Options

I am NOT a terrorist!

Stunt ClownStunt Clown Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited February 14, 2004 in The Big Picture
It is amazing to me how the act of photography is considered a suspicious activity.
I have only been shooting with a dslr for a couple of months now but I have had several run-ins with security guards and (as of this morning) customs agents.

These encounters have typically gone along the lines of:
"Hey, what are you doing?"
"I'm taking some photographs of ..... (hotel, atrium, toll booth)"
"Why are you doing that?"
"My hobby is photography and this looks interesting"
"Right..Stop taking pictures..you know since 911........"
"OK" and I start packing up.. never argue, always polite.

The one that amazed me the most was a security guard in the atrium of a downtown hotel. I walked in and sought her out immediately. I asked if it would be OK if I took some photos of this cool looking atrium. She responds that as long a I don't use a tripod that would be OK. So, I start taking a some shots with my wide angle of the glass ceiling of this atrium becuase you can see the surronding buildings through it.
She then comes over and says that since I'm taking pictures of the pipes and structures that this is no longer OK. Pack up and leave.

Man... how frustrating.

Any advice form those more experienced in how to handle these situations and still be able to shoot buildings ?

Thanks

Did manage to get this shot in the atrium before being shut down.:D

2396722-O.jpg
-Pete-

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2004
    Its what terrorism really is....changing your life through fear.

I pretty well had to stop my pinhole photography of buildings/structures as my cameras are home made boxes...jams tins...tobacco tins etc. My exposures are up to 8 mins & once i have the camera in place burning an image i just sit & wait. I was stopped twice also & once asked to open the box. I told them it would ruin my film, eventually got out of it but glad it didnt develop further as i wouldnt have backed down for that shot.