Options

First Wedding....

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited September 8, 2006 in Weddings
...as the main photographer for a wedding through the studio. I've done my own weddings, but when working through the studio the last couple years, I was always the "photo journalist". The second shooter part of a two photographer team.

I was plenty nervous leading up to this. Everything is the same -- EXCEPT -- now I do the posed shots with lighting. The worry was wasted as the day went very well. Most of all because the bride and family were fantastic to work with.

Gallery

93007756-M.jpg

I'm thinking that I get to claim this shot as an "original". The groom works for International, and had this big honkin' truck for them to ride off in.

93006494-M.jpg

When we got to the park to take photos and I walked by and saw my own reflection, inspiration hit me. They got a kick out of me laying on the sidewalk to get the shot.

93014767-M.jpg

As I'm not the photo-journalist on this wedding....I get to have the bride and groom look at me -- YEAH! But I also had to come up with all the shots......and I was certainly feeling the pressure.

93015719-M.jpg

This shot is _barely_ acceptable. I ruined this whole set -- a wonderful set with the bride sitting in the grass. I was focusing so much on setting up the shot that I didn't notice that I overexposed the entire set. <sigh>

93017498-M.jpg

Fortunately, that was the "big mistake" of the day. The rest of the shoot went well. I was dog tired at the end of this 13 hour day....which followed the 10 hour wedding the day before.

At the end of the night the groom tells me "I'm going to be telling everyone not to just pick the studio you work for, but you specifically. My bride has great taste and she was the one who picked you based on your work". So I kinded floated all the way home :)

Gallery

Lee

Comments

• Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    At the end of the night the groom tells me "I'm going to be telling everyone not to just pick the studio you work for, but you specifically. My bride has great taste and she was the one who picked you based on your work". So I kinded floated all the way home :)

Gallery

Lee[/quote]

How wonderful for you!!! Congratulations on your fine, fine work! So you must tell me......did YOU enjoy the experience of being the main photographer? Would you love to do it again?

Sometimes one wedding is all it takes for a photographer to realize that this is not for them.
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    How wonderful for you!!! Congratulations on your fine, fine work! So you must tell me......did YOU enjoy the experience of being the main photographer? Would you love to do it again?

Sometimes one wedding is all it takes for a photographer to realize that this is not for them.

I sure hope to be doing that again. There are definately advantages to being the pj shooter and part of a team. Less pressure, more time to look for those unique and special shots.

But I'll take the control offered to the main photographer, and of course, the money is better too.

92989194-M.jpg

Figuring out how to setup a large group in a small room -- stuff like that -- is part of the challenge/joy.

93009637-M.jpg

Now the park was where I really enjoyed being "the man". On the one hand, I have to come up with the creative posing ideas. And this shot is one that demonstrates that I have a LOT to work on in that area. But at least I get to have them looking at me when I want them to. The poor pj shooter is stuck with getting the "alternate angles".

And I get to stand in the prime spots during the ceremony. So yes -- the extra hours and extra work are rewarded financially and creatively. But it is a LOT of extra work and pressure. I can totally understand why some would conclude it's not for them.

Lee
  • Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Well I must say that your photos are wonderful and you can tell that eveyone was real comfortable with you and vice versa.

I wish you all the continued success and look forward to seeing more of your work!

Heather
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Looks like you did a great job! Congrats! clap.gif
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Nice shots. I love the first one.
  • Options
    Kelowna PicmanKelowna Picman Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    Great work! I too, love the artistic merit of the first shot...VER CREATIVE IDEA!

From my wife, quote "those are nice", and she's a good judge...Laughing.gif...

Would love to see some more.thumb.gif
    A picture is worth a thousands words...