Options

I just bought a canon eos 3, im still high!

Femme_PhotaleFemme_Photale Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited November 30, 2004 in Cameras
Ok Ill admit I dont know a whole lot about equipment and what took me a year to save I just blew in less than a couple of hours but Im still glowing with happiness...I also bought a tripod and a lightmeter...Im just a learner at the moment and am applying for a course next year, but im very enthuastic so does anyone else here use this camera...? And did I get the right advice as in whats your opinion of this equipment? My light meter is a minolta auto meter VF...and tripod a manfrotto 055 pro with a 322rc2 head? and the lens I got was a canon
cf/2.8L USM EF24mm-70mm....:thumb
There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2004
    Ok Ill admit I dont know a whole lot about equipment and what took me a year to save I just blew in less than a couple of hours but Im still glowing with happiness...I also bought a tripod and a lightmeter...Im just a learner at the moment and am applying for a course next year, but im very enthuastic so does anyone else here use this camera...? And did I get the right advice as in whats your opinion of this equipment? My light meter is a minolta auto meter VF...and tripod a manfrotto 055 pro with a 322rc2 head? and the lens I got was a canon
    cf/2.8L USM EF24mm-70mm....thumb.gif
    Most of us here have gone digital in a big way of course. That said, the EOS 3 is a fine body (note 1) with the eye focus and other advanced features. And the 24-70 2.8L is a great lens. I have one and it is the lens that is most likely to be on the camera at any given time. Good choice! The meter is an excellent meter but I think the purchase was premature. Even if you are planning to shoot manual mode extensively, the in camera metering is really quite good. You do not mention strobes or flashes so I wonder how much use you will get from the meter for the first year or so. The tripod and head are also excellent choices with all the necessary features.

#1 The only caveat is that the EOS 3 is not suitable for IR because of an internal film sensor.

Overall great choices and welcome
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2004
    Yes the biggest dilemma I had was to digital or not to digital, my course requires we have a film camera and seeings though I cannot have both just yet I figured film was the more practical choice for my situation...also I understand its more expensive to get digital and be on par with the quality?
    The other 'dilemma' was needs now vs needs later and we came to the conclusion Id rather buy good now so I can 'grow' into my equipment so to speak rather than outgrow it and spend twice as much in the end...my goodness I dont even want to think about flash/strobe and what have you yet...my first priority is to know how to point and shoot with what I have...its all so overwhelming!

Can I ask what is IR??? And thanks for the reassurence!:D Oh Im so silly I have just realised I have actually joined a DIGITAL photography forum! Der!! dont mind me....!
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2004
    Yes the biggest dilemma I had was to digital or not to digital, my course requires we have a film camera and seeings though I cannot have both just yet I figured film was the more practical choice for my situation...also I understand its more expensive to get digital and be on par with the quality?
    That is true but in your shoes I might have opted for the film version of the Rebel which is amazingly inexpensive to cover the course, skipped the meter and continued to save for a dSLR after the 1st semester. Digital gives you much greater shooting experience. I ti not unusual to shoot hundreds or even thousands of shots with digital in a day as you learn and experiment. The material cost of film adds up to more than the cost of the dSLR very quickly if you did the same. As for quality, if you are not going to larger than 30x45cm (12"x18") then it probably is already there.
    The other 'dilemma' was needs now vs needs later and we came to the conclusion Id rather buy good now so I can 'grow' into my equipment so to speak rather than outgrow it and spend twice as much in the end...my goodness I dont even want to think about flash/strobe and what have you yet...my first priority is to know how to point and shoot with what I have...its all so overwhelming!
    My comment about flash/strobe was because I think you will not use the meter much until you have made purchases in that area also.
    Can I ask what is IR??? And thanks for the reassurence!:D Oh Im so silly I have just realised I have actually joined a DIGITAL photography forum! Der!! dont mind me....!
    Ok, you just made a moderately old guy giggle.... IR is Infra Red or heat. If you look through the threads here you will see some remarkable examples, particulary by Andy
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2004
    Hahah yeh after I wrote that I was reading through my manual and I came across the section that explains how you cant use i/r film because of the sensor and I figured thats what you were talking about 11doh.gif .

Now that Ive just bought film Im coming across digital everywhere...all the mags in my newsagency are digital...and everyones looking into buying digital cameras but I cant bare the thought I havent made the right decision, itb be too painful!
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2004
    Hahah yeh after I wrote that I was reading through my manual and I came across the section that explains how you cant use i/r film because of the sensor and I figured thats what you were talking about 11doh.gif .

Now that Ive just bought film Im coming across digital everywhere...all the mags in my newsagency are digital...and everyones looking into buying digital cameras but I cant bare the thought I havent made the right decision, itb be too painful!
    Well you will have to have a dslr real-soon-now cause thats where things are going. But you have one really nice film camera.
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    I actuallly was in the boat as you this summer. I have been using my Canon Powershot G3 for a year and wanted to move towards a SLR. I wanted to keep my lens from my Canon body but wasn't sure if I should move towards digital instead? Should I buy a Nikon D70 or just buy a new Canon body to replace my cracked A2E. After some searching and testing of the cameras in person I decided upon a used EOS 3 body with PB-E2 power drive from KEH. I also bought a 50mm 1.4 lens with a 100-300mm 5.6 lens, after everything the total price was about the same for a new EOS 3 body.

The camera is great and the focusing is very fast with a fast lens. When focusing with the 100-300mm lens it's much slower and has to "hunt" before locking on a subject. This proved to be a minor problem with photographing fast objects.

Another problem I had is the film scanning to digital. The cost of the film body with a decent quality film scanner is the same as a new digital body. After figuring this pricing I tried using places like Dale Labs to scan my negatives but the quality wasn't as close as I expected.

Here's some scans for viewing.

Local photo shop 300dpi scan

5977880-M.jpg

Another 300 dpi

5978029-M.jpg

Dale labs scan

7973780-M.jpg

I still enjoy shooting with film especially b&w. My friend has a lab were I can develop my print and control the whole process. In the next year or so I'm going to go digital for my next SLR, possibly a 20D. I just don't like spending $25 per 36 pictures. :cry

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.