Saturday in the ATL

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited December 6, 2004 in Landscapes
After the rain went through on Saturday, it was time to get out. First stop was at the bike dealership to get a new battery installed. After that, a new housing development downtown... row houses going for premium prices near Georgia Tech. Then a bit of a wander in Midtown. In other words, a pot pourri.

This is the road with the new housing, just after the rain had rolled through.

11968183-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    This is the same road, different perspective. You can see the row of houses... that's what's been bugging me. I have yet to get a shot that captures the flow of the row up the hill. I think I need a bigger boat.

11969272-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited November 28, 2004
    This is looking down the stoops of the row houses. All in a row, as it were. I have another version of this that I'll post later. It's one one those deals where you can't decide which is more effective (assuming that either is.)

11969570-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    This is looking down the stoops of the row houses. All in a row, as it were. I have another version of this that I'll post later. It's one one those deals where you can't decide which is more effective (assuming that either is.)

11969570-S.jpg

Great shots waxy - I think I prefer the drama of the B&W image with the sky, but it may not be the best for demonstraiting the "row after row" effect you are shooting for. This image may be better at demonstating the row after row theme. But I prefer the first........... ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 28, 2004
    OK, now it's after sunset in Midtown. Left the bike at a Starbucks so I could get my exercise (how many calories are in a vinti Chai Tea?) Right around the block is an alleyway with these lights.

11985889-L.jpg
    Sid.
    edited November 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great shots waxy - I think I prefer the drama of the B&W image with the sky, but it may not be the best for demonstraiting the "row after row" effect you are shooting for. This image may be better at demonstating the row after row theme. But I prefer the first........... ne_nau.gif
    Thanks Pathfinder. You wouldn't believe how many ways I've shot those houses. I'm going back with the big guns - the 70-200 and the 300. I reckon the ol' telescopic foreshortening (compressing the elements) might do the trick. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    Very interesting views.I enjoyed them allthumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 28, 2004
    I was trying a similar thing the other day. I used my 16-35 to capture this.
    But it doesn't flow like I wanted either.

11846252-M.jpg

I wonder if it would be better shot with a 200?

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2004
    oh i dig this, a lot!
    wxwax wrote:

11969570-S.jpg

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss thumb.gif

man i wish i had this one in my bag! nice on, sid. really.
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    Great set Sid! I love the 1st in B&W!!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    11968183-Th.jpg11969570-Th.jpg

Really like these 2 Sid clap.gif
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    11968183-Th.jpg11969570-Th.jpg

Really like these 2 Sid clap.gif
    I would second that and also throw this one in - good stuff

11985889-Th.jpg
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2004
    Great shots Sid.. you've outdone yerself..clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    edited November 29, 2004
    Thanks guys.

Lynn, you may connect with what I'm about to say. These images were all taken while I was feeling in a photographic funk. I had taken a couple of hundred images in Baltimore and Atlantic City last week and didn't really like any of the shots. So I was in a shooting funk, and shot this stuff just to get out of the house. It's thrilling when shots work out unexpectedly.

But what this really reinforces, yet again umph.gif, is that you're nothing without lighting. It's all well and good to wander around with a camera, but if you haven't planned for good light, or you're not lucky enough to stumble into it, then your shots will usually not be effective. I learn this lesson over and over, every time the hard way. *sigh*
    Sid.
    edited November 29, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I was trying a similar thing the other day. I used my 16-35 to capture this.
    But it doesn't flow like I wanted either.

11846252-Th.jpg

I wonder if it would be better shot with a 200?

ian

You're trying to capture the stairs as well as the foreground? Hmmmm.
    Sid.
    edited November 29, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    In a word, yes. What I was trying to get was the feeling the architects
    created--the flow of public space into the private space. and the stairs are
    a waterfall with very little water.

I'll probably go back next weekend and try some more things.

Ian
    edited November 30, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    In a word, yes. What I was trying to get was the feeling the architects
    created--the flow of public space into the private space. and the stairs are
    a waterfall with very little water.

I'll probably go back next weekend and try some more things.

Ian
    Interesting challenge. Can you visualize what the final shot should look like? Sometimes I can. Often I can't. That's when I shoot the thing six ways from Sunday.
    Sid.
    edited November 30, 2004
    Just for fun while they were working on my bike, I played with depth of field on the 1.4 lens.

12074344-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    This one is beautiful...

11985889-L.jpg
    edited November 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Interesting challenge. Can you visualize what the final shot should look like? Sometimes I can. Often I can't. That's when I shoot the thing six ways from Sunday.
    I can sometimes and sometimes I know what I want to do but not how to do
    it.

One thing I think would help (oddly enough) is a ladder for a change in perspective.
    And if I had the guts to fly my camera, I'd try one of those kite/ballon setups
    too :D

Nice shot of the bike too!

Ian
    edited November 30, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    One thing I think would help (oddly enough) is a ladder for a change in perspective.
    I could have used one in Atlantic City, great but obscured night shot of a hotel with searchlights beaming from the roof. BTW, anyone who's curious about Atlantic City as a shooting opportunity, save your money. The boardwalk is very disappointing, and no piers are open.

Damonff, thanks, I appreciate the compliment.
    Sid.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

I think you may be onto something with a ladder Ian. I have often thought that an old bread truck with a ladder to the roof of the truck and even above might be a real advantage for some landscape imagery. :D
    A telephoto will compress the space and bring the water on the steps closer in, if that is what you are desiring. A wide angle will make it appear even farther away, of course.
    Waxy, your comment about lighting echoes what I have had to relearn over and over. Find the light, then find the subject. Not vice versa.

Lay photography magazines rhapsodize over new equipment and rarely really talk about lighting. Pro magazines frequently discuss lighting set ups, and less frequently discuss new hardware. Hmmmm maybe those pros are onto something, ya think? :D:D:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 30, 2004
    Waxy - those row house shots are great! thumb.gif

I used a ladder for perspective once. Andy (and guest judge) didn't like it that week...
    6683374-M.jpg

:D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Sid ,

All very good-I particularly like the first one-very atmospheric and a little scary-it would be hard to feel like an individual living in a row like that.

Greg
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    These are all great shots. Wxwax, you're takin' pics on a whole different level, man! Those are print-ready, fabuloso pics! Congrats thumb.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

edited December 5, 2004
    Yesterday I wandered back to the same area. I'm actually tring to get a shot that juxtaposes the wooden row homes with a gleaming office building. I missed the light, though.

But with digital you can blow frames without cost, so naturally I wandered a bit looking for something. This is the only something that was worthwhile, same thought as earlier in this thread, but this time from the other end of the arches.

12311176-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    yowsa!
    wxwax wrote:
    12311176-L.jpg
    This is IT as far as I'm concerned!! I like the B/W with the streetlights also very much, and the other shots are very cool but this one bowdown.gif It has an essence of photographic art at such a high level.... I am honestly, seriously, undoubtedly, utterly impressed, wow! If this was in my portfolio, I'd be a happy guy :D
    Thanks for sharing, you have a very good photographic eye!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
    edited December 6, 2004
    That's very flattering, Michiel, thank you very much. Needless to say, I think of myself as a stumbler and bumbler who occasionally lucks into stuff.
    Sid.
  • mgoundmgound Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Nice shot Sid! everything works in this shot
    Land on your right foot. Don't forget it!