid a higher price, later than my order, are receiving theirs.

dell: love 'em or hate 'em. if i get the lens before xmas, great - if not, i'll just cancel and get from b&h, pay the tax etc and have what i want.

all this said, hopefully they have many units of the 580ex in stock, as i use the flash and it's great!
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2004
    andy wrote:
    dell: love 'em or hate 'em. if i get the lens before xmas, great - if not, i'll just cancel and get from b&h, pay the tax etc and have what i want.

all this said, hopefully they have many units of the 580ex in stock, as i use the flash and it's great!

I figured there might be a catch. Thanks for the heads up.

I saw a 580 the other day and really liked it a lot. There is one in my future, but I might wait for it.

Bummer about the tax at B+H, that is one of the bonuses for most of us. I am sure someday the states will catch up.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2004
    not necessarily the catch ... but ..
    patch29 wrote:
    I figured there might be a catch. Thanks for the heads up.

I saw a 580 the other day and really liked it a lot. There is one in my future, but I might wait for it.

Bummer about the tax at B+H, that is one of the bonuses for most of us. I am sure someday the states will catch up.

just something to consider. it's worth a try, always, esp to save over $100 on this flash. i paid $450 i think? sheesh :D
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2004
    andy wrote:
    just something to consider. it's worth a try, always, esp to save over $100 on this flash. i paid $450 i think? sheesh :D

I know it is a good deal, but I know I should wait. Where is wxwax my voice of reason when I start to think about spending money? ne_nau.gifdeal.gifumph.gif
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I know it is a good deal, but I know I should wait. Where is wxwax my voice of reason when I start to think about spending money? ne_nau.gifdeal.gifumph.gif

sid, who has recently bought a new dslr, and a 35 f/1.4L? you mean that guy???? lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2004
    andy wrote:
    sid, who has recently bought a new dslr, and a 35 f/1.4L? you mean that guy???? lol3.gif

Yeah, him. umph.gif He usually tries to point out my spending habits to me, hoping to help me not spend any more. I have almost paid off the two mk II's I bought this year, plus some other stuff and whatever remained on the previous DSRL/Canon switch. I am sure once I pay it off, I will go and by a new G5 and Cinema Display. I am a hopeless spender when it comes to cameras and recreational equipment. I am pretty tight on everything else. Did I mention I am going to Flagstaff in the next week to by a mountain bike? rolleyes1.gif At least I can head down to Sedona and get in some good riding, maybe a few photos too. Maybe wxwax will buy a photo so I can write off my trip. headscratch.gif:D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 25, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Yeah, him. umph.gif He usually tries to point out my spending habits to me, hoping to help me not spend any more. I have almost paid off the two mk II's I bought this year, plus some other stuff and whatever remained on the previous DSRL/Canon switch. I am sure once I pay it off, I will go and by a new G5 and Cinema Display. I am a hopeless spender when it comes to cameras and recreational equipment. I am pretty tight on everything else. Did I mention I am going to Flagstaff in the next week to by a mountain bike? rolleyes1.gif At least I can head down to Sedona and get in some good riding, maybe a few photos too. Maybe wxwax will buy a photo so I can write off my trip. headscratch.gif:D

Patch rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I have not done any better than you this year either in not spending, but we only live once. But you are gonna LOVE a G5 with a Cinema display.
    Where are you going riding around Sedona? I still ride my 1986 Rockhopper from Specialized. It's been a great bike, even tho I also own a Canondale front suspension bike.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited November 26, 2004
    Patch, like pathfinder says, you only live once.

But, waiting until you're debt free isn't such a bad thing. You'll probably
    pay more in interest than you'll save from Dell if you pull the trigger now.

Enjoy your time in Sedona!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Patch, like pathfinder says, you only live once.

But, waiting until you're debt free isn't such a bad thing. You'll probably
    pay more in interest than you'll save from Dell if you pull the trigger now.

Enjoy your time in Sedona!

Ian

The one thing I do have is a very good interest rate. It is 1.9%, almost free money, so that just makes it more tempting, but watching all the shows on how credit card companies bump up rates. I worry about them pulling something on me and bumping me to 25% and being really stuck. I don't have a lot of work the next few month so I am probably going to defer spending on a computer or camera gear until February. Hopefully business will pick up by then. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Patch rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I have not done any better than you this year either in not spending, but we only live once. But you are gonna LOVE a G5 with a Cinema display.
    Where are you going riding around Sedona? I still ride my 1986 Rockhopper from Specialized. It's been a great bike, even tho I also own a Canondale front suspension bike.

I went to the Apple store and saw the 30" the other day. Wow that is huge, but with a price to match.

I don't know where I am going riding yet. I have only driven by Sedona in the past. The guy I am going to buy the bike from in Flagstaff suggested it and I have to say it sounds like a great idea. I wish I had someone to ride with, but nobody I know can go. I also thought about going north to maob. ne_nau.gif Then yesterday I see I-70 has a big closure due to a rock slide. I don't feel like getting stuck in CO, so maybe a southern route back and go through Big Bend NP?

My old mountain bike has a very old front suspension fork, so it barely has any travel. The new one is a Rock Lobster custom frame and the fork has five inches of travel. eek7.gif It should be fun. I am looking forward to getting out of town.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2004
    andy wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

1DsMkII.... 1DsmkII.... hoooo, hoooo, can you hear the ghosts of B&H haunting you? lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    patch29 wrote:

My old mountain bike has a very old front suspension fork, so it barely has any travel. The new one is a Rock Lobster custom frame and the fork has five inches of travel. eek7.gif It should be fun. I am looking forward to getting out of town.
    In other words, a vital purchase. naughty.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

1DsMkII.... 1DsmkII.... hoooo, hoooo, can you hear the ghosts of B&H haunting you? lol3.gif

finger has been hovering over "enter" for days now. tell you what though: after shooting this

11800349-S.jpg
    • edge softness seems to be an issue, even with really good glass
    • file sizes are huge and i think i'd need an upgrade to my 'puter
    • it's less portable - i carry my 20d + 35L everyday, everywhere
    • it's heavier, too

so what's it got that i'd really dig?
    • my lenses are my lenses. and i shoot wide, so that's good :D
    • as a landscaper, i think the extra resolution kicks butt for fine details
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    Are the soft edges endemic to the new Canon SLRs? The unprocessed pics from my 1DmkII are also a little soft, and always need sharpening. I was told this was a deliberate move by Canon, to apply as little processing as possible to the initial file. ne_nau.gif I dunno.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    In other words, a vital purchase. naughty.gif

rolleyes1.gif

I like to call it preventive health care. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Are the soft edges endemic to the new Canon SLRs? The unprocessed pics from my 1DmkII are also a little soft, and always need sharpening. I was told this was a deliberate move by Canon, to apply as little processing as possible to the initial file. ne_nau.gif I dunno.

I think Canon added a heavier anti-aliasing filter to that camera to reduce moire when they packed more pixels in a small sensor. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I think Canon added a heavier anti-aliasing filter to that camera to reduce moire when they packed more pixels in a small sensor. ne_nau.gif
    Canon does less sharpening "in camera" for the 1DsMII & 1DMII on purpose. They assume pros would rather do that in post. Once sharpened, a file cannot be unsharpened. Their consumer grade P&S camera have even more in camera sharpening than the prosumer 10D/20D. The assume that the usual P&S owner doesn't care to post process images. There is a good article about this from Canon somewhere. I'll try and find the link when I get home later this week.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com