Options

OMG Fish.. How ya been, you haven't posted in 4 months, we were wondering what happened to you.

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited December 1, 2004 in The Big Picture
OMG Fish.. How ya been, you haven't posted in 4 months, we were wondering what happened to you.

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:

Has it really been 4 months? My how time flies when you work in a coal mine ;)

Seriously, I've been pretty dang busy with work (running a new program with very aggressive goals), so I haven't had a whole lot of spare time for photography or motorcycling, let alone internet posting.

The good news is that I've swapped out four wintel boxes for four new Macs on my home LAN, and I am finally at peace with the computing gods. It's actually a very boring (but funny to me) story how this happened. When I won the work assignment, I found myself spending a lot of time in airports and taxis, and the Dell Pariah 8300 (TM) that I was lugging around was killing me. Plus, since it was about 18 months old, it was pretty sluggish. So I went shopping for a lighter, better laptop and ended up with a 15" G4 Powerbook. I absolutely LOVED it. I loved working on it, carrying it, playing with it, doing the iLife stuff (iPhoto, iDVD, iTunes, etc), so much that I jumped on the G5 iMac bandwagon and ordered a 20" superdrive job right after the Paris announcement to take over from my homebrew AMD box as my primary workstation. As the positive buzz started flowing in, fishwife didn't want to be left out, so I ordered a 17" superdrive for her too. After both iMacs were received and networked, it didn't take long to realize that literally ALL of my non-fun computing time was spent trying to get the last remaining wintel box (Dell Pariah) to play nice with the Macs and printers. The latest Apple Qpromo had eMacs for $650, so the kids got an early holiday present and I no longer have to deal with any Microsoft BS (including the viruses that go along with it) on my network.
    clap.gif

The bad news: I've got two dead motorcycle batteries umph.gif

So what's new around here? Kinda looks the same mwink.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 12, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Has it really been 4 months? My how time flies when you work in a coal mine ;)

Seriously, I've been pretty dang busy with work (running a new program with very aggressive goals), so I haven't had a whole lot of spare time for photography or motorcycling, let alone internet posting.

The good news is that I've swapped out four wintel boxes for four new Macs on my home LAN, and I am finally at peace with the computing gods. It's actually a very boring (but funny to me) story how this happened. When I won the work assignment, I found myself spending a lot of time in airports and taxis, and the Dell Pariah 8300 (TM) that I was lugging around was killing me. Plus, since it was about 18 months old, it was pretty sluggish. So I went shopping for a lighter, better laptop and ended up with a 15" G4 Powerbook. I absolutely LOVED it. I loved working on it, carrying it, playing with it, doing the iLife stuff (iPhoto, iDVD, iTunes, etc), so much that I jumped on the G5 iMac bandwagon and ordered a 20" superdrive job right after the Paris announcement to take over from my homebrew AMD box as my primary workstation. As the positive buzz started flowing in, fishwife didn't want to be left out, so I ordered a 17" superdrive for her too. After both iMacs were received and networked, it didn't take long to realize that literally ALL of my non-fun computing time was spent trying to get the last remaining wintel box (Dell Pariah) to play nice with the Macs and printers. The latest Apple Qpromo had eMacs for $650, so the kids got an early holiday present and I no longer have to deal with any Microsoft BS (including the viruses that go along with it) on my network.
    clap.gif

The bad news: I've got two dead motorcycle batteries umph.gif

So what's new around here? Kinda looks the same mwink.gif

Welcome back, Fish! Fish - this is sooooooo funny!! Great minds really do think alike I guess. I drop kicked my Gateway P4 after Service Pack 2 arrived. I discussed it in the accessories thread here on dgrin before I made the jump, but jump I did - and I have not looked back either. NO viruses! Is that cool or what. Internet radio that REALLY works like FM.
    G5 4Gb Ram 23 " LCD. Whoo Hooo. I can edit in PS, surf the web, copy files , and listen to Internet Radio simultaneously and not even slow down.

For those who do not know - a while back - months - years? Fish and I had a long discussion re Canon 10D's and we both ended up in the white lens club - ergo my comment of great minds thinking alike. Maybe we just read too much Walter Mossberg in the Wall Street Journal
    rolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great minds really do think alike I guess.

Apparently so. thumb.gif
    G5 4Gb Ram 23 " LCD.

Sweet! Didja get the dual 2.5ghz procs?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2004
    something fish-y
    fish wrote:
    Apparently so. thumb.gif

glad you're back :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 13, 2004
    fish wrote:

You betcha! And I did not get the 2nd 250Gb drive, but I will shortly.
    thumb.gif
    Good to see ya back on line.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 13, 2004
    fish, I will be over shortly to check/charge the batteries :D

Nice to hear from you and sorry you couldn't make breakfast last weekend.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2004
    andy wrote:
    glad you're back :Dthumb.gif

thanky.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    You betcha! And I did not get the 2nd 250Gb drive, but I will shortly.
    thumb.gif
    Good to see ya back on line.

Nice. I was gonna go that way until I realized I could get the whole G5 iMac for about the same price as the 20" cinema display rolleyes1.gif

I've got a gig of memory in it now, but I'll probably max it out at 2gb one of these days. So far, perf is quite good with Elements 3.0 and iTunes running. What more could I ask for? I'm sure the powermax screams compared to my little desktop, but it's working great for me. Way faster than my old AMD/winXP box with zero glitches.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2004
    I had read good things about you Fish...
    Welcome to apple land too. I love macs. For photostuff, there is no better. As you say, you can photoshop, listen to that nice mexican music broadcaster on live 365, have mail open, uploading to smugmug...
    I just got my new iMac G5, and it is now running smoothly after I fried it with the american voltage on the english mains. (Don't ask, I can read rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif). The 20 inch screen is a charm after working four years on a 12 inch ibook. The ibook is now used as travel photography companion.
    Welcome to mac land again...
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    fish, I will be over shortly to check/charge the batteries :D

Better bring some new ones...these are pretty tarred.
    Nice to hear from you and sorry you couldn't make breakfast last weekend.

ian

Breakfast?
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    I had read good things about you Fish...
    Really? Hmmm...didn't think there was any of that floating around headscratch.gif
    Welcome to apple land too. I love macs. For photostuff, there is no better. As you say, you can photoshop, listen to that nice mexican music broadcaster on live 365, have mail open, uploading to smugmug...
    Thanks. It's just too great. I got used to walking away from my winders box when I was uploading to smuggy, cuz everything would just crawl to a halt. I love UNIX :)
    I just got my new iMac G5, and it is now running smoothly after I fried it with the american voltage on the english mains. (Don't ask, I can read rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif). The 20 inch screen is a charm after working four years on a 12 inch ibook. The ibook is now used as travel photography companion.
    Welcome to mac land again...
    The 20" iMac is amazing! Crisp, clear, hi-res, quiet. I got memory envy from pathfinder, so I did the old switcheroo today. Upgraded my iMac to 2Gb, then handed-down the mem to upgrade fw's iMac to 1Gb, and the eMac to 512Mb.

On using the laptop as a travel companion, I recently got a Delkin cardbus32 CF adapter and it dumps big images at lightspeed. Waay faster than either USB or FW. check out http://www.delkin.com
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2004
    fish wrote:

Breakfast?
    See? You totally missed out. Our neighbors from across the board
    gathered up, ate breaky and went to the MC show.

Would 'a been good to see you.

Ian
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Really? Hmmm...didn't think there was any of that floating around headscratch.gif

I hope I am talking about the right person, I can be confused at times :D:D:D

On using the laptop as a travel companion, I recently got a Delkin cardbus32 CF adapter and it dumps big images at lightspeed. Waay faster than either USB or FW. check out http://www.delkin.com

I have one of those, won it in the AOP together with the iPod 20 gb.
    I have the feeling that I can not use it, because it is so slow that my iPod runs out of batteries whilst downloading. I read that if the batteries are down while you up-or download, that your pics can be lost and the card corrupted... So I only used it once...
    What am I doing wrong here?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2004
    Fish darling welcome back... it's been much too tame around here lately..1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Fish darling welcome back... it's been much too tame around here lately..1drink.gif
    Hiya lynnma wave.gif

I have a hard time believing that any forum where you are an active member could possibly be considered "tame."

Andy...yes, but not you. :D

So...I've been shooting, but not a whole lot of good shots. umph.gif

7638149-L.jpg

7638220-L.jpg
  • Options
    kirkmoonkirkmoon Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2004
    Hi Fish darling.

Geez. Did you have a pre-frontal lobotomy or something ????

The inmates over in JM have been reminiscing. They miss you. Go throw them some crumbs.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2004
    Hiya Kirkmoon!

Ian
  • Options
    kirkmoonkirkmoon Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2004
    Hi Ian. Just found this place via a link on the asylum. Nice place you have here. :D
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2004
    kirkmoon wrote:
    Hi Fish darling.
    Hi honey.
    Geez. Did you have a pre-frontal lobotomy or something ????
    Not that i recall...but i have been wondering what that grey spongy thing is floating in the jar on my desk. headscratch.gif

Shot my cousin at Thanksgiving...

11899633-M-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2004
    kirkmoon wrote:
    Hi Ian. Just found this place via a link on the asylum. Nice place you have here. :D
    Yeah, pretty cool. You should post some of your SFO stuff (nudge nudge...).

ian