Options

Wedding Photographer Needed

AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited September 11, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I wasn't sure where to ask this, so I asked it here.

Next July, my brother is getting married. I was wondering if anyone knew of any Wedding photographers, that they would recommend, that are near or would be willing to travel to the general area of Elmer, NJ.

The reason I ask is because the only photographs I know of in the area either (A) I'm not impressed at all or (B) They charge tons of money. I know shooting a wedding is hard work, the photographer usually deserves what they charge, and you often get what you pay for; however, we are on a budget.

It will not be a long wedding; I'm hoping to find someone with a good package for less than $700, but perhaps I am just dreaming.

I thank you for any information : ).
Nikon D50
Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
Nikon SB-800 Speedlight

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2006
    It will help prospective photographers a lot if you also gave info on the exact date, how long the wedding will be (total photography hours), how big the wedding party is, and how many guest are expected.

July tends to be a peak month, so hoping to find a bargain is going to be tricky unless you are only a few months out. Some photographers are willing to negotiate when it comes to short notice weddings if they are still unbooked for that date. So if you don't find anyone right away, keep looking, especially as the date gets closer.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    Andyman wrote:
    It will not be a long wedding; I'm hoping to find someone with a good package for less than $700, but perhaps I am just dreaming.

I thank you for any information : ).

Like Shay said someone who would normally charge way more might charge less if they are still unbooked say in May for a date in July. If you haven't set the time you might could get a photographer who has a evening wedding to do a 11am or 2pm smaller wedding on the same day for a lower than normal fee.

You may be able to book someone now for that amount, but you may only get 3 hours, not much time at all, or a inexperienced photographer. You may also get a photographer (children, portriat, etc) who doesn't normally do weddings to do it for that price. If it not a Saturday this would greatly increase your chances of accomplishing this.

But don't expect a Mercedes at the price of a Yugo. It don't happen. $700 is in the Yugo range.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    stephiewilliamsstephiewilliams Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2006
    Have you checked into any of the colleges/universities and or newspaper photographers? Sometimes someone who does not normally do weddings will give you a great price (700 is a bit low) just for the experience. If you do go this route make sure to look at samples, if not of weddings at least of portraits and shots with flash. Ask what they have for gear etc...IT IS TRUE you get what you pay for so a little research goes a long way.
    Stephie
    "AMATEURS try till they get it right, PROS try till they cannot possibly get it wrong."

Gallery - http://stephaniewilliams.smugmug.com